Sign in to follow this  
angedemort

New Pavement Type

With all the bothersome clay in the way of many roads (especially on Xanadu), and the several topics dedicated to the issue I think it's time for a simple answer to the problem. A new pavement type for the single purpose of paving over clay that when ripped up reverts back to clay.

I suggest using iron sheets which have no other purpose at the moment (according to the wiki) to create a metal walkway that's just as fast to walk over as cobblestone. This new road would be slightly harder to pave and rip up than cobblestone to prevent newer players from paving over everything or ripping up the sheets.

I think this provides an easy solution using something already in game that would require minimal effort to implement, although I really have no idea how hard it is to implement new actions to the game.

Opinions?

• Like 6

+1 

Just let us pave over clay and let it not turn to dirt. Make it happen. 

Since you cant build on pavement unless already deeded this would also prevent people from building on non deeded clay.

Once we get bridges (heh...) problem should be solved.

cant build on top of bridges. so problem wouldnt be solved. 

Edited by Killroth

OP didn't say anything about buildings, just about roads being blocked. Straight roads for the betterment of all I can support, but bad deed placement is your own problem.

I would rather see them work on bridges than new pavement.

I would love for bridges to be implemented as well but since that probably will not happen any time in the near future, I believe this would be a relatively easy fix that would see usefulness even after bridges were implemented, would you really want to build a bridge over a single clay tile that's messing up your sea side road?

iron/steel paving.

Rather see wood scraps get used if anything, but then personally i would like to see a trader item like a rod for this.

Edited by lawurm

iron/steel paving.

Rather see wood scraps get used if anything, but then personally i would like to see a trader item like a rod for this.

+1 to iron or something shard intensive  like slabs.

-1 to a new cash grab, wurm's expensive enough as it is.

iron/steel paving.

How about Wood Floor Boards going on clay, yet able to be dug?

+1 to any type of pavement for clay, with a different graphic, and keep the ability to dig it for clay infinitely as before.  This would prevent griefing low level players by paving public clay resources but give us faster travel over the tiles.

I would rather see them work on bridges than new pavement.

I agree, this is a problem which could reasonably be solved by the implementation of bridges.

Additionally, I suspect the primary reason clay is not already pavable is technical - currently any surface once paved essentially reverts to dirt, so the server doesn't have to "remember" what the tile was previously. There's also the issue of terraforming, which can be done on paved surfaces. A new paving type doesn't really help with this unless it can exclusively be used on clay.

Edited by JasonSwift

what's your issue with using metal to pave? Wood scraps already have a number of uses such as fuel, fences, kindling, and making fires, i don't think they need another whereas iron sheets have none atm.

for me its just a realism thing, now if we had blue metal / iron ore i would be down for that but really a metal plate for paving? its just to silly for my taste but each to there own  :D

Additionally, I suspect the primary reason clay is not already pavable is technical - currently any surface once paved essentially reverts to dirt, so the server doesn't have to "remember" what the tile was previously. There's also the issue of terraforming, which can be done on paved surfaces. A new paving type doesn't really help with this unless it can exclusively be used on clay.

That's why I'm suggesting a completely new type of pavement, one coded to only go on clay so that the game doesn't have to check for previous tile properties, just once this gets ripped up the tile is clay again since this type of pavement can only be put on clay tiles. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to also turn off terraforming on this pavement as well to preserve the properties of clay (annoying as they may be).

How about Wood Floor Boards going on clay, yet able to be dug?

+1 to any type of pavement for clay, with a different graphic, and keep the ability to dig it for clay infinitely as before.  This would prevent griefing low level players by paving public clay resources but give us faster travel over the tiles.

Floor boards are already used for paving marsh and have the issue of converting the tile to dirt if ripped up (as do all current paving materials as JasonSwift mentioned)

Pleeeeeease. Please please please please. Allow us to pave clay. I really have no preference to what materials are used. Wood. Stone. Gravel. Gold. Silver. This is far far overdue. We need some way to pave clay so it is easier to traverse, especially on clay laden Xanadu. Please. +++++++++++++++++++++1,000,000.

Pleeeeeease. Please please please please. Allow us to pave clay. I really have no preference to what materials are used. Wood. Stone. Gravel. Gold. Silver. This is far far overdue. We need some way to pave clay so it is easier to traverse, especially on clay laden Xanadu. Please. +++++++++++++++++++++1,000,000.

Little excited?

No, it's simply been wanted for a long time by many people. Like cannons, it's been presented from time to time. Unlike cannons it makes sense.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Once we get bridges (heh...) problem should be solved.

Bridges require a lot more work, need maintenance, and look kind of dumb compared to roads when negotiating some obstacles. They are not the solution to everything.

I think a pavement type that can go over clay and peat would be really nice. I think reducing floorboards down to like 5 planks and making them able to go over peat and clay would be a good solution.

Edited by Eldurian