Sign in to follow this  
oldwarsong

Linux Mint 17 x64 crash

I have no logs to upload as the system completely freezes. This has been on going and recently after speaking with a GM on a unrelated issue we began talking about these freezes. He told me it was due to openJDK (reported and known issue) and told me to switch to Oracle Java which I did. The game has been running fine for the past 3 days since that discussion, but the freezes have returned and it is happening within minutes of login into the game. As I said there is no accompying log files or system logs as the freeze prevents anything from being recorded.

System:

AMD Phenom II x4

12GB Ram @ 1600mhz

1TB Toshiba HD

AMD 7850 (using fglrx drivers provided through the device manager)

Built-in Audio

Java version:

java version "1.8.0_20"
Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_20-b26)
Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.20-b23, mixed mode)

I am purging 8 out and going to reinstall with Java 7 and see if that helps this problem out.

Double check for console.YourLogin.log and it's contents in Wurm installation directory.

If there's nothing in it, try updating fglrx drivers. Or use beta drivers if they're up to date.

My previous laptop had a 5470, with an AMD CPU and Wurm ran just fine on Debian testing (jessie) with latest beta versions of fglrx.

Both with OpenJDK and Oracle's JRE.

Edited by Twinsen

they are both the same and I have never had any luck installing the drivers straight from amd.

If your system completely freezes, then it is likely to be an issue either with the graphics driver (fglrx)

or the system hardware under stress (cpu or ram overheating, etc).  Check the kernel log in /var/log/kern.log

to see what the last few messages were before you had to reboot.  I have successfully used openjdk 7,

and oracle version 8.  Switching java version probably is not going to make a difference with your system

freezing.  Try updating to the latest fglrx and make sure your fans are clean and running smoothly.

Your PC is a beast but can you give some details to your GPU pls?