Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Testing spell tweaks

Can we get an official testing thread posted in the testing section so we can see the reports of test results as they come

I don't really think cooldowns are inferior, having used them ingame for so long for spells that we currently use it's proven to be an effective and simple system

The favor drain is a neat idea but I feel it will be more of an annoyance than a fix.  There are still plenty of ways around this.  High faith (champions make this easy), half favor title, linking with other priests, these are work arounds for gem usage, but cooldowns on the spells themselves prevent these workarounds entirely.

I personally feel cooldowns on aoe spells and overheating for those spells without cooldowns (fireheart, rotting gut, etc) are a very good combination just need some tweaking

• Like 4

Spells shouldn't have cooldown in the 1st place...nothing in pvp should have cooldown..make people have to link 10 priests to cast a spell(pvp related!)..but cooldown is not fun in a pvp environment...if the emphasis on pvp is not on spells..and more of slashing..then increase the requirements..am sure no one would let 2-3 linked priests cast a lot of spells..or maybe see to it that spells have a chance to dmg allies too..then and only then it will be truly balanced.

PS: If you manage to get 10 sec timer for 10 favor..the very next day..u will see interesting remarks and polls on suggestion forums started by pve players..and yes..the pve players outnumber the ones on pvp..all democracy...go for something which doesn't influence pve servers..if it makes them happier with few new spells..isn't it good? no one should have to feel that their investment was wrong..new spells please...nothing else...maybe one player might be demanding this..but this makes much more sense than anything else.

Its your game..you make the rules..if 10 people decide whats "Good" it can never work out..it will always be "Bad"..i think devs should have a player team with "good mind" to help them decide whats good and what needs implementation..and the people should ask the "good minded players" 1st and then the "proper requirements" should be forwarded and implemented...or you can always play the game and see what needs done.

Edited by Hashirama

I think the issue with cooldowns were more directed towards enchanting - where you may need to do dozens of casts in order to get a decent enchant.

With combat, cooldowns on spells make a lot more sense - Light of Fo for example, which can full heal entire groups of people constantly is a MASSIVE impact to a fight, and has no cooldown, so it can be spammed. Fire pillar, which is a glorified fireworks display, has a cooldown. Honestly, every combat spell should have a cooldown of some sort. Keeping track of the timers isn't an issue, because if you attempt to cast it early, event straight up tells you how long you have left to wait. And it's not like you're casting 20 different spells during combat either, usually just a few. Lib are pretty much the only ones with several viable combat spells and so may have a harder time tracking their cooldowns. Which could be quite easily addressed by adding a spell-bar similar to the toolbelt.

As I said previously, this change as it is affects ALL spell casting in combat if it's relying on gems for favour, not just the spells you specifically listed as being issues.

• Like 3

Mfw fo lib and vyn pvp priests are nerfed into decorations while mag remains pretty much remains unaffected

• Like 2

yeah man when mag wants to throw down a firepillar and then vessel a gem back for the rez or dmg bonus. Yeah mag deffo unaffected......

sometimes these threads hurt my brain

• Like 1

yeah man when mag wants to throw down a firepillar and then vessel a gem back for the rez or dmg bonus. Yeah mag deffo unaffected......

sometimes these threads hurt my brain

Yep, no combat spells unless you're gatehopping

Or flee just to drain and then stop if you're being chased LOL

Edited by Derp

Oh also this is going to create a massive window of oppurtunity for channeling grinding.

Just to explain on the Freedom cluster the only way you can reliably 'grind' channeling is to burn through gems by casting vessel on them; most people try and get <10ql gems that you just cast over and over but it's also possible to do it on higher quality gems; but you need to time it really well and cast then immedietly draw all the power from them and cast again only using 3ql of the gem at a time; if there was any sort of timer it makes it impossible as you would fill the gem with heaps of favor and waste most of it.

It doesen't bother me too much since I've got a priest with almost 95 channeling but sucks for everyone else if this isn't considered.

Not really Gavin. You cast alot of gems higher ql then drain the power from all of them at once and cast some spells.

But yeah i also dont like this change. I would agree with that overheating idea

Edited by Stinky

Not really Gavin. You cast alot of gems higher ql then drain the power from all of them at once and cast some spells.

You need to wait for 7,5 favor then which can take a minute or so; if you drain immedietly before you get the first favor tick you should have between 7 and 8 favor so can cast straight away with no waiting.

You need to wait for 7,5 favor then which can take a minute or so; if you drain immedietly before you get the first favor tick you should have between 7 and 8 favor so can cast straight away with no waiting.

mostly around 10. If you always cast with 7.5 - 8ish you get more skill from one gem

We can add channeling skill while draining to counter the window of opportunity.

I personally don't think cooldowns are a more logical and better way any longer. Keeping track of the different cooldowns will be annoying even if we add graphics for it.

I suspect that you're stuck in mass hysteria. Partly based on that I initially suggested and implemented cooldowns and Eeeveryone voted them down. Now you ask for it like crazy.

Now I suggest this system instead, which I believe is a lot better. Now you vote this system down.

Please take another round of thinking and make sure we don't implement an inferior (cooldown) system.

If in your opinion cooldowns are an inferior system, why do some spells still have cooldowns, Especially those totally unlinked to PvP?

For example, courier has a 3(?) minute cooldown, but uses 30 favor is is low difficulty so there's no risk of it being used to grind. Just curious as to why some spells use an 'inferior system' and some don't.

• Like 1

We can add channeling skill while draining to counter the window of opportunity.

I personally don't think cooldowns are a more logical and better way any longer. Keeping track of the different cooldowns will be annoying even if we add graphics for it.

I suspect that you're stuck in mass hysteria. Partly based on that I initially suggested and implemented cooldowns and Eeeveryone voted them down. Now you ask for it like crazy.

Now I suggest this system instead, which I believe is a lot better. Now you vote this system down.

Please take another round of thinking and make sure we don't implement an inferior (cooldown) system.

Rolf i think the whole priest system needs tweeking,

Please make other priest onpar or pull Mag priest into line along with the others.

2 passive bonus's why would MAG even want to cast anything?! 

PLES ROLF 

• Like 2

Cooldowns/burnout would be better, imo.

yet we all complained when everything had a cooldown?

No wonder Rolf has bald patches

Edited by Shadz
  • Like 1

Would it not be simpler, and more logical, to just add a cooldown timer to those spells much like Firepillar (which is a steaming pile of crap of a spell, compared to those mentioned above)?

Interesting idea though it affects EVERY spell rather than just the ones you wanted to address.

^^^^^^

+1

gj keep nerfing hots might aswell delete us again.

Edited by Danny

From a freedomer point of view adding channeling gains while draining would counter the negative effects (of using more SB to grind channeling) that appear with this update.

I would be happy with that and would re-balance the PvE part.

Sounds like a good approach, sounds better than cooldowns, especially because it's simpler. If you have cooldowns then you need to somehow display which spells are on cooldown and how long it will be until they are off cooldown, so that's more interface clutter. I also feel that cooldowns don't make much sense; After casting one spell, why can't you cast it again even though you can still cast every other spell you know? How do you explain that lore wise? I feel the only time that cooldowns do make sense is when everything goes on cooldown after casting one spell, as that can represent that the caster needs to recover from the cast.

True that it does affect channeling grinding with gems, but couldn't you remove that issue by requiring the usage of the drain timer only when in combat, or when an enemy is near (or say, if you've been in or near combat in the last X minutes)? When not in combat you could gain the favor instantly, just as how it works at the moment. All that channeling grinding is unlikely to occur in combat, so problem solved. Channeling gain while draining probably also does the trick, or just increasing channeling gain slightly across the board.

Edited by Ecrir

yet we all complained when everything had a cooldown?

No wonder Rolf has bald patches

Define "we", and this is clearly about combat spells not enchants.

sometimes these threads hurt my brain.

Sure, cause you all need to cast fire pilar? only one is active anyway, i'm sure your 100 faith champ with title can manage without loosing his bonus.

Pillar sucks anyway, you know fine well how much this fucks everyone but mag priests who are already awesome.

I think it be a good system to add if as Rolf you said, chanelling gain can be buffed. Bring on this new system !!!

Juki don't take the troll bait. Even rolf knows not to listen to them.

Edited by demondan

People will always downvote changes that affect them negatively, if it hurts BL, BL will -1. If it hurts WL, WL will -1.

I personally thing it's a mix of this idea Rolf has, and a few minor cool downs or something on pvp spells, OR it all needs to be scrapped and balanced.

Either people have to be unified and patch the leaks together, or just let them sink and build a new ship.

Sure, cause you all need to cast fire pilar? only one is active anyway, i'm sure your 100 faith champ with title can manage without loosing his bonus.

Pillar sucks anyway, you know fine well how much this fucks everyone but mag priests who are already awesome.

What title? And what have titles to do with spells/priest balancing? o.O

And yes, pillars suck. So does Fireheart. Fungus isn't far behind. But then, weakness, pain rain, all of this etc. The whole system is unfair to others in different ways. No single priest is especially OP, but shine in different situations.

• Like 1

I think the issue with cooldowns were more directed towards enchanting - where you may need to do dozens of casts in order to get a decent enchant.

With combat, cooldowns on spells make a lot more sense - Light of Fo for example, which can full heal entire groups of people constantly is a MASSIVE impact to a fight, and has no cooldown, so it can be spammed. Fire pillar, which is a glorified fireworks display, has a cooldown. Honestly, every combat spell should have a cooldown of some sort. Keeping track of the timers isn't an issue, because if you attempt to cast it early, event straight up tells you how long you have left to wait. And it's not like you're casting 20 different spells during combat either, usually just a few. Lib are pretty much the only ones with several viable combat spells and so may have a harder time tracking their cooldowns. Which could be quite easily addressed by adding a spell-bar similar to the toolbelt.

As I said previously, this change as it is affects ALL spell casting in combat if it's relying on gems for favour, not just the spells you specifically listed as being issues.

+1