Sign in to follow this  
Miretta

Animations exaggerated, Horizon Reflections, Texture distortion (ground)

Specifications:

Windows 7 professional 64 bit

Service Pack 1

intel core i5-4570 processor 3.2GHz

RAM 4GB

Intel HD 4600 onboard graphics card

For a long time I had a weird graphic glitch, that terrain reflections were showing up in the Horizon of the Sea, but still also showing correctly at the same time where it is supposed to be.

bwntvMi.jpg

So I tried yesterday to update my graphics card driver (intel HD 4600) it was on the state of 06/2013.

The new driver is the latest non beta driver from intel (05/2014) and everything worked fine EXCEPT for wurm, which suddenly had extremly exaggerated animations for everything (except spiders so far) and additionally still the screwed up reflections:

edit: the way it looks now, its possible that the animations itself are working fine, but the skinning of some of the models is not. It also affects house doors.

8w3x2Wj.png

so far what I tried to resolve the issue:

-downgrading driver to one version before the latest driver (03/2014) no change

turning every graphics setting off or on low (except for animations, reflections and texture sizes)

to make tests with the intel workarounds and I tried this with both stable and unstable client:

-turning off VBO -->animations working properly, no weird horizon reflections, but ground tile textures are moving when I move, have completely wrong textures on them, lighting not working

IbuPTCD.jpg

ground tiles:

SFlTS7s.jpg

-turning off multidraw+disabling VBO --> ground tiles bugged from turning off VBO

-turning off multidraw --> no changes

-turning off GLSL shader -->animations working proper, no reflections at all, ground tiles distorted but only showing dirt texture instead of normal one

ebEnEp3.jpg

-turning off occlusion --> no changes

-turning off FBO --> no lighting, no reflections, not fixing anything regarding animations

-motherboards manufacturers side driver update (01/2014) --> seems the black spots i experienced before in the distorted terrain are gone, else no change

-windows updates, since it has some update for my graphics card --> no change

edit: when I only turn off animations, but nothing else that fixed the animations so far, the 3d models are distorted anyway

-when I was testing a spider attacked me and it didn't have those same animation issues, but horses, my character and tower guards did have screwed up animations (didnt see more)

sidenote: before i started updating the graphics driver I was installing and deinstalling java several times, but game was running fine after I managed to install ONLY 64 bit java, so I assume it's not related to the graphical glitches at all, but instead somehow related to intel drivers.

Edited by Miretta

I only have the water reflection problem which is VERY annyoing because sometimes with that is hard to tell where the water is shallow and where it is not (because the reflections cover everything)

AMD GPU

Win 7 x64 Pro

Having the reflection issue since....too long ago cannot remember (around the time period the lightning 'improvement' from beta to 1.0)

Personally I dont think this is fixable with a intel graphics card. I have seen and helped many people with similar problems, but it is either a distorted ground or the weird people and animals

Dual-graphics card laptops etc are easy to fix this (force the laptop to use the powerful one rather then intel) but any system with just an Intel card, for as far as I know, has to live with either the ground being weird, or the animations being weird. It is the intel card not supporting things (intel integrated cards are not really meant to play games and although many might work great, many wont)

I know this is probably not something you want to hear, but in the last year of trying to help people with this exact problem I found the only sure fix would be to upgrade to a decent graphics card. You dont have to get a top of the line one, I use one at home from almost a decade ago, a nvidia geforce GT 8600 which runs wurm just fine and I doubt it will be expensive (if it is available at all still). A better one is always nicer of course, but there should be enough wurm-capable options for people with a small budget and if you try ebay (or similar) you might end up with a decent one for 20 EUR. I would recommend a nvidia for wurm. AMD/ATI can work but many do experience big problems with them as well. (I have a relatively new AMD card and wurm didnt even start and downgraded to my nvidia from a decade ago just to make wurm work)

I hope of course that I am wrong and someone can post a fix and correct me so I am able to help future people with it too, but i am afraid for now this is the only option that I personally have found :(

I wish you good luck regardless and I hope you end up with a solution that fits for you!

Edited by Viti

the funny thing is though, that BEFORE i tried updating the graphics driver (bought this pc this year) there was ONLY the reflection issue, none of those other problems, so I feel a little cheated, because it means the graphics card itself COULD do, but the drivers screwed it up.

My hope is though, that I can make further test if needed for the developers, in case they can make yet another change for intel fixes :)

Personally I dont think this is fixable with a intel graphics card. I have seen and helped many people with similar problems, but it is either a distorted ground or the weird people and animals

Dual-graphics card laptops etc are easy to fix this (force the laptop to use the powerful one rather then intel) but any system with just an Intel card, for as far as I know, has to live with either the ground being weird, or the animations being weird. It is the intel card not supporting things (intel integrated cards are not really meant to play games and although many might work great, many wont)

I know this is probably not something you want to hear, but in the last year of trying to help people with this exact problem I found the only sure fix would be to upgrade to a decent graphics card. You dont have to get a top of the line one, I use one at home from almost a decade ago, a nvidia geforce GT 8600 which runs wurm just fine and I doubt it will be expensive (if it is available at all still). A better one is always nicer of course, but there should be enough wurm-capable options for people with a small budget and if you try ebay (or similar) you might end up with a decent one for 20 EUR. I would recommend a nvidia for wurm. AMD/ATI can work but many do experience big problems with them as well. (I have a relatively new AMD card and wurm didnt even start and downgraded to my nvidia from a decade ago just to make wurm work)

I hope of course that I am wrong and someone can post a fix and correct me so I am able to help future people with it too, but i am afraid for now this is the only option that I personally have found :(

I wish you good luck regardless and I hope you end up with a solution that fits for you!

As per my post above

I have reflection issues on AMD as well

i see more and more posts on the forums from people having the exact same problem with animations.

I just bought a new MSI GS60 Ghostpro 3k with the GTX870M and am getting the same graphics errors as the guard with wings as arms and some creatures are disfigured as well. Tried the same VBO and GLSL check boxes and charactors return to normal but landscape is crap. So....not just an intel,AMD issue I guess. I am not sure what else to try as my crap laptop with Intel, AMD was not having this issue.

Update, since NVidia doesn't consider Java a game engine, it never switched from Intel over to the GTX870M. After configuring it the NVidia control panel under 3D setting, it works fine now. Thanks for the post Thorakkanath, got me searching the web and got on the right track thanks to you.

• Like 2

I have some update regarding my tests, I found out that the shadow resolution, when having VBO turned off, is increasing/decreasing the range of the tile distortion:

low shadow res:

VrWEFmA.jpg

medium:

69Eh2tt.jpg

high:

KaSzYmW.jpg

not sure if wurm devs can even do anything about it, but since I could play wurm without these issue with the intel graphics card at some point, there may be a solution somewhere...I hope

Only "fix" I know of is to switch to using Linux as the OpenGL implementation in the drivers is far less buggy.

Update, since NVidia doesn't consider Java a game engine, it never switched from Intel over to the GTX870M. After configuring it the NVidia control panel under 3D setting, it works fine now. Thanks for the post Thorakkanath, got me searching the web and got on the right track thanks to you.

worked for me , thx =D