Sign in to follow this  
gnomegates

A thief on Release! (Warning) KoS's being issued!

So I log in this morning and find one of my Large carts missing. It was in a house I own the writ to, and was on my own deed. After some searching I find it 1 tile off deed next to the shore line (I live on an island) and it is empty. Now yes, it was not locked, and that is my bad. As I'm told by the GM team carts and boat settings override even house and deed settings. So Yes I am at fault for not having this one cart locked. However, there is still intent involved. Regardless of if I'm at fault or not, someone had the intent to go thru my stuff at my deed until they found something that they could help themselves to. This shows that they had the intent to steal should they find the chance, and they did.

A suggestion that I would like to make to the Devs is to include the lock on all boats and carts as an item that must be added to complete building. This way there is no chance that people forget to add locks and can lose stuff.

The value of the stuff lost is not huge, my thoughts is around 40-50s, there was an enchanted rare butcher knife that was taken that was the bulk of the value. The bigger issue is the fact that there is nothing that can be done. The cart was in my name, in my house on my deed, and someone was able to drag it off deed and unload the stuff into a ship and sail away, and there is nothing that can be done.

I have my theories about who it might be, there has been recently a group of people meeting on the island next to me. They seem to come thru the epic portal and it seems they are doing priest stuff while here. I find it suspicious that the same week that these 8-11 people show up, I start missing stuff.

This leads me to the only step I can take, and that is to put every person on Kill on Sight that comes in local of one of my 3 deeds. The only people that I will not be putting on there are people that I feel I can trust, my friends and family. With the way the game is designed, this seems to be the only option besides walling in my entire island, which will now be finished because people feel that they can take anything they want that is not theirs.

Be warned, lock your carts, your boats, your doors, your homes, everything, because the silvers you spend on your deed to have it "secure" does not seem to be enough.

• Like 2

This also happened to a cart on my deed, Castamere. A cart parked in a fenced enclosure was moved a significant distance to off-deed. The horses hitched to the cart are now missing and the items in the cart are gone. If you positively identify the thief, please let me know so that I can also place that individual on KOS.

If I ever find out the name for sure, yes indeed I will share, but the GM's won't share any info with me. I have a list of 11 name of the "strangers" that started to meet on the other island last week, but other then that I have no idea. Until we know, every name I don't know goes on KoS :(

And to me as well. A well-equipped horse was taken from one of my carts a few days ago.

I was able to identify the thief, thanks to my alliance mates. He had a newbie tent (the horse was hitched to it). He is most certainly not a new player, though, as he was purchasing some items from my alliance mates, and clearly knew which horse to steal, and how.

Of course, there is no evidence to link these occurrences, and, in fact, it seems unrelated to Gnome's incident. Perhaps Jason's.

Edited by LaRue

Rules weren't broken, your responsibility to keep items secured.

This is why names are not revealed.

Just remember you can never be too safe, even if you still feel unsecure after locking all up, make an alt account and try to steal from yourself.

• Like 3

I fully understand that rules were not broken, and that names cannot be given, but I hope that the rules or settings can be changed, I pay 50$ a month to play this game, I pay 20s a month to keep my deeds "secure" things need to be changed so that if something is on my deed, it is mine, I should not have to worry about it. I pay for it, but yet not "everything" is secure. I should not have to lock everything up on something that I pay for.

• Like 2

How hard is it to throw a lock on your cart.....

I've given this example before but here we go again.

If you leave your car unlocked in a carpark and it gets stolen you don't come back and say 

"This isn't fair, there shouldn't be thieves in this world!"

You say "Well that was dumb, i realy wish i had locked my car before i left"

Just like the real world if you don't take steps to secure your belongings then they are at risk of losing them. People are warned on this at multiple occasions in game.

Also like the real world just because you pay for something it doesn't magically make it secure. We all take steps to prevent theft but nobody is perfect.

Cut your losses and take it as a lesson.

If you leave your car unlocked in a carpark and it gets stolen you don't come back and say 

You say "Well that was dumb, i realy wish i had locked my car before i left"

Just like the real world if you don't take steps to secure your belongings then they are at risk of losing them. People are warned on this at multiple occasions in game.

Also like the real world just because you pay for something it doesn't magically make it secure. We all take steps to prevent theft but nobody is perfect.

Cut your losses and take it as a lesson.

Edited by gnomegates
  • Like 4

Some what odd analogy Deathly , even if I left a car unlocked thieves would be prosecuted , changes have been made to make items on deed more secure ie people not in village unable to put locks on BSB's so on , its not unreasonable for Gnomegates to suggest making it so stuff on ones own deed is secure from pilfering ,does not seem unreasonable to me cant see why others deem it so ( just my opinion ) 

• Like 1

You say "Well that was dumb, i realy wish i had locked my car before

this game is f2p, not p2p

it's totally your decision to go p2p.

im still f2p, as i pay my prems with ingame coins :)

• Like 1

The permissions are with the vehicle (cart) you failed to mine a single ore to smelt and make a lock to secure it. The deed permissions can only stop people from taking items out of the cart while it is on deed.

• Like 1

The permissions are with the vehicle (cart) you failed to mine a single ore to smelt and make a lock to secure it. The deed permissions can only stop people from taking items out of the cart while it is on deed.

How come they also had access to the house that the cart was in?

So I log in this morning and find one of my Large carts missing. It was in a house I own the writ to, and was on my own deed. After some searching I find it 1 tile off deed next to the shore line (I live on an island) and it is empty. Now yes, it was not locked, and that is my bad

No one can drag a large cart of a house if they are not the owner of the cart, locked or not. Exceptions are those who are on the house writ. So your story does not follow the facts of game coding. Another exception would be if there are horses hitched to it, then even on deed tiles it can be mounted as driver and ridden away by anyone; but, you made no mention of horses being hitched to it.

Without a large padlock on a large cart even any settings on it have no effect. Still, if someone does not own a large cart and drags it onto a deed tile and stops dragging, then they can't drag it away again if they are not a citizen of that deed. Something in your description does not add up here. To suggest to others that they should be concerned about having their large cart taken out of their house even if it is not padlocked is inaccurate, nor even that items can be taken out of it within that house. Someone would have to be on the writ in order to do this or be the owner of that cart.

=Ayes=

I beg you to get with the GM's then cuz they said in fact that it can happen and it did happen, so not sure what your talking about. The cart was inside of a house, now the house is made up of arches but that does not matter, it was still under the roof inside of the house!

Everything adds up, check with the GM's, I talked to one and had it explained to me.

The fact that someone waited for the four hours Gnome was logged off to go into his house and test his luck with stuff, shows an intention to grief.  There is a game mechanic that says lock your cart or house, or it can be entered, but there is also the Code of Conduct that says "The game provides several mechanisms by which you, the player, can secure both your possessions and your peace of mind.  Purchasing a deed provides you with a plot of land that is totally protected from the actions of other players while still allowing for interaction and collaboration with other players via a variety of deed management settings.  For those that choose not to purchase a deed, the game mechanics on the Freedom server still offer several methods of protection. "  According to this, purchasing a deed should be the top tier of being "totally protected" from the "actions of other players".  It should not be possible for randoms to enter your deed and take your items from your house or your fields or wherever, on your deed.  As per code of conduct, the deed should provide total protection, locks or no locks...why is this not happening?

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 1

First, Someone bought those coins so it's not free.

Now, Deed it or Lose it? He deeded it. He still lost it. This is not Epic. This is not Chaos. There's more holes in security on Freedom than there are in a sieve. It was in a writ on a deed and was stolen because it wasn't locked which is his fault? If he parked it in his perim outside a writ or fence, I would send him my condolences. For the Secure Bubble argument people, take it elsewhere. This is Freedom. Your bubble is only insecure to an aggro mob and shitty security rules. For the Real Life argument people, as someone said, the legal system prosecutes theft and vandalism even off your lawn and unlocked. So you Realism argument people always want it real when it gives a loophole but don't want it real when it takes away something of value. In short, all of these arguments thrown at Gnome here are excuses to glaze over bad mechanics and rules.

EDIT: I removed something I should not have said.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 2

The fact that someone waited for the four hours Gnome was logged off to go into his house and test his luck with stuff, shows an intention to grief.  There is a game mechanic that says lock your cart or house, or it can be entered, but there is also the Code of Conduct that says "The game provides several mechanisms by which you, the player, can secure both your possessions and your peace of mind.  Purchasing a deed provides you with a plot of land that is totally protected from the actions of other players while still allowing for interaction and collaboration with other players via a variety of deed management settings.  For those that choose not to purchase a deed, the game mechanics on the Freedom server still offer several methods of protection. "  According to this, purchasing a deed should be the top tier of being "totally protected" from the "actions of other players".  It should not be possible for randoms to enter your deed and take your items from your house or your fields or wherever, on your deed.  As per code of conduct, the deed should provide total protection, locks or no locks...why is this not happening?

I cannot agree with this more! Thank you Fairy for putting to words how this issue should be addressed!