Sign in to follow this  
eldarian

Spawns

If you have lots of people, especially daily hunters, in south Xan constantly killing things 

There isn't more people in the South.

I live on the (north)west coast, the community here like hunting. We have spawns of lava spiders, normal spiders, trolls, goblins, black bears, etc.  We have killed them every day or every other day, new ones keep respawning every day, plus all the random mobs such as wolves, lions, few anacondas etc., and the non-aggro ones.  Not in huge numbers, but adequte.... the numbers are higher on the north coast.

All these animals have spawned here on a daily basis, they don't come from anywhere else.

The figures look as I would expect, fewer mobs per tile on Xanadu because it is the largest server. Plenty of mobs overall though.

Re. the lack of creatures in the South, I am beginning to expect that is a lasting feature that the devs have ninjaed in. And I like it, basic regionality at last :) something I have dreamed about since I started the game

So, to those of you in the South that are crying about their FS.  Why would you even want your FS to go up? There are no mobs threatening you in your region, it is simply a peaceful area, and that skill is irrelevant to you.

Leave the South if  you want fights is my advise.

/exits before ****storm. 

ya don't comment about cryign you really don't know what your talking about....plus this thread isnt about fs this thread is abotu the simple fact there ar eno spawns including domestic animals int he south....

Also to use everyones minds i have comfirmation from one of the devs here is their reply after linking them thread.

Hello!

Thank you for your kind words. It is truly rewarding becomming a parent!

We are aware of the problem but thank you for bringing it up.

It is something unfortunately that is not easily fixed but I will inform the community as soon as we make progress.

Hope you have yourself a great weekend!

So to all you players who seem to think there isn't and issue there is so stop telling people to stop crying and start looking at the facts. the spawns on xanadu are screwed up and they ain't suppose to be...its that simple. so stop putting down the ones who are stating there is a problem just because ur humble little home has a ton of spawns in there area....

• Like 1

Also for everyone who seems to think the issues only in the south east im the originator of this post and i'm in the south west. the issue is the south period...all the mobs are in the north and spawning in the north..its similiar to the bug they fixed awhile back when all the mobs inside  a pen would all go to the north part of the pens eating all the grass and never really moving...it is the same concept as that issue they fixed about 6 months ago or so....except it is effected int he spawns....as you can see in previous statement redbaron replied about this topic to me, there is an issue, and they are working on a solution.

There isn't more people in the South.

I live on the (north)west coast, the community here like hunting. We have spawns of lava spiders, normal spiders, trolls, goblins, black bears, etc.  We have killed them every day or every other day, new ones keep respawning every day, plus all the random mobs such as wolves, lions, few anacondas etc., and the non-aggro ones.  Not in huge numbers, but adequte.... the numbers are higher on the north coast.

All these animals have spawned here on a daily basis, they don't come from anywhere else.

Glasshollow has a lot of folks around it but I would plan a trip to the SW, and then say there are not more people down there ;)

Edited by conmcb25

The spawnrate in the north has been decreasing over the past week or so.

• Like 1

Yes Alyeska but now im getting a ton of Hell Horses :)

I should repfrase that;

The spawnrate of nonagros has been decreasing, agros are still spawning like before :)

I suspect the seals that were buffed in spawnrate may have to do with this

I should repfrase that;

The spawnrate of nonagros has been decreasing, agros are still spawning like before :)

I should repfrase that;

Cannot confirm from the region round Lake Vrock (the lake north of Vrock Landing).

We see a massive change in spawning behaviour both for hostile and neutral creatures. Many lairs seem to be spawning close to nothing. Spawn on steppe (not on grass, steppe only) seems to be incredible high. Grass spawns only rooster and hens.

I suggest that you guys post your observations in this thread (http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/109208-news-update-work-and-progress-week-35/) because ErikN is working on the issue and watching that thread. Although he seems to be focusing on migration of mobs while I believe that we have a broken spawning system.

The area around Linton has quite a good bit of the wee beasties

I've read somewhere "back to normal", maybe, but not everywhere.

Picture taken east of Vrock Lake at E15, all the forest in front of the photo (north) are full of those.

W3bGofx.jpg

I must admit there were more mobs around P22 the other day. Not as many as in that screenshot though.

First off the OP is in a high population area. Second the OP is in the south of Xan. So lots of guards and low respawn equals not a lot of mobs. Where I live the number of mobs goes from fair to few. Fair when no one comes through killing everything in sight. Few after they have done that. It takes a couple months to get back up to fair. 

So, what's needed for a server as big as Xan is a regional spawn rate. That would help with how things in south of Xan are.

+1 to OP

Now that I have either, kited a few Bears into the water, or had my Spirit Guard slay the others, there really isn't much around at all. Spirit Guard killed off 9 separate entities, at most.

So I must agree, the spawn rate is too slow.

Please fix.

Whatever the cause, the difference North/South across the very noticeable.

There was a report in the weekly updates a long time ago, week 35 last year, that the mob issue was being looked at. It would be nice if there was an update on any progress with investigating this problem. I hope that some of the investigation work has been done on a live server, and not just on Erik's private test server. Something that works, and looks good, on a small 4x4km server might not scale to a server the size of Xanadu.

Previously, I have speculated that the spawn code either starts in the North - or if random is flawed and prefers the north - and simple spawns up to the limit before getting any distance to the south. I suspect that when the critter count was last increased, a while ago, that the spawner either didn't check the local critter density, or it was at a level that meant that the available spawns were used mainly in the north. If the spawner has since been updated, or fixed, it could take sometime for the mob distribution to alter as existing critters need to die to be re-spawned elsewhere.

Popped by Pillows's deed earlier, and 'Get Info' shows a good number of critters, about 90, but the vast majority are all 'quite some distance' (50+ tiles) inland. So, it is not unlike other areas in the north.

Edited by Wulfmaer
  • Like 1

My guess is that this unusual N/S spawning situation was looked into, worked on for a while and was found to be some complex coding series which could not be easily figured out or resolved within some reasonable timeframe that was devoted to it. Then Dev time was moved on to be devoted to other more productive efforts.

So to provide some leeway nothing further has been stated about it, rather than some vague response saying something like, "Yes, we are aware of this problem and may get back to it in the future as time allows."

=Ayes=

My guess is that this unusual N/S spawning situation was looked into, worked on for a while and was found to be some complex coding series which could not be easily figured out or resolved within some reasonable timeframe that was devoted to it. Then Dev time was moved on to be devoted to other more productive efforts.

So to provide some leeway nothing further has been stated about it, rather than some vague response saying something like, "Yes, we are aware of this problem and may get back to it in the future as time allows."

=Ayes=

I suspect that is the case.

However, areas that are cleared (or at least have the numbers substantially reduced) recently don't appear to increase at the same rate they once did, or return to the same number of mobs. Which might indicate that something has changed since the original increase.

IMO, Wurm doesn't have the capacity to service hunters and breeders on Xan. Its time to start thinking outside the box....

We had those discussions and suggestions 5 years ago on indy... and nothing changed since.

The problem isn't with breeders or hunters or sharing, the problem is with a FUBAR spawn system (that's even more FU on a larger server) and broken mob AI.

The other option would be that rolf doesn't give a crap about it. Considering how many issues go on unfixed for years and years, i'm not sure which one is more likely.

Bump. To those of us waiting a yearish now it is a bit more important than WU. Could we get some Dev feedback on this please? :(

Edited by Chiqa

Well i certainly wouldnt mind having a few less things trying to kill me up here in the north, having 6 trolls, 7 huge spiders, gods knows how many hellhounds/scorpious, bears, anacondas, crocs, you name it, all jump me within aboutt 1 minute. I cant walk from my deed without dieing, have to sail.

Edited by Bronwynn
  • Like 1

• Possible fix for uneven creature distribution on large maps. Seeing the result of this will probably take a week or two and note that creatures usually don’t spawn in the vicinity of online players.

This was in the path notes today. Possibly finally a solution for the problems on our beloved server of Xanadu ?