Sign in to follow this  
eldarian

Spawns

Who do Wurm wanna please?

1. The free to play people that have no armor, no weapon

2. The premium players that have bought gametime, weapon and armor

You shouldn't assume all premium players like fighting. Not that you are doing this but some people seem to think its okay to impose the hunting mind set on all players. I been playing Wurm for a long time and would have no problem at all with there being no aggro at all, just peaceful creatures wandering around.

It is possible to come up with solutions that can give multiple people a fun experience. We just need Wurm to actually try at achieving this.

Another good idea is deed influence zones that affect mob spawning. Basically deeds radiate out influence that affects what type of creatures can spawn within various distances of them. Each mayor can set zone influence radiation to control how difficult the mobs are near.

I'm also down in the south east and its pretty much a dead zone. The first week there were a couple of critters about, but since then? I see maybe one hostile a week around my area, much less deed if I'm lucky. Its quite the disappointment as I was hoping a new server with vast tracks of untamed land would mean more survival struggle of things trying to eat me not less.

Just go to wilderness lazy people, not only near coast. In wilderness is all what is your dream, even more :)

Just go to wilderness lazy people, not only near coast. In wilderness is all what is your dream, even more :)

Please read the comments in the thread before making your own. Also try travelling to other areas and see what's going on there before making comments. Thanks. You lazy person. :)

I think if Mobs couldn't spawn on or climb over a certain steepness that would help, I see mobs all over the mountains around me walking around on 80 degree cliffs

• Like 1

Who only kills monsters along the coast? Everyone knows there is only deeds at the coast. I only go inland for fighting... Thats the only place you can. But not here... Walk inland for 1000's of tiles and see nothing.. 

I'm sure that there is lots of mobs in the North or where you are at. But in the SE there is none...

Edited by Wingz

Such a big and crowded server.. a lot of mobs would likely destabilize it.

My plot is at Black Brigade Port and since playing for about 2 weeks now i have done many trips into deep forests to find wood etc and have only run into 1 giant spider and seen 1 wolf attack another player.

I have searched for a few hours to find cart animals, with no success.

I do like the Barn idea mentioned earlier, seems like a good way to bring local communities together.

Cheers

Oak

The problem seems to be mostly in the se, if ppl aren't seeing a problem they are most likely in the north. nothing we can really do but hope the team reads this and tests it out for themselves

i hope more of you post your issues with the spawn so that they can get around to it soon

Edited by Alderen

I sort of suspect that some players just want more of what is already available, which makes them think there is not enough.

=Ayes=

I don't think I am expecting too much. I have let my Xanadu-character kill all creatures I have seen, since the server opened, even though I have high FS characters around. Just so she is able to handle herself, when the "big" ones are on Release, and here it is in numbers:

[00:50:08] You have played 35 days, 2 hours and 1 minutes.

Fighting skill: 3.27

And I haven't even run into a creature she couldn't kill yet (Although that venerable bear was a bit nasty - but at least that made me realise she had played a month without any armour on)... That is 35 days spent online in the SE (Esteron). We really aren't exaggerating when we say there are next to no creatures around.

Such a big and crowded server.. a lot of mobs would likely destabilize it.

the server is huge, but it is far from crowded....and there just aint enough mobs spread across the whole server..its not about more mobs its about fixing the spawns currently..they spawn in one or 2 locations and on top of huge mountains...it makes the game hard to complete some things, and takes away from some of the joy.

[00:50:08] You have played 35 days, 2 hours and 1 minutes.

Fighting skill: 3.27

Equally with a new character on Xanadu:

[11:23:42] You have played 29 days, 10 hours and 43 minutes.

Fighting skill: 42.29

Mob distribution is very regional.

Equally with a new character on Xanadu:

[11:23:42] You have played 29 days, 10 hours and 43 minutes.

Fighting skill: 42.29

Mob distribution is very regional.

Yes it is. I could see from server graphs, that there should be enough (not plenty, but enough) creatures on the server - but with next to none in the SE, there must be closer to "plenty" in other areas of the server :)

• Like 2

Some things must have changed since i went to school, when I was there 32km x 32km area gets you 1,024 sq. km, not ~270,000.

I do see what you are trying to do with those numbers Hackett, but its more complex than what you realize, for instance you need to subtract all the water tiles from your calculations as there's no water animals (read sharks) spawning on Xan.

The figures look as I would expect, fewer mobs per tile on Xanadu because it is the largest server. Plenty of mobs overall though.

Re. the lack of creatures in the South, I am beginning to expect that is a lasting feature that the devs have ninjaed in. And I like it, basic regionality at last :) something I have dreamed about since I started the game

So, to those of you in the South that are crying about their FS.  Why would you even want your FS to go up? There are no mobs threatening you in your region, it is simply a peaceful area, and that skill is irrelevant to you.

Leave the South if  you want fights is my advise.

/exits before ****storm. 

Edited by Cista

To many people south and west, so the critters are hanging out up north with the recluses ;)

I am not a recluse but its not uncommon for me to kill on the average of 25 to 30 aggro creatures traveling from my main deed to my more inland deed.  :)  Of course, i am in the north.    Duh gotta go, just found a hell horse. :)

I'm undecided whether the regionality of mobs is a good thing and whether it's intended or an unintended consequence of something else.

I well remember some people having asked for a server with fewer hostile mobs, thus it might have been an attempt from the devs to create regions with varying mob density on Xanadu. On the other hand I assume the devs would have stated that at release. They would, wouldn't they? :)

It cuts both sides. I see people coming to the north for the mobs now. But we've also seen people leaving the north because they got slaughtered too frequently, especially in the beginning with no guard towers around - and few people want to employ (and pay) 4 templars on their otherwise minimum size deed.

Yea I was only half serious about them adding it as a feature, and not telling us about it.  Meanwhile, it was to be expected, since Independence also for years has had most mobs in the North - Xanadu simply has the same pattern amplified I think. 

I also just want to say how thrilling it is that we have a game that is so unpredictable that we can even discuss these things the way we do. Please realise that Wurm is the only MMO in the world where you cannot predict exactly where mobs will be tomorrow (Xsyon possibly also).  I have spent time in the ArcheAge beta but Wurm has killed my enjoyment of static games.

I don't think mob distribution is regional.

What is happening can be explained by randomness. If you have lots of people, especially daily hunters, in south Xan constantly killing things it is a somewhat small chance that the creature or liar will respawn in the same area again. If we do a simple quarters division of the map, every lair or non-liar mob destroyed in the SE only has a 25% chance of spawning again in the SE.

Now if a lot less hunting is happening in the other regions than those liars / creatures will stay in those regions for longer. 

This is why I think a reverse spawning mechanic used in combination with player kill statistics would be great. In areas where players tend to kill lots, lots more spawn. Such a system could dynamical change as player trends change. Such a system plays to the idea of RESPECTING customers and trying to fulfill their desires. Make sure NPC don't count because their kills are more aligned with peaceful players.

IMO, Regional is a huge mistake and very damaging to customers has a whole. It may make a minority happy but it will make the majority unhappy.

problem on xanadu is that all spawns seems they are placed on top of mautains... 

problem on xanadu is that all spawns seems they are placed on top of mautains... 

Even if mobs were not spawning on mountain this thread would still be here. I agree it is part of the problem, but it is by no means the ONLY problem.

I'm guessing the mountain thing is the same randomness issue. Players can't get up there to kill them so every new spawn on a mountain side is one less mob for a player to kill.

Some things must have changed since i went to school, when I was there 32km x 32km area gets you 1,024 sq. km, not ~270,000.

I do see what you are trying to do with those numbers Hackett, but its more complex than what you realize, for instance you need to subtract all the water tiles from your calculations as there's no water animals (read sharks) spawning on Xan.

Thanks for the catch, yeah i realize water is an issue but its an issue for all servers as well, not necessarily equal but not crazy different either. I will do the math but i don't expect them very different.

The problem seems to be mostly in the se, if ppl aren't seeing a problem they are most likely in the north. nothing we can really do but hope the team reads this and tests it out for themselves

i hope more of you post your issues with the spawn so that they can get around to it soon

It's not really a solution but a nice workaround for the SE. I live there just a few minutes from the Release crossing. I don't even bother trying to hunt on Xanadu. When I need meat or just want to hunt things, I sail to Release and right there at the crossing (I think the area is MDE south to Secret Hideout) is land and the land is teeming with (mostly lava spider flavor for me) wildlife. The less people living there seems to be the more the animals want to bunch up and live there. The whole south coast of Release seems to have no spawn issues and I rarely if ever see anyone in local until I am about halfway across. I don't advocate depleting places you can see people are playing but there seem to be a lot of vacant deeds just sitting there filling with mobs in their perims.