Sign in to follow this  
Youngsoldier

blackpowder guns and cannon

Afaik the walking on ships thing is in the works atm from some Dev comment (not sure now where that was).

Its on the burner anyways... when its ready to be served... we shall see.

• Like 1

They would be either too powerful and render current mechanics useless, or be so cumbersome/difficult/expensive to make they would never be used.

Thats a design issue.

what made firearms worthwhile in the end was really just numbers and discipline on the side of those using guns

archers were still performing better in battles up to the 19th century, its just that the cost of hiring a lot of archers was more than a lot of gunners

I could accept a handcannon but it must inaccurate as hell on long distances. Preferably used on short distances such as 1-2 tiles.

I think we should have more siege weaponry before cannons. Wheres the Batista and trebuchets?

I think we should have more siege weaponry before cannons. Wheres the Batista and trebuchets?

Trebouchets are an improvement of catapults or onagers, they are not a necesary evolutionary step for cannons to exist.

Batista was the dictator overthrown by the cuban revolution, lead by Fidel Castro with Ernesto "Che" Guevara as one of his generals.

The one thing I always thought was missing though, are battering rams.  We carry logs and felled trees around all day, and we cant use them to bash thing?  We even usually have ropes on us at all times, how hard could it be to slap some ropes on a log and make a battering ram ?

• Like 1

Not to mention siege towers and movable large shields or cover.

Bump I still want flintlock.

Archaeology of ancient artifacts before Wurmian colonization. Work with restoration of the artifacts, to find out that there is in fact ancient firearms and cannons. 

Add Black Powder veins, and sulfur near lava. 

I don't care if this is a dumb idea, for the record.

Edited by FranktheTank

If we get cannon, I want coquina for walls. From Wikipedia:

The Castillo is a masonry star fort made of a stone called coquina (Spanish for "small shells"), which consists of ancient shells that have bonded together to form a sedimentary rock similar to limestone.

"The small English cannon had little effect on the walls of the fort, because the coquina was very effective at absorbing the impact of the shells."

As in the 1702 siege, three hundred soldiers and 1,300 residents found refuge within the Castillo's walls. For 27 days the British bombarded the Castillo and St. Augustine. Realizing his cannon were not affecting the Castillo's walls....

Also:

The stone makes a very good material for forts, particularly those built during the period of heavy cannon use. Because of coquina's softness, cannonballs would sink into, rather than shatter or puncture, the walls of the Castillo de San Marcos.

I've visited the fort, and the energy-absorbing nature of its walls are quite impressive. You can see the places where cannons hit it, and simply scooped out a tiny bit of the coquina.

With coquina walls, we could laugh at cannons. :P

Note that it would be a time-consuming material to prepare to build with:

When first quarried, coquina is extremely soft. This softness makes it very easy to remove from the quarry and cut into shape. However, the stone is also at first much too soft to be used for building. In order to be used as a building material, the stone is left out to dry for approximately one to three years, which causes the stone to harden into a usable, but still comparatively soft, form.