Sign in to follow this  
Youngsoldier

blackpowder guns and cannon

+1 for moving on boats but we Wurmians have not even invented the battering ram although we have quite a handle on lead balls.

• Like 1

surpressed throwing axes with 8x zoom scope.

no

but +1 for free movement around boat decks while ship just keeps sailing  [should stop if you happen to fall down haha]

Edited by silakka
  • Like 1

surpressed throwing axes with 8x zoom scope.

no

but +1 for free movement around boat decks while ship just keeps sailing  [should stop if you happen to fall down haha]

+1 ^

i would say -1 to the guns and cannons, and it would be very hard to let us walk around a moving ship

Certain techs such as gunpowder, steam, and etc just are not going to happen, even if the technologies did exist at various points of human history. Too powerful.

They were major gamechangers in their times, and upset the current state or balance of technology. Wurm is a pseudo-Medieval level of tech: swords and etc. Course theres fantasy elements: dragons, diety-powered priest enchants, and even some sorcery.

Cannons even in a primitive state would be too powerful, even with the state of metallurgy and smithing. Cannon developed before cast iron were made akin to wooden-barrels placed in sections.

Personally, shipborne weapons should be ballista and catapults (yeah yeah I know the categories are technically the same). Although the Romans were known to have developed and fielded hundreds of chain-cranked, gravity-fed rapid fire ballista.  :P

...right.. and add eyepatches and shoulder parrots, mops to use on boat, option to replace body parts with wooden stumps or hooks, and then a voice change option to say Arrrr right before everything. And the option to make & drink rum & get inebriated..(last one is fine...)

Making & firing arrows is too much of a chore on this game and you wanna put in a more complicated mechanism like a blackpowder gun? -100

can throw magic fireballs but no cannons :rolleyes:

+1 for blackpower

• Like 1

We don't even have the ingredients to make blackpowder in Wurm. To ask for blackpowder, you also have to ask for sulfur and saltpeter (that's sulphur and saltpetre for you commonwealth types).

Historically, these items were known from ancient times, so it would be reasonable for us to have them too. They were also useful for more than blackpowder, though perhaps not so much for a game like Wurm.

Still, sulfur and saltpeter could also be used to make vitriol (i.e. sulfuric acid) by burning them together along with steaming water. Once you have vitriol, you can make aqua fortis (i.e. nitric acid) by mixing saltpeter into vitriol and distilling it. You can also make muriatic acid (i.e. hydrocloric acid) by mixing normal salt into vitriol. After you have aqua fortis and muriatic acid, you can mix them together to make... drumroll... Aqua Regia! And if you don't know what that it, it is an acid that can dissolve gold and can be used to make 99.999% pure gold.

And the option to make & drink rum

please add

Saltpeter has easy production methods as I understand it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate

Nah, you don't need to make it, saltpeter can be found naturally. Crystal formations grow in caves, which... coincidentally... we happen to have in great abundance in Wurm.

Edit:

Oh, the Wikipedia article mentions that... ha... should have read it first. I should have known, Wikipedia, you clever collective consciousness that will some day rise above us and build spaceships to assimilate the universe.

Edited by Nmenth

They would be either too powerful and render current mechanics useless, or be so cumbersome/difficult/expensive to make they would never be used.

• Like 1

-1 to gunpowder

+1 to physical boats (and ramming other boats)

• Like 1

i dont get why people say gunpowder would be OP

gunpowder weapons were expensive, weak, unreliable, and bulky from their inception until the end of the middle ages several centuries later

artillery only got good enough for use in sieges in the 15th century, while firearms only came into their own a century after

I don't know how we could have cannon when we don't even have crossbows yet.

Since I didn't really make my position on this clear with my previous posts that were written in jest, I am opposed to blackpowder in Wurm. Wurm isn't that kind of a game, at least not at this stage.

gunpowder weapons were expensive, weak, unreliable, and bulky from their inception

I will agree with most of these, except I would replace "weak" with "inaccurate". Were they weak, gunpowder weaponry may very well have never developed. They were always powerful, that is why people kept using them despite being expensive, unreliable, bulky, and inaccurate.

If introduced properly, they probably would not be overpowered, but there are some issues with this. I'm not sure I believe they would be introduced into Wurm properly. If they were, you would rarely see them due to the above-mentioned faults. And, seriously, crossbows before cannon.