Sign in to follow this  
Lovefall

Allow us to ignore CMs/GMs when not on their duty

Whenever we are bothered by a player, we are told that the best solution to stop seeing their messages is to use the /ignore function.

But at this moment is not allowed to ignore CMs/GMs, and somehow that really makes sense since they should obviously be able to do their jobs, which may involve contacting you regarding your tickets or tickets made against you.

Well, my problem is that while I totally understand this, I would still like to be able to be able to not get message / see public messages from some said persons, which are sent as players, not as officials.

Step one: Allow us to ignore any player, regardless of their staff position.

Step two: Give them a tool to override this, when sending an official message; those message should be logged, so in case they do abuse it the said tool, we could report it for harassment.

There are many ways under which this tool could work, but the one I would prefer would be something like the linux su command; as in when they would handle stuff as officials, they would be switched to a different user id, having same name, but the staff id in front of them.

Like when playing normally Enki would be Enki, but when acting as GM he could change his name in GMEnki with a simple command, without requiring a relog or anything. I, as player, could ignore Enki, but not GMEnki, so I could prevent seeing messages from him as player, but could not prevent him contacting me when doing his duty.

It would also avoid potential confusion if someone is talking with you as a player or as an official. I had a few situations where I was not sure what's the case.

Also in PVP situations, it would prevent a CM/GM check if I am online of not, using a random tell.

If you agree/don't disagree - please also stand your reasons. I know that my "fans" will just -1 without any reason, but for the rest of the people, I would love to see a honest, argummented feedback. Personally I fail to see any drawback of this, other than a bit of work from devs to cod it and of officials to remember to switch back and forth.

Edited by Lovefall
  • Like 3

Sure +1    Ive seen my fair share of confrontations with CAs and so on, and it would be helpful if both parties could actually ignore each other.

As for how to give them a way to over ride it, well in CA help they have  a command which makes their text go a different colour so we know its a official CA, how about using those commands or just giving them a new one which we can't ignore. For example we would not be able to ignore that orange text thing some mods do in Kchat.

Edited by Blob

The system already has even CAs login and logout, so shouldnt be an issue in keeping track of when a player is acting as a player or acting as a whatever.

On the otherhand when offduty a player may observe unappropriate behavior; though, signing back in is a single command.

Edited by Klaa

"no" - Jberg 2014

Edited by Capi
  • Like 2

you can already ignore CAs, not CM or above. and is it worth the extra job for the devs ?

I have say /gchat and /kchat in my autorun so does not affect me i never have global or server chats on at all but i also don't think it is needed either so -1 

Edited by Kegan

-1 Bad Idea

As staff you should always exhibit good behavior and never do anything that warrants being ignored.

Edited by necroe

*bunch of random garbage talk on global chat*:   "eh hehe ok np, people like to joke around  ^_^ "

*CM makes a pun*   "WOW WHY CAN'T I IGNORE HIM"

Edited by Fireflyb
  • Like 1

sorry no, I rather the devs make content and fix stuff so a big  -1

Easy way to ignore someone...just don't read what they say.

• Like 3

Easy way to ignore someone...just don't read what they say.

+1

-1 to OP

I doubt the specifics of the situation warrant it, but I do think there is some merit here on a purely idealist base. Outside of them doing their duties, they are just players and are just as prone to be obnoxious as anyone else within the rules of the game. Colored text would have to be visible, and PMs would still have to go through; but normal white text blocked doesn't seem like it would ruin anything.

The only thing really lost would be those gentle nudges given by some CMs in white text. As fond of them as the staff is, it's actually a pretty weak moderation technique. About half of the 'soft moderation' attempts I see end up being totally ineffective because:

1. The player has no idea who the CMs are.
  2. Some of the CMs act more bemused than assertive when roused.
  3. There are several players that act like CMs without ever actually claiming to be one.
  4. Chat becomes further disrupted by other players warning the problem player that somewhere in the block of white text there was a warning.
  5. Habitual offenders announce if it isn't orange, it isn't official.

What ends up happening is one or more players violate the rules and chat gets totally disrupted because there is dominance/submission contest. It gets resolved, but only after several minutes of chat being solely about the moderation, with orange text and maybe a mute.

Make it simple : flash your badge up front to establish authority.

And by extension, if moderation is done in colored text, there is no need to be able to see the white (casual chat) from staff you don't like.

CMs often have to steer people away from topics before it gets to a bad area, which I'm sure you're aware of, so where shall they then draw the line between official and non-official? Often if they put on their Serious Face before something has happened people feel really insulted and start arguing for the sake of arguing, which is why friendly ways of steering clear from the topics are used (at least by the good ones). If you feel that you should be entitled to ignore them until it gets official then you'd either miss all the hints to stay away from unsuitable topics or you'd be insulted because they put on the serious face before something has happened.

The best moderation is when the tools for moderation are not needed.

There is no "off duty" time for GMs and CMs - alone for that this suggestion is void.

If there is a staff member breaking game or chat rules you can allways send a note to the supervisors (Lead Chat Moderator or Head Game Master).

Don't forget to include logs - just saying "CM/GM <name> is bad - fire him" won't lead anywhere except the waste bin.

Thread is done.

• Like 4