Sign in to follow this  
adonies

Ground Disturbance on Burying and Other Forms of Corpse-Dispensing

Currently "burying" simply makes a (butchered?) corpse disappear.

However, the terrain/surface where it's buried should be affected.

If it's farmed/grass tile, it should become 'packed'.

If it's rock or road, it should not be allowed (destroy the pavement first).

And there should be some small exp gained, probably 'digging' and/or 'paving'.

Maybe even create a tile-surface that is a burial mound, with time it could revert to 'dirt'.

'Burning' dead bodies is another form of corpse dispensing.

It could be a subskill of 'firemaking', with a new 'furnace' creation: 'funeral pyre'.

'Mummification' and burial in mounds/pyramids is another idea, but this needs new models, both for items and buildings, and maybe a new skill.

-1 to it happening with all buried corpses.

+1 to having the ability to make burial mounds and other builds though.

No to changing the terrain just for burying a corpse.   When someone litters your deed with hundreds of bodies, you'll understand why. :P

Also, you do get Digging skill for burying - even when the burying fails (such as on rock).

I do like the idea of being able to burn corpses in a pyre of some sort.

You do have the option of burying with a gravestone, and then the gravestone remains in the ground.

Edited by conmcb25

I dont think it should change the terrain but maybe a graphic of a mound that does not effect the tile at all would be a nice idea. Sort of like the snow graphics

Pyres sound cool, but the extra clutter from burial sounds more like a nuisance than an immersion improvement.

What Othob said. Pyre is cool because it's an additional way to get rid of corpses. The rest? Nope. Deters you from even burying your kill.

We have enough lazy people in the game who don't bury. Let's not create more of that.

(A message to those that don't bury - A corpse is a container. By leaving it out in the woods, you've left the butchered items in a container, which will slow the decay rate of the butchered items down. You are only adding to the lag we experience when the game backs up because your lack of burying keeps these items (that you consider trash) in the world that much longer.)

Currently "burying" simply makes a (butchered?) corpse disappear.

However, the terrain/surface where it's buried should be affected.

And there should be some small exp gained, probably 'digging' and/or 'paving'.

Maybe even create a tile-surface that is a burial mound, with time it could revert to 'dirt'.

It could be a subskill of 'firemaking', with a new 'furnace' creation: 'funeral pyre'.

'Mummification' and burial in mounds/pyramids is another idea, but this needs new models, both for items and buildings, and maybe a new skill.

Actually you get digging skill wen you bury a corpse.

You must have never buried a hole before if you think the results could in any way be classified as "packed".

I concur. As much of a nuisance as it would be, it is stupid that you can bury a corpse on a stone slab road.

I'd be fine with pyres, but you need a purpose for it. You can bury a corpse in seconds, building a pyre would take several minutes at least. Even if you could add multiple corpses to the same pyre, it still wouldn't be faster or easier than burying them.

I can't get behind this suggestion at all, there are so many things wrong with it. Other than decoration, I can't think of any reason for mummification, and even then, mummies wouldn't be stored out in the open, they'd be placed in a sarcophagus. We could make sarcophagi, but they'd really just be more ornate versions of a coffin - which has nothing to do with corpses. Pyramids would take up too much space and can already be made with some clever landscaping. And new skill for mummy making is quite possibly the most useless new skill idea I've heard suggested.

The whole point is to 'disturb' the ground surface; instead of 'packed' it could become 'cultivated', or a 'mound', and (optionally) a gravestone.

Burying a corpse in seconds, as it is now, is a developer deviation from reality, it should be taking more time. The problem of laziness, that people leave corpses unburied, is a classic example of lack of incentives, or counter-incentives.

I like the idea of multiple corpses per pyre. A 'pyre' need not be anything more complicated than a campfire, to provide for cremation. Just light it up, power with wood, and the corpse will convert to 'ash' when it reaches 'glowing hot' temperature. This cremation could provide bonuses when performed (or be mandatory) by priests and followers of a certain god, e.g. Magranon.

In any case, I also agree with the idea that I found on another thread, that corps-dispensing should provide more benefits if they are un-butchered.

Taxidermy/Mummification is arguably more, or equally, useful to 'toys' and a number of other skills we have in wurm already. It could have the dual purpose of corpse-dispensing in a monument type action, and also hunting trophies for hunters (instead of leaving the corpses around on deed to prevent decay). It could also provide knowledge to create consumables that are less affected by decay. As for the constructions, I know quite a lot of people that are tired of so many colossuses, and would be happy to build something different. The same goes for sarcofagi, in contrast to coffins.

Taxidermy/Mummification is arguably more, or equally, useful to 'toys' and a number of other skills we have in wurm already.

If Toys was not already a skill and someone suggested it, I would not support it.

I do not like useless skills. I do not even like single-use skills. If I had my way, every skill in Wurm would have at least two uses (and making useless decorations or allowing you to perform useless acts are not "uses"). So I do not support a few of the skills we currently have, and I definitely don't support adding more useless skills.

All for pyres and alternatives to removing corpses, especially corpses enmasse. The current burial method only works when the dirt layer is deep enough, and there's quite a few places where that is not the case.

Also for any means of slowing corpse decay for BL use, be it some form of mummification, taxidermy, or whatever.