Sign in to follow this  
hoof2000

So what happened to this...

This was posted by Rolf last year december:

Quote:

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

As most of you know you can fall down into a fence or wall section and become trapped. We have the fix to this already, closing the hole at the top of the fence but it isn't ingame yet. However, it also means that you will be able to move over fences and stone walls if you can get high enough. (So where is this fix)

The good thing about this is that we could give you the possibility to fly in various ways. It is possible that it should be a fairly rare thing in Wurm but attainable to anyone who happens to find such a creature or ability and probably body control based. Such creatures should not be breedable. (what happened to that?)

The downside with flying is that it makes it a lot easier to get into areas and cause trouble especially on PvP servers.  That part could be fixed by adding arrows to settlement guards that easily shoot down hostile flying creatures or force them to land outside deed, so it's solvable. Even on freedom servers settlement guards could attack flyers that are not citizens or allies. It will become possible to jump over fences from the current dirt walls and rock sides though, especially if we add some jumping which we might want to.

Thirdly, there is a lot of discussion when it comes to the "legal enclosures" rule on the freedom servers.(there are no more legal enclosures on Freedom, yet nothing happened)  Adding flying would make it impossible to uphold that rule since you wouldn't even have to break a fence in order to land in someones enclosure. The rule already seems to create a lot of situations that end up in a grey zone of who is right or wrong which is undesirable so many on the team want it to go away anyways.

We would try to hold this implementation off for as long as possible since obviously you would need preparations but once a decision is made it would probably happen after a month or two. (after 9 months still no decision, no implementation and no info at all what is going on)

Thoughts? This would have quite an impact on the game but flying and jumping is sort of interesting features. And we need to fix the getting stuck in fences/walls bug eventually.

Unquote

Could we get any information? ... of course not.. stupid  idea...

You must be new around here. We were promised bridges 6 years ago, for example. Time means nothing in Devworld, things happen when they get around to it.

• Like 4

Im still waiting on stairs that Zcul promised us... 

Or door permissions on interior doors.

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 4

Still waiting on valrei to work correctly ;)

Ah well.. at least wurm is much much better then when i joined in januari 2013 , so my hope is still alive!

It's a fun game, regardless of these fixes. Yeah, I'd love to see these things too, but as AetherWalker said, it's ultimately the dev's game. They'll get to it when they get to it, and we'll still play what they have implemented happily waiting for the next implementation day.

• Like 2

Im not even waiting for these things anymore, im just playing the game.

• Like 3

Thirdly, there is a lot of discussion when it comes to the "legal enclosures" rule on the freedom servers.(there are no more legal enclosures on Freedom, yet nothing happened) Keep reading...  Adding flying would make it impossible to uphold that rule since you wouldn't even have to break a fence in order to land in someones enclosure. Keep reading... The rule already seems to create a lot of situations that end up in a grey zone of who is right or wrong which is undesirable so many on the team want it to go away anyways.There it is!
  • Like 2

If you look at some of the new stuff thats being worked on ...such as the new Dragons and in one of the vids a person is riding it while it's flying....it seems to me that all this above is still being worked on....there all linked in a way.

So they maybe holding off while other stuff is worked on - "We want to fix the fall down into a fence or wall bug - but to fix this would add jumping over walls and stuff....this would also be in the same pool as Flying....Hmm lets hold off untill we have some mounts the players can ride and fly"

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/105025-sneak-peak-red-dragon-model/page-1

See above with the person riding a flying dragon....in my book there all sort of linked so when finished they can roll it out as a big update and Lord Baron can rant and rave about it in his great and enthusiastic way ;)

Sad to say it's just another wait and see thing that we are all use to....  the Wurm Monster (aka the player) is ALWAYS HUNGRY for more and more new stuff LOL

Edited by Garit

Shhh, don't bring these things to attention. Well enough is best left alone.

=Ayes=

Maybe the fix for being stuck in a wall or fence could be similar to "last gasp" - i.e. a one off thing to get you out of trouble?

Being able to jump fences and stuff would be cool. I don't see it being such a big problem as long as we have deed rights to keep people from stealing stuff. If horses can't be dragged over a fence and you can't jump it if encumbered etc. it would work out quite fine. 

PvP, sure, bit more problematic, but if you want to really protect something, build tall walls or houses. Also, jumping/climbing should not be possible if on a slope more than 23, being attacked or being out of stamina, should also consume some stamina to make the effort. More realistic and more fun. 

The removal of the enclosure rule was the result of the (very long) discussions. So yes, something happened.

As for the flying and jumping, I'm in no rush to see that, as personally I think it would cause havok. As far as the fix goes mentioned at the start, I have no idea, but I would imagine being able to drop over fences etc. was deemed more undesirable than the current problems not fixing it causes at the current time.

I will just say that when we get flying and jumping that unless there is some means to secure your deed as fences will mean nothing, that will be my departure from Wurm. Legal enclosures could not be enforced. I know for a fact that the gray area here will be so large there is no room for black and white. I deeded it. I fenced/walled it in. That's the only way you don't "lose it." Put this nonsense in, well, there you go.

Being able to jump fences and stuff would be cool. I don't see it being such a big problem as long as we have deed rights to keep people from stealing stuff. If horses can't be dragged over a fence and you can't jump it if encumbered etc. it would work out quite fine. 

PvP, sure, bit more problematic, but if you want to really protect something, build tall walls or houses. Also, jumping/climbing should not be possible if on a slope more than 23, being attacked or being out of stamina, should also consume some stamina to make the effort. More realistic and more fun. 

The whole idea behind walls and fences is to keep people out as much as it is to keep horses in. If I put up a wall with a gate and the gate is locked, I don't want people in there. If they can fly in there, then walls may as well just be removed from the game.

=Ayes=

Yes, the people against it might protest. It's much better to let things be brought back to life outside of the eyes and ears of everyone.

Edited by Audrel

You must be new around here. We were promised bridges 6 years ago, for example. Time means nothing in Devworld, things happen when they get around to it.

Yet they keep addding unanounced features and new servers which are pretty much obsolete lol :P

I Would love flying and jumping!

Jumping most definately. Not necessarily over fences, but just in general (or maybe over the lowest of fences, with a big stamina cost)

Edited by Dextrome

Plenty of games, most in fact, have jumping that doesn't allow you to go places you weren't intended to go. I don't see why we need some super jump ability here that would make walls useless for keeping people out of an area. 

Deed permissions are STILL broken despite repeated requests to have them fixed so I don't want to have to depend on them for security. 

As for flying think of all those 2nd floor and higher balcony doors with no locks or just arched walls. A whole lot of buildings would be wide open to people then. We won't even get into aerial bombardment to grief people on their own deed. Unless the air space above deeds is restricted I could never support flying. 

Please don't remind the devs of this horrible idea, if we are so lucky that they forgot it :(

• Like 4

Want to keep "jumpers" out? (Assuming anyone can climb/jump regardless of the fence being on deed)

Medium/Tall stone walls.

OR

Personally, I think adding jumping into Wurm is a terrible idea. Maybe some sort of right-click "Climb over" feature for the lowest of walls, that has a 30s timer and a high Body Control requirement. (For say wooden fences and lower) This would be FAR easier to implement and wouldn't result in so many bugs.

Then just add a "Can climb over" setting on deed forms. Boom. Sorted.

As for flying...it is barely an issue. As the devs mentioned, the flying animals will not be breedable and very likely only a few per server (if even on non-pvp servers at all). Someone with the ability to fly one of these things wont be using it to steal your 30ql pickaxe anyway. (Plus, even if they were added to PvE servers, you cannot take items from inside a building anyway)

Edited by Outlaw

Yes, the people against it might protest. It's much better to let things be brought back to life outside of the eyes and ears of everyone.

Let sleeping dogs lie, as well.

=Ayes=

=Ayes=

Please don't remind the devs of this horrible idea, if we are so lucky that they forgot it :(

I agree. Exactly my point transmuted into different words with the same implication minus the frown, since this somehow brings a grin to my expression.

=Ayes=

So, they developed a feature that could potentially harm a certain protected class.

The solution: Banish all protections for that class, and still dont implement the fixes for falling inside walls.

That will teach people not to ask for stuff.