Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Indy game Unreal World (Finnish Iron Age survival game) now on Greenlight

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249428292

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDQ9SJHs7_4

Game can kind of be described as "Dwarf Fortress meets Wurm Online", it is a singleplayer 2D game.where you try to survive in a medieval Finnish landscape running the risks of starvation, frostbite, sickness, and being eaten by wolves. Build a log cabin (will take you most of your dirst summer if you are new at this), plant a garden, put in a cellar for smoked meats. The game loses some challenge once you start to get more familiar with it but its a game I always go back to after a while, and replay from scratch again multiple times. 

Oddly, despite the low graphics,  there are few other games where I have enjoyed as much just tracking a stag with bow and arrow. . 

I know there are some other big Unreal World fans out there besides myself so figure others here might add their two cents on what they like about this game.

http://www.unrealworld.fi/urw_screenshots.html

urwss-trap.png

urwss-paddling.png

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

'Tuuli Kaumolainen' xDD

In my opinion these games are far better than the 100million $ fancy graphic ones which people play for 25hours and get bored [as you mentioned]

We need more of these games, looks so exciting, and i like how everything turns grey in areas where you cant see.

Wish them great success :)

P.S for anybody ever hunting for another game.. check the forums always ;)

Edited by silakka

Considering I have about 20+ Wurmians on my Steam Friendslist I can't say I agree with your opinion of Steam users. However I do think I'll give this game a try :)

I will agree 100% that it may be a totally unfair representation by me of Steam.

I tend to visualize Steam players as more likely to play League of Legends, less likely to play Dwarf Fortress.

This is more of a dwarf fortress-y type of game.

I will agree 100% that it may be a totally unfair representation by me of Steam.

I tend to visualize Steam players as more likely to play League of Legends, less likely to play Dwarf Fortress.

This is more of a dwarf fortress-y type of game.

Steam users are very various, especially as nowadays PC gaming = Steam (with few small exceptions). PC gaming community have a lot of hardcore players and this game is targeted at them, so I think that Steam is a right place for games like this.

Just look at Faster Than Light - game targeted at hardcore gamers which became a big success.

• Like 1

*digs up old topic about 1 of my fav games*

just wish there where more games like it 

Ah I never did an update/followup but Unreal World DID get greenlit on Steam, Sami says it will take a little longer to get the code written but it will be included in Steam titles soon 

(still can be played without Steam as well, of course)

This is one of those games that always comes up whenever I go looking for good survival/crafting games, and everyone just seems to rave about how awesome it is. And yet it's one of those games I never got around to trying, just because whenever I'd see a screenshot, I'd always get so intimidated by the user interface, and overwhelmed by not knowing/understanding what it is that I'm looking at. Not to mention everyone keeps raving about how "hardcore" and tough this game is, so my overall impression of the game was just intimidating. (And yet for some reason, Dwarf Fortress I had no problem with trying out, lol.)

However, thanks to this thread, I have to say I finally took some time to check the game out some more. 

This, especially...

... The game loses some challenge once you start to get more familiar with it but its a game I always go back to after a while, and replay from scratch again multiple times. 

...got me to finally take a closer look, because a games with that kind of replayability are usually rare and wonderful gems. While I haven't had time to try and actually play it yet, I did start watching a Let's Play just to get a better idea of the game, and what meant to be a quick watch just to get an overview ended in me watching episode after episode, completely mesmerised by the game.

So I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I can't believe I nearly missed this diamond of a game. I feel quite foolish for not having given Unreal World a chance earlier, but better late than never, so again, thank you!

I went looking for a decent "LetsPlay" that might provide a good intro for people, and found that One F Jef   aka  Jef Major recently did a brand new  series on Unreal World

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6MOP4JK3s&list=PL5WMwekqnmUDoxX2LkSKCKc-tMF-pJ6vG

The full playlist is here, each video is pretty long, hour or so per episode. His voice reminds me of Robert Downey Jr somehow and easy to listen to over long periods.

Several years ago he did a 10 hour marathon play of the game and alot of us were sad when it vanished off the interwebs, but I would guess this is a pretty decent "intro to the game" for people who have never tried it.

Edit to add another nice long running URW Lets Play by StealthAmoeba

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWJ6VGGEgE8&list=PLI4EbFdYCC_mNBedcgEkpTALXH2ddxh2f

• Like 1

see i keep trying unreal world but i never get far in it before i give up prob like first winter before i just stop and dont bother for a few months then try again i gotta get something in there to keep me going for a few weeks long like a goal i set myself for it but nup D: