Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Crowdfunding - Yogventures canceled

Here is an interesting article about the Yogcast and the canceled Yogventures game that raised over $500,000 on kickstarter if anyone wants to read about it. I did not back the game but did think about it...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/07/17/cancelled-kickstarter-game-yogventures-raised-over-500000-in-crowdfunding/

Edit: Might be old news for some but i am just learning about it today in one of their YouTube videos

Edited by Kegan

Really? Was looking forward to see some actual gameplay of that one...

last piece i saw of this game i just thought.. WTF is that. A name... nothing more. no one would have even looked at it if it didnt have Yogscast in its name... a shame how money gets wasted.. oh well, good thing i did not back it...

that's the gamble u take with these kinda campaign's

and yea I can't speill

Sadly all to common that developers underestimate how long and how difficult things will be to implement. I expect the brains natural optimism is partly to blame.

I love thier minecraft YouTube stuff very funny to watch and i guess they will bounce back from it but i am guessing they will take a hit or two before it is over from upset fans. 

Anyone dropping 10k bucks in an unfinished game in hope of get some unfinished virtual s..... deserve to be scammed imho.

It's funny how people bash the wurm team all the time and those same people give their money to crowdfunding projects with tremendous risk and very low chances of being successful. 

It's one out of one thousand, the number of such projects that succeed. You don't start a project by demanding money as a prerequisite. You create a minimal viable product that CAN sustain itself and be profitable and then you seek funding to accelerate your growth. If this development model, where you first get the money and then start working, would work, all venture capitalists would invest in them. None does, because they know the sad reality.

Now back to wurming, dream big, but stay real. Ideas mean nothing, everyone has one.

Kind of makes me wonder whatever happened to Greed Monger or whatever it was called, lol

Greed Monger is still in development last time I checked, even though it failed to hit it's crowdfunding target.

It's about time a well known campaign fails and kicks everyone in the teeth. The current trend in the gaming market has to be reverted somehow...this could be a step towards it.

Developers are getting away with everything right now and still get paid. Western games are going the way of Eastern/Asian games. Highly successful for 1-2 months then scrapped once the money is in.

Oh if only it were possible to jump back 10-15 years to the MMO hay-day.

Side note: Let's hope everyone stops calling it "investing" and "helping" using crowd sourcing. You aren't helping some charity...you're purchasing something in 99% of case and you sure as hell wont be receiving dividends/profits from the games sales.

The hype train can only carry so much weight...and in the past 5 years it's been getting rather encumbered.

• Like 1

i guess thats the risk of beeing a developer in the "now" world, since it starts to get through to people that you can actually make money with it, everyone wants to do it, but only a few are actually capable of doing it...

afterall making a game, specially MMO and especially sandbox games are as much worth from the time investment as some big hollywood movies :) and alot of people are underestimating it, thinking that games are made by writing a few lines of script, maybe only using a "game creator" or an engine, not writing one line of pure code and make "awesome" graphics.... but even that went down, since everyone thinks they can do the next "minecraft" :P

Edited by Miretta

Actually, the main problem is winterkewl games is NOT an experienced developers at all. yogventures is theirs first game -.- ... Sure, dream high, but for first game they should start small first.

Yogcast, they are poo, what did you expect?

You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain.

Yogscast may bring about the downfall of this current youtube personality craze if they're not careful with the hundreds of ideas they've been churning out to improve revenues.

The one i don't get is PewDiePie not sure why anyone would want to watch him and he has almost 30 million subscribers.

The one i don't get is PewDiePie not sure why anyone would want to watch him and he has almost 30 million subscribers.

for them he is funny. I watched his attempt with goat simulator and surprisingly I am entertained.

what a bunch of scumbags, so quick to wash their hands from any responsabilty, their brand and image was in that project, they told the people to suport it.   They should really own to their own mess.   And I am being extremely optimistic here, saying that it was a mess, and not a straight scam from yougcast to their listeners.

• Like 2

Here is an interesting article about the Yogcast and the canceled Yogventures game that raised over $500,000 on kickstarter if anyone wants to read about it. I did not back the game but did think about it...

So what happened to the $500,000 that they raised? I have always seen Kickstarter as a scammers best friend. That somehow this has been in any way legitimized is beyond my comprehension. Even more so that anyone would contribute funds to any participant within this ideal scamming setup. There simply is no real accountability within the structure. Any company that fails can find various ways to justify this and end up with making a good deal of money in the process by burying it within development costs and salaries. I have little doubt that this is being accomplished on a regular basis.

Not my concern really, since I would never contribute any funds to any game development. Once they are out and of interest I might pay the regular subscription fee to try them out. Until then they are on their own to finance their ventures.

=Ayes=

The funny thing is that the name of the game TUG they are giving the backers instead they called it "the ultimate goat" in their video to me this was a play on an escape goat kind of reference. I did not back the project but i have done some others that to this point are horrible games and was a total a waste of money. I guess the only one that i have backed that will likely be any good is Pillars of Eternity. 

Edited by Kegan

I have little doubt that this is being accomplished on a regular basis.

=Ayes=

You're right about that Ayes. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of the games now, but there have been many cases of games either not being made or being left in a pre-alpha state and abandoned after raising enough for the kickstarter to succeed.

There are a lot of people/companies just in it for the short term quick cash grab. If they aren't worried about bad reputation, they just leave the game in a terrible state and take the money they have been paid upfront. Why would they bother to finish it if they already have all the money?

Now, that isn't to say there aren't legitimate people using kickstarter to raise funds...it's just that anyone with more than just an idea...but an actual plan and team with a demo etc can usually find ways to make their games without the use of kickstarter.

I get that there's an inevitable backlash against the BS being funded these days, but I don't think that'll stop people really.

I'll be doing a KS myself soon, so we can hire our artist full time for a couple of months. Yes we have other options (investors, publishers) but those options mean giving away potentially some creative control. If we can get the money we need without doing that, why wouldn't we?