Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Grand Steppe Preservation

Grand Steppe Preservation  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should we clean-up and expand the Grand Steppe?

• Absolutely.
    • Nah.
    • We should destroy it further.

As some of you may know, I built and own the Hunting Lodge on the Grand Steppe.  This lodge was designed specifically for hunters and adventurers to have a place of respite from hunting.  However in my time on the Grand Steppe I have noticed several other areas where people have terraformed large areas of land to build their villages or create forests.  This has been a problem for quite some time now.

I'm suggesting, as I'm sure others have before me, that we undertake a community project to clean up and preserve the Grand Steppe and maybe even expand it in the process.  Before trying to plan any project of this scope, I'd first like an estimate of how many people support this idea and how many are willing to help in the labor if this restoration does kick off.  By way of vote or comment, please show your support or disapproval of this possible project to preserve and expand the Grand Steppe, in the hopes of returning not only it's beauty, but it's hunting-game as well.

If this proposition receives enough support, further planning and scouting for the project will take place and updates to the timeline of events will be made.

Edited by Slickshot

Didn't you like dig a hole in it to try to make a boat canal or something?

And no it doesn't need expanding, it's fine the way it is. If people need more steppe they can plant their own steppe close to their deeds

you could always clean up the southern part and replant steppe there... last I remember it was pretty messy

you could always clean up the southern part and replant steppe there... last I remember it was pretty messy

Yes the Southwest area is a bit of a mess where someone planted a lot of trees and started to build a while back.  Also Grass is Greener is gone I do believe, so that could use some tearing down and reforming into steppe.

Didn't you like dig a hole in it to try to make a boat canal or something?

And no it doesn't need expanding, it's fine the way it is. If people need more steppe they can plant their own steppe close to their deeds

Unfortunately you do not own the steppe, and neither does anyone else for that matter, so it would be a community choice/effort to expand the steppe, not yours or mine.  Thank you for your input however.  As far as a hole goes; what is a 3x14 compared to a 35x25, 40x25, 30x20, and a 20x20?  To make that simple (these are rough estimates of some of the village and forest areas built on the steppe) that's about 42 sq tiles of space (used for public usage canal under the steppe mind you) compared to at least 2000 sq tiles of wasted hunting grounds due to people wanting to populate unpopulated areas the easy way, instead of looking for suitable space like everyone else.  As mentioned before; I appreciate your input and opinion, I just don't agree with it.

Edited by Slickshot

You asked for my opinion and I responded with my opinion. I didn't say that you still can't do it, because I know you will anyway just like you did with the canal - Because that also started as a project where you asked people if it would be a desirable thing to do. Most people didn't give you a reply and those who did pointed out that no, we don't need this.

I just find it funny that you whine about people who planted trees on the steppe while at the same time being guilty yourself of trying to make a canal on it. ;) I don't care either way, but let's see what the people living at the steppe edges say about your project.

You asked for my opinion and I responded with my opinion. I didn't say that you still can't do it, because I know you will anyway just like you did with the canal - Because that also started as a project where you asked people if it would be a desirable thing to do. Most people didn't give you a reply and those who did pointed out that no, we don't need this.

I just find it funny that you whine about people who planted trees on the steppe while at the same time being guilty yourself of trying to make a canal on it. ;) I don't care either way, but let's see what the people living at the steppe edges say about your project.

Two things:

1. You gave your opinion.  I read your opinion, thanked you for it, and gave you my opinion in return; that I disagree with you.  You respond in sort trying to guilt or insult me (or whatever you think you're doing) for giving you my opinion, when I did no such thing to you.  If you're going to take things so personal, please be mature about it and send me a pm.
  2. I've been searching for your evidence in regards to the steppe canal project, and I found none.  I haven't found any thread here on the forums where I explained my idea and people only ignored me or told me no.  If you can post the link to your claims I'd be grateful.  I do recall, however, asking a few people about it in the in-game chat.  In fact I'll send you a pm with the chat logs I found pertaining to my idea and maybe that will clear things up for you.
Edited by Slickshot

Most of the established servers (if not all) have seen a drop in population since the release of Xanadu.

This is probably the best time to take on a project of this scope, assuming you can find some help.

• Like 1

Most of the established servers (if not all) have seen a drop in population since the release of Xanadu.

This is probably the best time to take on a project of this scope, assuming you can find some help.

With that, and the recent disbandings in the Grand Steppe area is the reason why I made this suggestion.  The time seems good.

Well if there are abandoned deeds I see why not.

Myself I would like to see some kind of revamp to the area and clean it up.

• Like 1

Well if there are abandoned deeds I see why not.

Myself I would like to see some kind of revamp to the area and clean it up.

It just seems every time I go hunting on the Grand Steppe there are rarely any spawns with more and more villages and forests expanding.

With that, and the recent disbandings in the Grand Steppe area is the reason why I made this suggestion.  The time seems good.

What? the two deeds that have gone down on the steppes since xana?? Yeah... 

Want to clean up the steppes remove your mine and fill it in... maybe put it on your deed?

My two cents.

I am for cleaning up areas that are abandoned to allow for steppe to expand back into those areas, however I do not wish to prevent those who want a home near the steppe from feeling that they are not welcome. 

I would offer the suggestion of instead of a massive project on a set day(s), perhaps a more enduring solution is for hunters who frequent the steppe to bring along some mixed grass on every visit to replant a small amount as areas become abandoned (only abandoned areas). 

I don't think we need to remove all the trees as lumber is sometimes helpful even in the steppe, but thinning a bit and replanting steppe if done w/ consideration of neighbors should help regrow some spawning areas.  

Edited by SentientPeanutbutter
  • Like 1

What? the two deeds that have gone down on the steppes since xana?? Yeah... 

Want to clean up the steppes remove your mine and fill it in... maybe put it on your deed?

My two cents.

Doesn't sound like a solution to the problem that has existed for quite some time in the Grand Steppe.  Thanks for trying though and giving your ideas.

I am for cleaning up areas that are abandoned to allow for steppe to expand back into those areas, however I do not wish to prevent those who want a home near the steppe from feeling that they are not welcome. 

I would offer the suggestion of instead of a massive project on a set day(s), perhaps a more enduring solution is for hunters who frequent the steppe to bring along some mixed grass on every visit to replant a small amount as areas become abandoned (only abandoned areas). 

I don't think we need to remove all the trees as lumber is sometimes helpful even in the steppe, but thinning a bit and replanting steppe if done w/ consideration of neighbors should help regrow some spawning areas.  

Edited by Riddic

I do like the idea of cleaning up the old deeds and I'm not hardcore opposed to pushing it out alittle as long as theres no deeds near where you push, personally I find the grande steppes large enough to hunt on as is but more hunting ground is fine.

I do have  a problem with slickshot making a mess of the steppes with his piles of dirt near (or on his deed) and the mine he dug in the steppes a 150+ slope in the middle of the steppe(with no fence so newbies can atm fall into it since it can be hard to see if your not paying attention) that is about 2 mins away from his deed... Sure none of us own the public land and can do whatever but shouldn't you clean your own mess before starting on others?

• Like 1

+1 To cleaning it up, just making it easier to travel on would be nice. Doesnt have to be roads, just not crazy "unnatural" slopes.. 
As for expanding, its totally not needed. I think its fine as it is... I dont think theres much you can do about the spwans, it'll come and go as spwans decay and new ones arrive. who knows within the next month there could be half a dozen croc and troll spwaners popping up. Its just about waiting or going somewhere else for the time being.

To touch on the disbanded deed issue, Riddic already highlighted it nicely but if you still dont get it. I've made a quick translation.
I think instead of trying to pick out the splinter in other peoples eye you best be removing the plank that's sticking out of your face.

+1 To cleaning it up, just making it easier to travel on would be nice. Doesnt have to be roads, just not crazy "unnatural" slopes.. 

As for expanding, its totally not needed. I think its fine as it is... I dont think theres much you can do about the spwans, it'll come and go as spwans decay and new ones arrive. who knows within the next month there could be half a dozen croc and troll spwaners popping up. Its just about waiting or going somewhere else for the time being.

To touch on the disbanded deed issue, Riddic already highlighted it nicely but if you still dont get it. I've made a quick translation.

I think instead of trying to pick out the splinter in other peoples eye you best be removing the plank that's sticking out of your face.

Tone it down steve.

To make this point simple; I haven't tried to "pick the splinter" out of any eyes.  That is to say, I haven't back-mouthed (as you have stooped to doing sadly) others about their deeds that have decayed on the steppe.  I suggested we clean up the areas due to the abandoned deeds and perfect timing for such a project.  If you have a problem with myself, I'd suggest being a man about it and sending me a message and settling out a conversation.  If you cannot rise above immaturity to do such a thing, please keep your filthy crap comments ("Riddic already highlighted it nicely but if you still dont get it. I've made a quick translation.

I think instead of trying to pick out the splinter in other peoples eye you best be removing the plank that's sticking out of your face.") off of this thread.  Thank you.

To all others this is quite simple:  if you agree that cleaning up the steppe would be nice, please vote and say so.  If you disagree with such a project, please vote and say so.  No need to be nasty about it; if you're that bored go outside and do something else.

Edited by Slickshot

I would like to see the abandoned deeds go back to steppe, for sure. So that is my vote. I will work on it as I have time.

• Like 1

I would like to see the abandoned deeds go back to steppe, for sure. So that is my vote. I will work on it as I have time.