Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 32

LssNW32L.jpg

Hello Fellow Wurmians!

The Baron is back!

As many of you know, I have been on parental leave for some time now.

I can proudly announce that in true Wurm style I have been grinding my skills.

So diaper changing and pampering is up to 70 by now.

I am thankful for being able to have the time to spend with my family this first crucial and magical time of a new life.

But it is great to be back at the office and there is certainly an atmosphere of enthusiasm amongst the team for this season of Wurm development.

I have only been back this past week and already there is so much going on and ideas circulating.

Also, looking back at what has been going on since I left I can honestly tell you I will not be able to fit it all in one news post!

I do not know if you have heard this before but the Wurm dev team usually kicks of a season by going to Germany and attending the Game Developer Convention and Gamescom.

This always gets us extremely motivated and full of new inspiration for this crazy game we all love.

So next week we will be doing our best combining business and pleasure!

But onto the news, I have selected some highlights and surprises for this week.

Those of you waiting on updates about some previous topics can expect them a bit later on.

As you can already see I am ranting on as always but seriously, it is time once more to

Share some News!

New player animations in development.

These new animations are mostly focused on giving more visual cues on what you and others are doing.

To name some examples pushing and pulling objects, hammering and general crafting actions.

This is important to increase the immersion but also to make interactions with the world more interesting.

Fences in arched walls

ArchNFenceS.jpg

Click Image for a larger version.

You should soon be able to build fences within arched walls!

They should work on all levels of a building but only on the outside wall on the ground floor.

This will result in much more building combinations and variety for your creativity.

All fences will be available for this except the tallest ones that are not suitable aesthetically.

Before going live though, Tich who is the one developing this feature has requested some further feedback and testing.

So if you feel up for testing this new feature just follow this link where you will find more information and can leave feedback.

Just follow this Link

Keybindings Interface

HotKeys.jpg

This is something that has been requested time and again.

So our developers took you up on it and finally we are close to this going live!

It is already performing well on the test server where this screenshot was taken.

There is as always still things on the wish list concerning further functionality, but I think we can all agree that it is a great addition!

What is Tortoise Crafting?

Remember this guy?

Tortoise.png

Why not turn him into something useful!

By butchering this creature you have the chance of finding a tortoise shell.

Combine it with some leather straps and small nails, voila!

You have yourself a fancy:

Tortoise Shield!

tortoiseShield.png

It will use the same skill as a small wooden shield and will be available to craft as soon as we start spawning the Tortoises.

Whales

whalesS.jpg

Click Image for a larger version.

We are continuing our sea theme to populate the vast waters of Wurm.

This time we are going big with the Blue Whale which will also have an effect for the characteristic action of blowing water.

Given what the devs are doing with the revolutionary turtle crafting, what do you think we can expect from Whale crafting?

More Medieval Interior!

Bookshelves

Bookshelves.png

Highchairs

highChairs.png

We have been working for some time now on building a new arsenal for the medieval interior decorators out there and these are the latest additions.

As you might know there are already several assets which are now only awaiting the code to make them craftable.

What this means is basically setting up how much of and which crafting ingredients are needed.

That is also the stage where we decide upon their description, usability, durability and difficulty to craft.

Alright Wurmians, it is a bit of a special feeling to be here again, hovering my mouse pointer over the Post New Topic button.

Once more thinking about how you will react and how much more there always is to share about the development and story of this game.

I can not help but think that this season is going to be a great one and I can hardly wait to start telling you why.

So I hope I will manage to get you at least half as excited as I am.

But I think you are, because obviously you

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 63

looks awesome, i love the tortoise shield looks fantastic.

This is good and dandy but for the love of god, stop adding things and fix the client laggy issues in massive cities...

• Like 18

Hmm alot of stuff to create more lag, very nice.

Any optimisation comming soon?

• Like 7

Where is wardrobe ?

Update seems to be great.

Edited by Martynas5

I love the new furniture, and I love the look of the new sea creatures, but it just doesn't make sense to me in any way to keep adding creatures to the oceans, when the first ones added (sharks) totally ruined hunting on land....

• Like 3

Firstly, welcome back.

Secondly, I'm really curious, why do you want the seas populated when there are so many things you can still do with the land animals? (ignoring the current bugs entirely, just want to know why the sea is important to you guys)

• Like 3

things suggested by the community and added to the game - that's great. keep the good work folks.

All great stuff but a little disappointed that the fence walls can only be on the outer walls makes building indoor stables not an option as you would need the gate/wall to be two tiles in from the back wall. Also was hoping the turtle shell would use large wood shield skills because that might have made it more popular.

Great to see you back though :)

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3

Firstly, welcome back.

Secondly, I'm really curious, why do you want the seas populated when there are so many things you can still do with the land animals? (ignoring the current bugs entirely, just want to know why the sea is important to you guys)

• Like 1

All great stuff but a little disappointed that the fence walls can only be on the outer walls makes building indoor stables not an option as you would need the gate/wall to be two tiles in from the back wall. Also was hoping the turtle shell would use large wood shield skills because that might have made it more popular.

Great to see you back though :)

Very happy that Wurm seas are finally getting some life!

In the past it was only birds underwater :P

• Like 1

It's great to see the graphics team making progress on new items.  I only wish the server and client developers could get more done in that same time.

• Like 4

At least something interesting after months of useless decorative items, I want to use that nice key bind interface.

Also I hope that we don't get a spam of whales like we had with the sharks.

Hmm alot of stuff to create more lag, very nice.

Any optimisation comming soon?

Optimization is ongoing in the background. We still have Mattias who I mentioned a while back but those guys at spotify gave him an offer he could not refuse. So now we only have him part time which means slower progress.

Awesome to see some updates.

Edited by Redd

Tortoises are already ingame and shields have been made fyi

Tortoises are already ingame and shields have been made fyi

Just the spawn of them is completely screwy so they are extremely rare.... extremely...