Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Merchant Ads or Want to Sell Thread?

I have seen more and more what i believe to be long term sale topics in the Want to Sell section when seems they clearly are making and selling items full time. I guess the question is what determines when it should stay and when it should be moved to Merchant Ads? (or does anyone else even care)

In my eyes if they are offering the same thing over and over with [new stock - date] or something with 10-15 pages then it is a merchant ad and not a sales thread. I consider the sales section for one off sales and the merchant ads can clog up the sales section rather fast keeping the one offs from getting good exposure. 

This is how I moderate it; If you update the post with new - additional - items, you're a merchant ad, and will go in the proper section.

In my opinion - want to sell is for assorted items, while merchant ads should be used when you are creating something by orders taken, or if you are constantly selling new things.

Edited by Samool

i think you got it right but its not a priority for forum mods.

I have to ask, do people even browse the merchant thread?

I have to ask, do people even browse the merchant thread?

I do searches and see what comes up is the first thing i do then go from there.

The only things I consider moving is services like - priest custom requests, bulk items, jobs within the game like terraforming or surface mining. These players are not selling bulk; just tools - at least 90% of the forum does not go to merchant ads when buying a tool just being brutally honest.

Edited by Niki

Gonna take a stab in the dark and guess this was directed at me since it was few mins after my post. Personally I think your nitpicking I don't always have stock or the time to make stock so a merchant ad wouldn't work because I wouldn't always be able to deliver on peoples requests (not sure on other peoples situations). Probably not going to have the best reputation if that's the case. Probably been 1 month since my last large sale thread which I locked 2 days later. I keep what i make and try sell it when I have a few free days. Don't really see what the problem is?

If it was weekly then I can sympathize more.

Edited by Lexi

Gonna take a stab in the dark and guess this was directed at me since it was few mins after my post. 

Not at all i can see that yours is a sale and not a full time thing. It was not directed at anyone really well not to be negative anyway but there are sales threads over there that have been there for months just adding in new stock all the time. I am not dissing them for trying to sell their items just the section they are trying to do it from. i use to be able to repot it and it would vanish for a while but that has stopped working now. I guess i might be over sensitive to the deal and the truth is the auction section is even worse but not much you can do about that i guess though as they are all auctions.  

Edit: Maybe a better thing would be to have tools/weapons/armor/characters/miscellaneous sales and auction sections? I can understand that the merchant ad section does not really work well but i guess we have to ask is.. why not?

Edited by Kegan

Ya and I do see your point there are some that are done weekly in Wts also. Probably shouldn't have jumped to conclusions so I apologise for that. Not sure on a solution, Would be difficult to moderate without set rules although I don't disagree with Jberg's method.

Edited by Lexi

Lexi, your sale doesn't belong in merchant threads at all, nor do I think anyone else would think so.

I've seen threads that are strictly bulk orders that you place in the WTS forums instead of merchant threads, which are clearly misplaced. Certain other things, such as smilingcat's thread, is pretty much a staple in the WTS forums and is questionable about which section it belongs in.

Personally I'd like to see people moderate themselves and place their threads in whatever section they honestly think it deserves to be in most.

Edited by williamwierd

I guess looking at it the sales section has three day old posts on the first page. I guess i am just bored today and needed something to complain about...heh

This can be closed sorry everyone..time to find something to do, lol