Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

The Five Senses

Instead of having the range of the local list act as a constant value, have it be a range (with a universal set minimum for humans) that can be modified by specialized pets (hunting or guard dogs), enchants, items, artifacts, skills (Forest Lore, passive Tracking unlocked at a level), actions, etc. In addition, there can be various ways of hindering a target's senses or blocking one's smell. Hunters using deer urine as a RL example (alchemy on a butchered bladder). 

Let the range be based on some formula using characteristics such as the five senses: smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. This can also include animals being listed nearby within your range of "senses".

A player's actions would also impact their showing up in "local" from further away, whether it range from noisily moving through brush to hammering metal.

Weather can even play a role, by smells drifting further downwind (get some soap in this game :P though, one could smell the more flowery soaps). Extreme heat evaporating scent molecules faster. For that matter, taking a Deep Breath could let one find a nearby bush or plant within season.

Changes to the general ambiance of an area the player is familiar with... the sounds of birds and critters suddenly vanish, major red flag.

In many ways this is related to Tracking and possible overhauls therein.

Edited by Klaa

- I think they've already got their hands full with various upcoming updates

- It'd be too much work for such a simple thing

- Theres enough things that would be far more important to add/update that would keep them busy for years even if they did decide to do something like this.

- The PvP'ers only make up a smaller amount of players than who would actually be able to(or atleast want to) use this.

I'm too lazy to actually state my opinion on this idea, aside from logistics :P.

Edited by williamwierd

Your first three arguments aren't really arguments Will, sorry.

+1 for some use of tracking, no opinion personally on the rest.

"I'm too lazy to actually state my opinion on this idea, aside from logistics :P."

They weren't really meant to be arguments towards the ideas here, just the implementation of them as opposed to other updates that should get precedence over any ideas.

Edited by williamwierd

It's all a matter of perspective. I'm sure that Klaa would want to see this added to game rather than sheep.

But off with derailing the thread.

We have not changed underwemps in years, Klaa. Can we leave smell out? :-P

• Like 1

Tbh Ive been looking forward to sheep. Any increase to the variety is welcome.

Honestly, this seems more annoying than fun. We already have a very small touch of this where mine locals are extended while viewing surface players and I wish it was just universal.