Sign in to follow this  
Tux

MMORPG missed Wurm

Just wait for Repopulation.

Then you will see some quality crafting.

taking another look at the article I have concerns.

1. A person who is not a fan of crafting should never write an article called '5 of the best crafting systems'

2. It appears to flip a bit between HOW things are actually created and WHAT you can create. For example combining different materials to make different things with different attributes is not a HOW its a WHAT. So with that Wurm should have been looked into, as well as a few other games even new ones like ArcheAge.

People here suggest that Rolf treats this game as though its a beta and on some level I understand why he would want to do that. For me personally if I am making a living on my product I wouldnt want to expose it to the rest of the toxic gaming community anyway. 

People here suggest that Rolf treats this game as though its a beta and on some level I understand why he would want to do that. For me personally if I am making a living on my product I wouldnt want to expose it to the rest of the toxic gaming community anyway. 

Yet instead of making rules to curb the toxic elements, he removes them, and replaces them for "GM will determine intent on the spot, and make his best guess on who's lying.  If someone digs up your perimeter to rock, it's theft and it's ok because deed it or lose it, if you go to their perimeter to take dirt back, it may be griefing because you were specifically angry at that person and wanted to give them a bad day".

Beta.

• Like 5

Yet instead of making rules to curb the toxic elements, he removes them, and replaces them for "GM will determine intent on the spot, and make his best guess on who's lying.  If someone digs up your perimeter to rock, it's theft and it's ok because deed it or lose it, if you go to their perimeter to take dirt back, it may be griefing because you were specifically angry at that person and wanted to give them a bad day".

Beta.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm against moves like adding Wurm to Steam until we have a ruleset that can deal with most cases on a simple set of "yes/no" questions on a checklist instead of subjective GM decisions.  For starters it's kinda silly that if I grief with an alt, only the alt is gonna get blacklisted while my main still runs around.

Edited by Mordraug

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm against moves like adding Wurm to Steam until we have a ruleset that can deal with most cases on a simple set of "yes/no" questions on a checklist instead of subjective GM decisions.  For starters it's kinda silly that if I grief with an alt, only the alt is gonna get blacklisted while my main still runs around.

• Like 1

Dunno... I hear the sound of a thousand cringes in the background =P

If the devs treat the game like it's in Beta the critics will as well.

I actually tried to like this post more than once - very well spoken...and I tend not to agree with you on a lot of topics.

I actually tried to like this post more than once - very well spoken...and I tend not to agree with you on a lot of topics.

I always agree with Aeris, she can beat me at arm wrestling.

• Like 2

Kind of sad, Aeris' astute comment seems to have plateaued at 36 likes, I was hoping it'd hit 50 or maybe 100.

I don't think it will matter anyways. I wouldn't have even logged into forums except to make this point: I honestly don't think it really does not matter what our opinion is, or what we think will improve Wurm... unless we happen to be a member of the Player Council. I stay away from these forums most often now, I only check them for bug reports and patch notes usually. Heck, we can even rage and quit and post a full blown essay on why we left and I get the impression that the people who should care actually Don't care as long as the money keeps flowing in. I love the game so I focus on the positive when I can.

As for why Wurm didn't get mentioned in article on mmorpg.com.... that's easy. I distinctly have gotten the impression that Wurm's reputation on that website is trash and has been for years (from what has been said by both posters and staff members on that site.) I am not surprised it was not mentioned.

I did do a Like for Aeris... way to go, nicely put.

Edited by geode

I can't believe you people think wurm should be on this list, wurm has some of the most BASIC crafting systems of any MMO I've ever played. MMORPG definitely did their research on this article and the games listed have incredible in-depth and complex crafting systems.

As for why Wurm didn't get mentioned in article on mmorpg.com.... that's easy. I distinctly have gotten the impression that Wurm's reputation on that website is trash and has been for years (from what has been said by both posters and staff members on that site.) I am not surprised it was not mentioned.

Hope you realize games like Mortal Online have an much worse reputation on that website than wurm and it's a very small population game, smaller than wurm! Yet it's crafting system is very complex and you can do literally millions of combinations when it comes to armor, weapons, cooking and alchemy all with cons and pros. What is special about wurms crafting system? Nothing, you just follow a recipe like most mmorpgs. Wurm has other cool things like terraforming, and building your own world but the crafting system itself is very basic and poor.

Edited by Lundy

Wurm is about terraforming and making buildings, not really a in dept Crafting game

Wurm is about terraforming and making buildings, not really a in dept Crafting game

I wouldn't say that. Before we got multi story buildings making buildings was, just like crafting, nothing special. So the game is clearly evolving, but crafting hasn't had an extra touch yet. Who knows, we might just get a huge crafting overhaul at some point.

I finally took the time to check the list of 5 crafting games. Guild Wars 2? Really? Wurm crafting system is better than that game's crafting system...

Edited by Ecrir

I'm not one to defend MMORPG.COM normally, but this isn't fair.

The article is about MMOs with good crafting mechanics, he outright states that it's about the mechanics themselves.

And by that criteria, yeah wurm is not really notable, crafting is important in wurm but the actual mechanic is "put 2 things in a window and push button". Same applies to EVE, UO and a few other games people brought up.

The games on their list have much more involved crafting mechanics and that's what the article is about.

After the industry update on EVE, it's not even that complicated. You just need a blueprint and the right ingredients in your cargo hanger.

That's what i meant. You can't really compare that or wurm's crafting window to something like FFXIV or Vanguard crafting systems. That's what the article was about.

• Like 1

That's what i meant. You can't really compare that or wurm's crafting window to something like FFXIV or Vanguard crafting systems. That's what the article was about.

But you can sure make some pretty spreadsheets for the EVE one. :-P

Kind of sad, Aeris' astute comment seems to have plateaued at 36 likes, I was hoping it'd hit 50 or maybe 100.

Well, I have to disagree with you here as to it being "astute", as well as it not getting any like from me. I just see it as a simple statement that sounds good (to those who are of that mindset) with little substance behind it. The broad bounds that it covers have to many connecting intricacies involved to back it up without going into detailed dissections of the various aspects contained within it to back up that statement.

Anyway, I don't see the Dev's as treating the game as if it is a beta, so can't agree with that. Just a convenient short statement for those who have various dissatisfactions with the game to hang their hat upon; therefore, the "likes" attached to it, but I still like a lot of your comments, although I am not likely to like this use of the word astute attributed to this unlikely candidate for it. Not that I don't like Aeris, nor not that I do, since it has little to do with that likelihood, likely.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

So out of curiosity how could the crafting system be tweaked to meet your high expectations? :-)

• Like 2

Well the crafting here is more about improving an item not actually creating them so i would say you need to improve that system to be more fun or at least more user friendly. I would love just to be able to use the improve keybind and as long as you have the tools etc in your inventory it would just use the correct item rather then have to activate a new item every time.

• Like 1

Well the crafting here is more about improving an item not actually creating them so i would say you need to improve that system to be more fun or at least more user friendly. I would love just to be able to use the improve keybind and as long as you have the tools etc in your inventory it would just use the correct item rather then have to activate a new item every time.

• Like 2

An "autorepair" option that automatically stops the current queue and repairs the item would take a LOT of the tedium out of imping.

Being able to add additional, optional materials during improvement or creation to add small but noticeable adjustements to performance or cosmetic changes would also be great.

"Tool box" containers that can contain the entire set of improvement tools for a craft would help the clutter that is my tool chest and make task changing less annoying. I'm not a huge fan of automatic tool selection, but maybe the toolbox could have that function. 

• Like 1

Being able to add additional, optional materials during improvement or creation to add small but noticeable adjustements to performance or cosmetic changes would also be great.

• Like 1

I just see it as a simple statement that sounds good (to those who are of that mindset) with little substance behind it. 

=Ayes=

• Like 2

So out of curiosity how could the crafting system be tweaked to meet your high expectations? :-)