Sign in to follow this  
Fireflyb

High Stance Skill

So, I know that pre-fighting fix accounts can sometimes have very high Fighting sub(stance?) skills, like a Normal Fighting skill of 90; it is commonly said that more FS = more CR, but what exactly do the "stance" skills do?  I assume make it easier to aim, and maybe make special moves land more powerful/more often?

Just curious if anyone has done testing, or if any veteran players may know how this adds up.

I just assume it makes that stance better. Agg you have more chance of hitting. Normal you have more chance of hitting, more chance of blocking/parrying. Def you block/parry more. Might be more to it though.

I know it helps specifically with you defensive abilities, and increases accuracy.

Accuracy is solely based on CR, skill wise the most comes from Fighting overall then you just have your general CR buffs and needs such as footing and height bonus. Subskill does provide come extra CR I think its like 2 at level 90 I can't remember which is equal to 10 fs in PvP.

Probably 2 CR at 100 for normal.

The others give offensive/defensive buffs and nerfs, but I don't think it was ever mentioned how much, but the skill is likely a % of how much of the bonuses you get.

EDIT: 2.5

Edited by Joemog

I believe there was a update in 2011 that said the sub-fighting (like normal fighting) could give a bonus of 2.5CR maximum. (or not?)

Edited by whykillme

• Aggressive stance deals more damage

Defensive stance now deals a lot less damage

Defensive stance gives more bonuses when parrying and using shield

Normal stance gives a bit higher Combat Rating so you hit easier

• The effects of defensive and aggressive mode has increased. They are dependant on skill. Max combat rating bonus for normal fighting was raised to 2.5

You need to succeed with the skill rolls for aggressive and defensive mode in order to receive these effects

• Aggressive style damage was tweaked upwards

Defensive style damage was tweaked upwards

You now receive CR bonus for attacking while aggressive

You now receive CR penalty against attacks while aggressive

from change logs (oldest to newest)

iirc aggressive adds a 33% damage bonus to damage depending on skill (where 100 agg gives full bonus), im pretty sure nosyt/xallo did extensive testing

• Like 1

Aggressive damage is way less than a 33% bonus. More like 15% maybe. Just what I can tell from doing a few hits.

Doesn't Body Strength play a role in increased damage percentage? Maybe that's why you are seeing differences with aggressive stance?

Thanks for responses so far, did a quick test with normal/aggressive just for funsies:

No hits were in less armored locations like head, neck, eyes, crotch, hands, feet.  (afaik thighs/arms aren't significantly different in damage reduction than torso/stomach)

Used two characters, one hitting had a 50ql birchwood huge axe, 70 in all relevant skills; hittee was wearing no armor, 70 in relevant skills, and in normal fighting stance.

Aggressive:

avg.: 48.80

Normal:

avg.: 39.60

48.80/39.60 = ~1.23x (23% increase in damage from aggressive over normal)

• Like 2

Accuracy is solely based on CR, skill wise the most comes from Fighting overall then you just have your general CR buffs and needs such as footing and height bonus. Subskill does provide come extra CR I think its like 2 at level 90 I can't remember which is equal to 10 fs in PvP.

48.80/39.60 = ~1.23x (23% increase in damage from aggressive over normal)

Hm from my testing on live when it was changed, then nerfed, then rebalanced, I continually got ~15% more dmg

Hm from my testing on live when it was changed, then nerfed, then rebalanced, I continually got ~15% more dmg

[17:29:02] 3 other players are online. You are on Test002 (5 totally in Wurm).

Dunno if that makes a difference...

CR is how well you will hit or miss.

This doesn't account for glances on armor, blocking with shield or parrying with swords.

I imagine it all runs in at the same time but the roll might work something like..

Is it a hit? Yes?

Did the player dodge? No

Did player block with their shield? No

Did player block with their sword? No

Did players armor glance? No

Player recieve 10 damage.

The only details on how the system works is the hit or miss rate, all other skills that affect defensive rates, body control for dodging, shield skill for blocking, weapon skill for parrying and armor type/quality for glance.

Don't think I've missed any other factors?

I'm not sure how defensive stance plays a role, if it lowers hit chance it effectively lowers CR? Which would mean your oponent will not miss as much, but may improve dodge, parry and shield blocking rates.. Interesting I never thought of it like that.. It must only reduce damage and longer swing timers, I can't see it affecting CR fairly.

Edited by MetalDragon
  • Like 1