Sign in to follow this  
BrandonSF

Welcome back Dev Team! Now.. lets talk shop.

I hope everyone had a splendid vacation! Here in the states, we generally only get two weeks unless you are a politician.

So I actually can't talk "shop" much as I honestly know very little regarding the development of these games, but I see a lot of people talking about upcoming crabs, bridges, boat models, sheep..etc. Now I'm as excited as the next about seeing a crab (not really) but what I would like most....is to be able to turn around in a cave without disconnecting a million times. It would also be nice to see it not take 5 log in attempts for my friends to be able to play. Maybe be able to go on a raid without being so lagged tha.. ((((Screen freezes --disconnects))).

So while I am sure that you're all itching to get those sheep spawning, I ask that you maybe spend the 1st few weeks of your time back from vacation maybe working on the stability and performance of the game. Even a mention of these issues and that you're working on it would be awesome. As I write this, my client has crashed 2 times..and yes, my settings are all low.

Thanks!

Brandon

Edited by BrandonSF
  • Like 6

+1.. I made a thread somewhere a few months back about stopping the addition of new features and fixing issues with the current ones, had a list of like 20-30 or so MAJOR issues that still, to this day, need to be addressed but have not been...

Please, stop adding frill. Make what we already have WORK, and maybe throw in some improvements. You've already done up the mailing system a bit which was a nice touch, but not quite what people wanted/expected from it (we can still mail masts but not swords.. WTF?

• Like 1

Maybe you need a better pc or something because i have no issues with the game crashing ever it is very stable for me. 

• Like 1

Maybe you need a better pc or something because i have no issues with the game crashing ever it is very stable for me. 

Problems perhaps aren't as pronounced to to some people depending on how densely populated they may live on each particular server. So whilst you may not experience stability problems or low performance you should should perhaps be mindful your circumstances do not apply to everyone. I personally have a very decent gaming rig however in my village where about 15 active players live I'm lucky to stay over 20FPS and can get as low as 8FPS sometimes. When i leave the village my FPS skyrockets to 60FPS where I've capped it to make it easier for me to multiclient.

I tend to find that most of the problems with my client crashing occur during start up or within the first 10mins of my client being logged in occasionally it can take me up to 3 attempts to successfully log in.  I also find that whenever more than about 10 players get together in one area the drop is FPS is exponential. On Chaos where groups of 20-30players+ coming together regularly is a common occurrence you can see this poses quite afew issues.  There is also a notable drop in performance when traveling for longer distances causing "stutter" lag where despite your surroundings your FPS will drop  to 1 momentarily before returning to normal and continues to do this every 1-2mins until you relog your client. 

As I say these performance problems are not obviously applicable to everyone but it does effect alot of players regardless. The last few updates have seen changes and new mechanics added in that are neither added more crucial content nor fix old content which is still broken. Let alone the need to make the Wurm Client more efficient and stable. Addressing these problems does 0 harm to anyone, improves the gameplay for all and also makes the game accessible to more people who may not have the means nor ability to buy better hardware which again is good for the game. So following that train of thought, I give this a whole hearted +1

• Like 2

+1

I agree with you, the frezzee is a big problem expecially on big deed where the memory used from wurm is from 1.3 and 2GiB of RAM (for low settings, when normal is around 800MiB)

But with realistic opinion I really don't think 1 week will be enough, and not sure if it is really a problem of Wurm or of Java or of the Graphics Enginge.

I have a really old computer 

System Manufacturer
Dell Inc.

System Model
OptiPlex 360

Processor
Intel® Core2 Duo CPU     E7400  @ 2.80GHz, 2800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)
3,00 GB

Total Physical Memory
3,00 GB

Video display
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430

Adapter RAM
1,00 GB

Still... I almost never crash (definitely less than once per month), I almost never DC (but this should be about network connection, not about computer), I have 30 fps (at which I capped) all the time (including on the two recent very busy dragon fights with 100-150 people in local and taking place right on big deeds), and I even rarely have travel lag (I traveled from Pristine to Indy once, without a relog - Shrimpiie can testify that because it was a delivery for him and was with him on chat all the trip).

So I really find WURM as a very stable game, not causing any kind of problem. So I think that the problems some people encounter are because of bad settings on their computer, on their game or just for over burning their computer with multiple game clients running at the same time, or also doing something else (like watching movies) on background.

+1 x 1,000! 

I can play much more supposedly "demanding" games on my system just fine but can hardly move on Wurm in a local with numerous other players around. Hell, some deeds and areas on some servers lag me out even if I'm alone in local. I get travel lag so bad at times it's not even funny and the only cure is to restart the game every so often. Crossing server borders often gives me visual glitches like guard towers, epic portals, columns, and colossus IN the water. 

And no, there is absolutely NOTHING running in the background. I've tried disabling all auto updates, closing ALL other programs, and even turning off all anti virus and firewalls trying to find a solution for this myself. With nothing else running Wurm will still randomly, as in I can find no pattern to it, jump my CPU usage up to 100%. 

I've done complete uninstalls & reinstalls of the game. Adjusted my settings in numerous ways and nothing has really helped. 

• Like 1

I do admit i like my isolation and it is only ever me or maybe one more person in my local on deliveries but i do live in areas with lots of buildings and animals.

I would say not only improve stability / performance, but also take some time to fix bugs (not just the major ones).

+1

'Client stability' isn't a simple thing the entire team can spend a week on just to magically fix - it has been an ongoing process for months now trying to fix up the crashes that change from system to system.

The thing is we can't fix anything without crash logs - console.log crash logs to be specific. With those we can track down where in the client things are going wrong, and try to fix them, but just getting reports of 'I'm crashing every 2 minutes' doesn't help us fix anything. I've just had a quick look at the client bugs section, and of the resent 'client crash' threads, there is only one or two with enough information we can use to fix things, and one of those was an error due to hardware and driver issues.

Better yet, I've started this thread: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/107691-client-crashing-frequently-post-your-consolelog-here/

• Like 5

just an FYI, i've tried to post crash logs and it always tells me that my post is too long.

just an FYI, i've tried to post crash logs and it always tells me that my post is too long.

Use a spoiler :P

Use a spoiler :P

even with the spoiler.  even with cutting down some of the extra lines.  couldnt fit it, didnt know how much i could remove, got frustrated and now i just deal with the crashes

even with the spoiler.  even with cutting down some of the extra lines.  couldnt fit it, didnt know how much i could remove, got frustrated and now i just deal with the crashes

Can you pastebin or something else instead and just put link in that thread.

+1.. I made a thread somewhere a few months back about stopping the addition of new features and fixing issues with the current ones, had a list of like 20-30 or so MAJOR issues that still, to this day, need to be addressed but have not been...

Please, stop adding frill. Make what we already have WORK, and maybe throw in some improvements. You've already done up the mailing system a bit which was a nice touch, but not quite what people wanted/expected from it (we can still mail masts but not swords.. WTF?

Normally, I don't have too many problems with my "ancient" laptop (specs are pretty close to Lovefall's specs above). There are a couple things that really hurt gameplay for me though:

1. Weather effects (rain, fog, snow) lags me tremendously and bottoms out my FPS. Also, memory used by the client shoots up. On mount, it's fairly intolerable/unplayable.

2. People in my local. The more people, the worse it is. The public unique slaying events prove to be the worst for me. My client will use more than double the memory it usually allocates and my client goes into a perpetual non-responsive state. I have a feeling that the problem lies in player armor, as when I relog into those situations, it is the player's armor that takes eons to load back up again, and as I watch everyone's armor load up in game, I also watch the memory allocated by the client skyrocket too.

If your laptop's low-end, and Wurm's your only game................. 

Try Mint 17 with ... XFCE or MATE.  Should run way smoother thanks to the absence of windows clutter... 

WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data On Whole System 

Would love to see positioning looked at really closely. It's been going on a long time.

wurm uses 19% of my system resources set to medium-high graphics (I run several high graphics game maxed out) and it still crashes violently

2 mac users in my town generally crash 2-3 times first time they log in and both run above average systems as well and my friends list constantly goes lost link and reset not to mention random laag that just appears randomly and before people ask - there also seems to be a pretty large memory leak with items no unloading as the farther you travel the faster you get FPS loss and it will suddenly drop to 0 then up to 10 and back to 0 forcing a restart or nearly unplayable - and anyone being chased by something that can fly or swim knows you can't exactly always afford to log out

wurm uses 19% of my system resources set to medium-high graphics (I run several high graphics game maxed out) and it still crashes violently

2 mac users in my town generally crash 2-3 times first time they log in and both run above average systems as well and my friends list constantly goes lost link and reset not to mention random laag that just appears randomly and before people ask - there also seems to be a pretty large memory leak with items no unloading as the farther you travel the faster you get FPS loss and it will suddenly drop to 0 then up to 10 and back to 0 forcing a restart or nearly unplayable - and anyone being chased by something that can fly or swim knows you can't exactly always afford to log out

LOGS LOGS LOGS/

We can't do anything with "I crash lots".

• Like 2

LOGS LOGS LOGS/

A ton of people wont load up the world after switching servers with ships, how about you client devs fix that? :)

The norm for pvpers is to ALWAYS keep two clients open cuz failing to load the world upon crossing is so frequent.

• Like 1

LOGS LOGS LOGS/

I've been at work so this is my first reply in tread.

Usually I don't get an error log. My screen freezes and the client "stops responding" so I just force the client down. I get a message from java saying it's looking for a solution to the problem, but none is ever found. I do have A FEW error logs from a different type pf crash I get. I'll post the most recent to the thread you linked.

The folks in this thread grieving their performance issues are but just a tiny fraction of customers who have been having problems with stability, as I am sure you can imagine. I've seen many attempt to log in several times just to give up, stop trying, and move on to another (usually more graphic intense game).

I appreciate your responding to this thread, Budda.  :D 

'Client stability' isn't a simple thing the entire team can spend a week on just to magically fix - it has been an ongoing process for months now trying to fix up the crashes that change from system to system.

The thing is we can't fix anything without crash logs - console.log crash logs to be specific. With those we can track down where in the client things are going wrong, and try to fix them, but just getting reports of 'I'm crashing every 2 minutes' doesn't help us fix anything. I've just had a quick look at the client bugs section, and of the resent 'client crash' threads, there is only one or two with enough information we can use to fix things, and one of those was an error due to hardware and driver issues.

Better yet, I've started this thread: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/107691-client-crashing-frequently-post-your-consolelog-here/

Why not just have it submit the crash logs to the server automaticly, and you can do searches through the database to see if the same thing is happening constantly?   OR when your optimizing your compatibility, it can use the logs to help do that, by letting you see what the majority of the players use.  

• Like 2