Sign in to follow this  
Jusdolzan

We need new combat!

You're kidding right? There's a ton of MMORPGs with servers based in a single location that server worldwide playerbases, That includes Action MMORPGs and FPS games. Sure yes, lag happens, but then again that's not always on the server. Besides anything even the most laggy twich combat game, or target+hotkey, or whatever combat is tons better than te current laggy and crappy stuff we have today. Lag's just a lame excuse, nothing else.

Name them?

• Like 3

The combat in wurm needs to be interactive, you need to be able to activate some kind of slash or bash or maybe stab by the press of some buttons. There should be a skill curve in combat rather than you just sitting there looking at the dumb window smashing focus. Super fun right there.

Edit: Perhaps some kind of movements with the mouse to activate some sword moves, idk... Thats my two cents.. and a quarter.

Edited by shuego

The combat in wurm needs to be interactive, you need to be able to activate some kind of slash or bash or maybe stab by the press of some buttons. There should be a skill curve in combat rather than you just sitting there looking at the dumb window smashing focus. Super fun right there.

Edit: Perhaps some kind of movements with the mouse to activate some sword moves, idk... Thats my two cents.. and a quarter.

you can change the positioning of where you aim, the stance you are in which greatly affects your fighting, your focus, special moves, and shield bashes. Do you even play this game? Learn the game you play before making a suggestion

Combat systems like those of mount & blade certainly wont work here (I'd love to have Dark Soul's combat system even more, but it also won't work here). Wurm has all it's servers in Sweden, so while that system would likely work fine for everybody in Europe, everybody outside of Europe would have a problem. That's why most mmo games have servers on multiple continents. Since Wurm doesn't have that, you'd need a combat system which does not suffer (much) from latency issues.

The current system is mostly automated and turn/timer based so that works fine from a latency point of view. Due to latency many things probably can't be changed. For example blocking, you likely can't put that in the hands of the player without suffering from latency, especially inter continent latency which could go up to half a second or more. How do you block an attack if it has already happened before you see it? It would come down to keeping the block button pressed during the entire battle, so there's not much of a point in giving the player control of that.

Latency issues would probably also exist if you allow players to attack by pressing the left mouse button combined with targeting their attack (which part of the enemies body they hit) with the mouse cursor. It could probably work fine without the mouse cursor targeting, in that case it could work like Morrowind's combat system. I'd imagine that is one of the systems which could work as well as what we have now, while giving a little bit more control to the user, but I don't think it's enough of a difference for it to matter.

Personally I'd love to see something else entirely, say switching completely to a more tactical turn based combat system, something like those in Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem. But that would certainly be a huge change compared to what we have now, so I'll just keep on dreaming about that as I don't see it happening here.

Kane: Most of FPS games are not as realtime as you think, both server and client have some error in calculations because they need to think what'll be next of the player moves.

You can't simply have realtime advanced fighting. Especially in MMO.

Edited by Samool

If we're gonna twitch, let it be Tera style. B)  M&B is weak.

Better servers/server code then?

I mean complaining about something that is on your hands to solve isn't really a good excuse is it?

If it was "Oh if we do a proper combat then the Earth will cease rotating on its axis and the earth would freeze on one half and would boil on the other", now that would be a proper excuse.

Our game lags too much.... Wow man. Seriously? You're using one of your faults to justify another?

That's like someone saying "Hey man, i can't lose weight. I'm fat because i'm lazy."

• Like 1

I know its hard to do but im serius, why do u think not so much players play wurm online, and why everywhone leave! 

If we're gonna twitch, let it be Tera style. B)  M&B is weak.

Edited by Alec
  • Like 2

This current combat system is not bad and imo it should be improved, not wiped out for something totally new.

• Like 4

you can change the positioning of where you aim, the stance you are in which greatly affects your fighting, your focus, special moves, and shield bashes. Do you even play this game? Learn the game you play before making a suggestion

I guess I was too vague. And obviously you don't really understand what I'm talking about.

By mouse interactions I mean you make a movement on the screen with your mouse or something to activate a move. Maybe some different controls. You say it is interactive, but really you still just stand there and attack most of the time and that's boring and I think needs some improvements somewhere.

And sir keep calm and chive on. :)

...but really you still just stand there and attack most of the time and that's boring ...

welcome to PvE in Wurm.

You say it is interactive, but really you still just stand there and attack most of the time and that's boring and I think needs some improvements somewhere.

Maybe for pve, but in pvp it is very interactive, you should try it some time

After the Niflheim raid I was a victim of, I will never go back to pvp.

M&B combat system is not going to happen

I'd like to see improvements to balance and current system instead.

• Like 1

Wurm combat always been boring.

Add some stances that is skill based and gets better as you use em. I'd imagine whole lot of skills you use during fight

so finally it would need some sort of thinking.

Sure it won't take whole lot if finally it is recognised that which direction the hit is coming to target ( sides , front or back )

I can think so much more to better the wurm fighting system but nay. It won't happen im sure of this.

And finally M&B style combat yeah dream on. Not on wurm as we know it based on java.

Twitch combat will never work; practically everyone outside of North America and Europe will have 350-500ms latency to Wurm (sometimes half a second delay) such a system would greatly disadvantage a huge portion of the world in PvP. 

Wurm combat always been boring.

Add some stances that is skill based and gets better as you use em. I'd imagine whole lot of skills you use during fight

so finally it would need some sort of thinking.

Sure it won't take whole lot if finally it is recognised that which direction the hit is coming to target ( sides , front or back )

I can think so much more to better the wurm fighting system but nay. It won't happen im sure of this.

And finally M&B style combat yeah dream on. Not on wurm as we know it based on java.

All of these things already exist.

As your weapon skill increases the chance for you to change you stance (aim at various part of enemy body) increases; and at various levels of weapon skills you unlock special moves that you can perform in various stances; each of them provides various disadvantages and advantages (you waste alot of stamina but some of them do really nice damage; stun your enemy or remove your enemies food and water) - if you watch what stances your enemy is moving into you can defend various areas to block them from doing special moves.

Then you also have shieldbash and focusing which can help change the balance of a fight dramatically.

People who say the combat system does not require thinking have probably only ever fought PvE; there is so much thinking in PvP it's ridiculous.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1

Twitch combat will never work; practically everyone outside of North America and Europe will have 350-500ms latency to Wurm (sometimes half a second delay) such a system would greatly disadvantage a huge portion of the world in PvP. 

All of these things already exist.

As your weapon skill increases the chance for you to change you stance (aim at various part of enemy body) increases; and at various levels of weapon skills you unlock special moves that you can perform in various stances; each of them provides various disadvantages and advantages (you waste alot of stamina but some of them do really nice damage; stun your enemy or remove your enemies food and water) - if you watch what stances your enemy is moving into you can defend various areas to block them from doing special moves.

Then you also have shieldbash and focusing which can help change the balance of a fight dramatically.

People who say the combat system does not require thinking have probably only ever fought PvE; there is so much thinking in PvP it's ridiculous.

Im sorry Gavin i was not clear enough.

Been on wurm since Beta and it is boring as boring can get and offers nothing of challenge.

You do not need any brains to beat someone in combat really. Just grind skill up and voila.

Only few skills effect in the fighting.

You missed the point about "stances"

Not going to explain since it wont benefit anyone.

But as for thread. Yes we need more and better combat system + more weapon and armor choices.

Plate and longsword with large shield is getting rather boring.

I'd ask for a rebalance of weapons and expansions on weapons - and then additional styles to go with each weapon type

like unarmed gets some kinda spiked knuckle - and isn't just a joke anymore

swords gets a high accuracy fast swing sword like scimitar and a thrust based one like gladius

hammers get morning stars a spiked maul like item made for killing heavy armor

ect ect

then add style - like increased speed parry defense shield block or power strikes then people have to pick one to really get into

so like a lightning style mixed with twin weapons (duel wielding would now be skill based not just random 2nd attack) for rapid parry and highly accurate if low damage cuts - or thunder style a 2 handed morning star and slow but massively powerful hits with little to no parry

this is of course just a off the top of my head so can be improved but it gives a basic idea without creating any really new mechanics just modified old mechanics to make choices matter more

Tera use a very good hitbox, and now you make me want to go and play with my elin again.

I still sometimes log onto my elin slayer for some excellent pvp.

I meant really, I'm not a pvper but Tera's pvp just did it right for me. I was no sloutch on my lance either.

Edited by Elen

I still sometimes log onto my elin slayer for some excellent pvp.

I meant really, I'm not a pvper but Tera's pvp just did it right for me. I was no sloutch on my lance either.

I still have to play PvP there, my friends stop playing before I even reach lvl 20, and then I just played randomly and alone. So if I keep leveling up like this, in one-two years I will reach the end-game content.

/offtopic

+1 pvpers can cry... like always

Edited by Ibexx