Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

AoSP and fight skills

I have an auction going with a drake set with AoSP on it and there was a guy wanting the AoSP removed and claimed it was a skill stealer. Is there any truth to that? I see on the wiki that is says.."Skill is generally only gained on the death of an opponent"  so does that mean the armor gets some of your skills? I just find this to be odd thinking that my armor is taking skill away from me and if that is truly the case seems more like a bug and needs fixed. 

What do you think/know about this?

Edited by Kegan

I would say yes it is a skill thief at least it steals you weapon skill for sure. I am not sure with fighting skill, but the fighting skillgain differs by the work you have to kill it. (eg. if a guard helps you, you will only get a certain percentage of the total skillgain). I am not sure if it is the same with AOSP though.

• Like 1

I've always been told that it counts as another source of damage other than you, so the skill is reduced - similar to if a templar or tower guard is fighting with you. I've got no proof, but that's the explanation I got when I queried it.

• Like 1

by "Skill Stealing" I assume he means it will somewhat take away the ability to gain fighting related skills, weapon, shield, and stance because the damage done by the Armour will shorten the duration of the fight and the player's DPS. Is it a bug? Or course not, it is doing what it is intended. Is it beneficial for a fighting account to have it on PvE? Depends on how fast they want to level Fighting sub skills.

• Like 1

If something takes from asop you dont get to have as many swings.  So it reduces weaponskill gain, not fight skill.

• Like 2

Well i am not a number cruncher or theory crafter in games i just play them but i had always thought that AoSP was more desirable on armor.

Okay well it just seemed odd to me but i guess it sounds like there might be some truth to it....thanks

Edited by Kegan

on drake or scale the damage AoSP does is not that high - as such it's only helpfull in hairy situations else you will most certainly kill the mobs before the AoSP take it down.

For the lulz the only time my scale aosp helped was on a sea serpent fight. when the serpent killed itself on it while killing me. Nota : fight sea serpent on boat and not while swimming.

I've always been told that it counts as another source of damage other than you, so the skill is reduced - similar to if a templar or tower guard is fighting with you. I've got no proof, but that's the explanation I got when I queried it.

I was told this too,

but recently I have been fight alot with asop studded, and have been gettting good FS, ie 0.1 to 0.2 for spiders with 20FS

FS is about the creature killed, and is only divided amongst participants. AoSP wont steal gains, but increase damage output therefore your share of the FS gains (if they're being shared).

Weapon skill, stance skill, etc are all per hit based. AoSP does damage, meaning less hits are required to finish the target. Less hits = less skillgain.

Therefore, AoSP is only useful if you want to sacrifice wep/stance gains for FS gains. E.g. useless to Freedomers above 70FS, as the FS gains are too small to bother with from this point, and wep/stance will increase combat capabilities a lot more than 0.006FS gain will.

If you get hit enough for aosp to actually make a difference, then there's a problem and it isn't aosp

• Like 2