Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Pick-pocketing, Snoop/Peak, and sleight-of-hand

Pretty much as thievery was in Ultima Online (stealing from houses wasn't an option... usually).

Being able to steal from people's inventory, higher levels unlock equipped gear as an option. Snooping lets one get a (accuracy varies) look of aforementioned inventory. Sleight of hand enables one to slip something unseen into target inventory (player or container).

Weight and ql impact difficulty.

The usual permissions and reputation hits.

Cannot be performed within a certain time period of fighting (unless really high level?)

• Like 4

I think it is a horrible feature, i have never liked being able to pickpocket etc. Rather quit a game that has those features, horrible imo.

If it somehow is added, PVP servers only.

Oh yeah PVP servers... atm the current method of stealing from another's person is pretty much mugging and murdering them.

-1. Prefer the mug and murder method. Doesn't seem possible to walk up to someone and pick pocket them without being stabbed in the eye with a sword on Chaos at least. lol

In middle of a combat, I don't see why enemy would suddenly start reaching for your pockets.

murder + loot works alrdy imo.

Its interesting and I like the concept but I can't see it working in Wurm. PVE is supposed to be safe so that leaves PVP. On pvp servers if you see someone you're unfamiliar with in local you are going to hunt them down or go somewhere safe. Unless stealth (which I am not familiar with) is sufficient enough to sneak up on people entirely undetected without triggering guards idk if it would work. Wurm seems to be too focused on kingdom vs kingdom/group combat so playing the lone wolf pickpocket seems tricky to make work especially with lack of neutral towns. :(

runescape also had pickpocketing, not sure it fit a purpose in wurm

pvp server just kill eachother, and on freedom u cant steal

Edit: ya maybe have a purpose on pvp server after all, sneak up and try take something.

Coz on freedom server u can walk up to player from behind, and they notice nutting and when they turn around to see the tamed champion bear i placed behind them, they run off scared.

It would atleast give an alternative from just plain killing someone, that might runaway and live.

Dayz (arma3) system where you can instead of kill people take them hostage, is like another level of gameplay.

So instead of kill enemy, take him hostage, interrigate for a minute, then let him go.

Edited by Tissotx

This was one of the funniest skills in Ultima online, it was called: snooping to check ppl backpacks and it was called stealing to actually steal something, this was incredibly hard to skill but so funny if it succeeded.

Big +1 from me, only pvp servers tho.

Edited by LorenaMontana

-1 just kill them and take the loot time would be better spent fixing bugs and improving stability

But what if one doesn't want to murder fellow kingdom members?

There is a vast difference between killing and stealing. For example the current Stealing skill works for stealing from [the deeds of] people of the same kingdom, alliance, village, etc without alerting the guards (your god still notices). If you are of an opposing faction of the victim, then the Stealing skill is pretty much useless.

Its probably the main reason most people don't bother with the skill, there's not much call for it... aside from what might happen if your fellows learn you are training it.  :ph34r:

Pick-pocketing as I see it should work along the same lines, its only practical for those players who wish to play as thieves within a kingdom. If you are of an opposing faction, then it has little use for you.

Oh and I neglected to add an anti-pickpocketing skill (I recall some MUDS having such but not Ultima Online), or perhaps the chance of noticing a theft should be reliant on some stat like Mind speed. Unless one wants to add stats for the various senses: touch, smell, hearing, taste, and vision

Edited by Klaa

Other than pickpocketing your friends for fun, I don't see much actual use for it.

If you're on a PvP server and get caught stealing items of value from players in the same kingdom, you probably wont last long anyway.

Would definitely be fun to steal a friends weapon right from their hands though.

Edited by Outlaw

You'd be surprised... :ph34r:

Generally thats true, Ive seen more than a few such examples (especially ones taking advantage of oversights in the rep system). Rarely pays to be a well known thief, unless you are another thief making use of that reputation to frame the first for your own crimes.  :D

Goes to show how useful it is to have friends in low and high places, also not to ###### with them, especially from a pragmatic viewpoint.

Edited by Klaa

you also have to remember that this game is not a sandbox game. the devs do not want people stealing and killing same kingdom players for fun. you can do it if you have a reason but the moment you start doing it to randoms it falls into the realm of harrasment

Edited by nosfirebird

+1, it was one of the best parts of UO. Or any other game that implemented it properly, for that matter.

My main concern is that Wurm might still be too small for anyone to use it. A person's reputation is massively important here, so there's no "blending in," so to speak. The very first time you ever get caught, that's it. You're done. From that point on, no kingdom will accept you, and your kingdommates will kill you before you can ever get close enough to steal again.

you also have to remember that this game is not a sandbox game. the devs do not want people stealing and killing same kingdom players for fun. you can do it if you have a reason but the moment you start doing it to randoms it falls into the realm of harrasment

Actually they do. Otherwise why bother adding the skills to enable such gameplay (Lockpicking and Stealing) and the /reputation system. You are allowed to murder and steal from players within the same kingdom, you just lose reputation and/or go Hunted while as a WLer (assuming one isnt abusing loopholes). Consequences for actions. Similar to the justice system Ultima Online used. Furthermore, a carebear cluster like Freedom didnt even exist originally. The server setup in Epic was for the most part the initial idea.

Heck Blacklighters in the beginning (-200 reputation is an auto BL conversion) were intended to be a dumping ground for such players who habitually did such. They didnt even have their own kingdom, let alone home server, until Unforgiven and so on.

Actually they do. Otherwise why bother adding the skills to enable such gameplay (Lockpicking and Stealing) and the /reputation system. You are allowed to murder and steal from players within the same kingdom, you just lose reputation and/or go Hunted while as a WLer (assuming one isnt abusing loopholes). Consequences for actions. Similar to the justice system Ultima Online used. Furthermore, a carebear cluster like Freedom didnt even exist originally. The server setup in Epic was for the most part the initial idea.

Heck Blacklighters in the beginning (-200 reputation is an auto BL conversion) were intended to be a dumping ground for such players who habitually did such. They didnt even have their own kingdom, let alone home server, until Unforgiven and so on.

Not really, you have to play as "the kingdom you selected", or you are "metagaming on a grand scale" and can be banned for it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't count being a thief inside your own kingdom as meta gaming.

It's straight up roleplaying, depending on how you do it of course. (Could be considered meta gaming if you were stealing items of value then selling for real money of course)

Not really, you have to play as "the kingdom you selected", or you are "metagaming on a grand scale" and can be banned for it.

Thats when the player in question is exploiting loopholes. One in particular influenced the addition of Hunted status to the /reputation system. In fact that entire situation was unique for Rolf having to step in... such antics were possible before; though, no player had been quite so brazen prior.

Otherwise its perfectly fine to be a thief within one's own kingdom, as per the Thievery skills and the /reputation system as mentioned beforehand.

EDIT: Oh and Outlaw its perfectly fine to sell "hot" goods in Wurm for RL money... I know from personal experience.

Edited by Klaa

It should be very clear the difference between playing outlaw, and certain things happening lately

• Like 1