Sign in to follow this  
Tokeri

Converting Clay to Dirt

Clay to Dirt  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a way to make Clay tiles into dirt tiles?

• yes
    • no

can we get a high level priest spell that can turn clay into dirt ?

or anything along those lines that makes it impossible to greif with.

with xanadu clay is everywhere, raise a couple of tiles up from the sea and half of them are likely to be clay.

any thoughts on this ? has it been discussed before?

It has been discussed often.   The general consensum is negative towards a way to eliminating a resource, without any mechanics in place to create said resource.

• Like 10

How about floor boards, but it still keeps it a clay tile underneath?

• Like 2

I will +1 williamwierd's floorboards over it but if you remove a resource such as clay, you will eventually find that over time, it has all been removed. You need clay. Much of your building requires it. 

To Elf: I do sympathize with your situation though. :-(

Edited by Audrel

+1 and also we need a way to extract clay from dirt to balance it

• Like 1

Allow us to remove clay and create more clay.

If there is only one option, it opens doors to griefing.

• Like 3

no there is not much clay anyway... and option to turn public clay spot into dirt is just bad... same for tar...   that need to be as is it... but fix for leveling and flattening to rise it out of water is needed....

no there is not much clay anyway... and option to turn public clay spot into dirt is just bad... same for tar...   that need to be as is it... but fix for leveling and flattening to rise it out of water is needed....

There is more than plenty on Xanadu but not everyone lives on Xanadu. It can be very hard to find for new players on Release (as I recall quite handily). It's a short hop from spawn to clay a year and a half later but at the time, it was a trek of epic proportions fraught with danger and peril.

-1 sorry but as Silakka said - griefing could be an issue here

Make a way to both create or remove a clay tile and i am 100% for it.

How about a mayor of a deed option to remove clay tiles, or convert them to say dirt?

Possible with a long cool down, like a week or something.

Too easy for a few griefers to remove most clay from servers. would force you to deed over clay, and inland deeds would suffer.  No thanks.

+1 to a way to add & remove it. Clay is a menace and the newer servers are absolutely littered with vast fields of it.

5c per tile, pay a GM to make it dirt.

10c to make dirt clay.

Rather they have another floor type just for clay, and peat.

thanks for your thoughts, i guess i was shot down =)

as coastis said clay really is a menance on the new servers.

Best suggestion would be that if clay was on deed you could build on top of it.  we already have floors so it wouldtnt be a huge problem....besides slow movement

Edited by Killroth

+1 to throwing floorboards over clay and peat like how one rids themselves of marsh.

I understand the do not allow players to deed and remove resorces that are so needed.  And that was a big issue on the old servers however not a problem on Xanadu as its overloaded with clay.  However still a player could remove clay from an area and make it hard on others to get it.  So there is two way this might be made more acceptable.

!.  Only allow a set % of clay in any conected clay field to be changed.

2.  Make a way to convert say swamp to clay and clay to swamp.  (then the clay could be used or the swamp converted to dirt.   (not uncomon for clay areas to have a small amount of silty soil on top of it in a marsh (swamp))

Just a thought

I made a suggestion of this sort few years back and continue to comment upon it in this way. Make clay creatable in the same way as sand (or dirt). That is, dig one clay, drop on dirt, create clay. Dig one sand (or dirt), drop on clay, create sand. Digging clay would then lower it in the same way as digging sand (or dirt) lowers the ground level.

If clay were able to be *created* and *removed* on this basis, there would be no shortage of clay and it could be removed from all undesirable areas. Players could create their own clay pit on deed or off.

Since there is no shortage of sand, there is no chance of clay to become unobtainable as well. Once a person has a few clay stored in a bin they can give some to neighbors freely. No more deeded over controlled "rare" clay resources. No more clay areas blocking normal terraforming and paving.

Why the Dev's have not resorted to this process long ago eludes me. The same process should also be applied to tar and peat so these areas can be transformed as desired. Just makes too much sense to be implemented, I guess.

*shrugs*

=Ayes=

+1 and not only floor boards please, just a way to recreate it or appear randomly.

Perhaps random spawning (RARE!) on dirt tiles under water level?

• Like 1

You know it occurred to me. Why not just make clay tiles work like lawn? You'll only be able to destroy them on deed. And a priest should be able to spawn them (and same for tar and peat too edit: and moss I really wanna create mosd)

Edited by Jibberish

personally im rather miffed that you can't autolevel excavate like you can with sand.
but i digress

+1

It's open to abuse, unless there was a way of changing dirt to clay