Sign in to follow this  
Thorakkanath

Unique Identification of livestock (cows/bulls and bisons)

We all take advantage (rightfully so) of the unique name identification of bred horses in this game but what about cows/bulls and bisons?

I do not ask for individual names, all I ask is for SOME sort of unique identification (like a eartag that you can craft out of wood or metal where you can write something on it and attach it with say, a branding iron or some other tool (maybe a new tool as well?)) to uniquely identify them and show what is written on the tag when you examine them:

This bull/cow/calf/bison was tagged and belongs to the settlement of <settlement name>. The tag reads: "message"

Why?

Well say you want to breed some good traited bisons: you mate an aged fat bison with an adolescent fat bison and you get a young bison as a result. As long as you have just one pair all is good as you can sepatate the pair from the offsprings. But in order for the offspring to be able to breed you need a second pair. How will you know which offspring came from which pair? Theres no way (unless you make countless pens) to prevent inbreeding once you get more livestock. Same goes for cows (although less important but why not show some love to the bowine driven cart?) and even first gen horses!

It might not be very simple to implement, or it is - but it is really sad not to be able to do something as simple as tell which animal is which. My implementation suggestion (the tag) can be replaced with other ideas, but the scope remains the same.

Hope you consider this,

Best,

Thor

Edited by Thorakkanath
  • Like 10

Why don't you use granger?

Granger has no way to identify animals that are named with non-unique names...

+1 to the suggestion.

+1

Just give them random names though - no reason not to I dont think? Its not that complicated to name them, its not like they got a programmer there making up names for each foal ever born. They just write a list of possible names and some computer program randomizes it. It should be simple enough. But I got the impression Rolf doesnt like animal hoarding - so he might not want to make breeding any easier for us. But I would love to see it happen.

It's not that hard to copy and paste code from horses to other animals, then give each type their own name list to choose from.  I say go for it. Cause they should have some kind of identification too.

Oh I can't wait to see the names for bison and cows.

Old fat Beefychunk

Young fat Tinychurch

Chunkchunk

+1

• Like 2

Well I suggested an eartag or so because it's more realistic and it would add a level of difficulty (you would actually need to create them, write on them and attach them to animals etc.) but like I said, anything that will resolve the current issue can work :)

• Like 2

+1

Tired of getting Bison/Cows with bad traits because it's a PITA to know which Old fat bison is family. Without having to expend extensive deed space for individual pens.

Edit: Those giving -1's, what's your reasoning?

Edited by Karthannar

+1 for a crafted item, perhaps a couple of varieties of them? Great idea.

+1

If coding in names is too hard just give us an inventory item we can equip to the animal without having to tame.

Super idea to give alternatives to names like the name tags.  Would be nice if unicorns were included as well with the solution.

+ 1  This could work for those wanting to name their pets too.

Good idea and would be most helpful !

Oh I can't wait to see the names for bison and cows.

Old fat Beefychunk

Young fat Tinychurch

Chunkchunk

+1

Only if I get to breed a wolf called MoonMoon.

But that aside it would be nice to have some way to identify these animals. They already have an ID some where in a database.