Sign in to follow this  
thelastwaltz

Opt out of winter textures

Why not allow users to optionally specify which season of texture pack they would like to see, overriding the current season's default texture pack?

• Like 3

Probably because this would be a client setting, thus making it available to all players, and it could give a visibility advantage to one side or another in certain situations.

Probably because this would be a client setting, thus making it available to all players, and it could give a visibility advantage to one side or another in certain situations.

That's already an issue with ground detail level and tree models being optional client settings though

Edited by thelastwaltz
  • Like 1

Not as much. The tree model thing verges on illegal conversation, as long ago players used to use illegal methods of shrinking trees beyond the normal client settings. It got really bad when mass bannings happened, especially to people who didn't actually break the rules, but they shared their accounts with those who did. As far as ground detail level, it really only makes it harder to see items that are very close to you and very small. After a certain distance, grass and such is no longer rendered, so items can be seen, and it only block smaller objects and creatures on the ground. The only real obstruction to PvP is the fact that grass blocks vision of arrows that have been shot, but this really isn't that big of a deal. Yes, it also blocks the corpses of small creatures, but only those about the size of a wild cat or smaller, none of which are ever used in real PvP engagements.

Level of detail and the option of removing details completely are 2 different things.  -1 to this idea, get used to winter.

Actually, I prefer winter textures because it makes most creatures and objects (arrows) much easier to see.

Actually, I prefer winter textures because it makes most creatures and objects (arrows) much easier to see.

I agree, I hunt during winter because I keep my shine off at all times (I have eye problems.)

People need to stop complaining every ingame winter about a texture change, if we implement all the textures (autumn, summer, spring) people are going to find a reason to scream about why their trees are orange in autumn and they should opt out of it because it ruins the experience because 'pretty'

-1, deal with it. Take a step outside in a snowy place in real life, its just as blinding.

• Like 1

Allow winter to be fall (No advantage, infact massive disadvantage) Problem solved.

I agree, I hunt during winter because I keep my shine off at all times (I have eye problems.)

People need to stop complaining every ingame winter about a texture change, if we implement all the textures (autumn, summer, spring) people are going to find a reason to scream about why their trees are orange in autumn and they should opt out of it because it ruins the experience because 'pretty'

-1, deal with it. Take a step outside in a snowy place in real life, its just as blinding.

I dont see a problem with being able to select any texture pack, including winter if you like. A portion of this thread seems to be bent on some sort of collective suffering backed with flaky arguments trying to differentiate it from the slew of other client settings

• Like 1

Inb4 everyone on Epic uses only steel plate and iron weapons with white horses and backup unicorns

When we can dye equipped items, everyone will grind natural substances and mining to make 90ql white dye for every piece of equipment they own

When this happens, everyone using the fall textures will have an advantage.

Inb4 everyone on Epic uses only steel plate and iron weapons with white horses and backup unicorns

When we can dye equipped items, everyone will grind natural substances and mining to make 90ql white dye for every piece of equipment they own

Well, since you're being THAT way.....

Pvp is dead anyway, so who cares.  B)

Who cares? Use fall textures when you are on pvp servers or dont, restarting the client takes 30 seconds max.

Who cares? Use fall textures when you are on pvp servers or dont, restarting the client takes 30 seconds max.

Your assumptions are cancer.

Takes me longer, takes other even longer. You are being an eliteist brat that doesnt want to look at some white textures because they 'ruin the game' for less then 2 weeks.

Deal with it, you are basically being a crybaby at this point.

It brings immersion to the game, gives you times to do things you usually cant do. (Hunting especially.) and a "I dont hunt though so it doesnt matter." Doesnt mean you can opt out of hunting too >_>

It makes the game more difficulty, and not even by a ton, woopie, you forgot where your mine was, adventure time! look for it in the snow covered rock. :) maybe you'll find another, and it'll have a troll in it, have fun, thats the game.

Well, since you're being THAT way.....

Pvp is dead anyway, so who cares.  B)

:huh: ...

Your assumptions are cancer.

Takes me longer, takes other even longer. You are being an eliteist brat that doesnt want to look at some white textures because they 'ruin the game' for less then 2 weeks.

Deal with it, you are basically being a crybaby at this point.

It brings immersion to the game, gives you times to do things you usually cant do. (Hunting especially.) and a "I dont hunt though so it doesnt matter." Doesnt mean you can opt out of hunting too >_>

It makes the game more difficulty, and not even by a ton, woopie, you forgot where your mine was, adventure time! look for it in the snow covered rock. :) maybe you'll find another, and it'll have a troll in it, have fun, thats the game.

So for arguments against my idea we have: I am cancer, I am an eliteist brat, I am a crybaby, and "my immersion"

I hunt plenty in wurm, the seasons changing does not have much of an effect on it save for perhaps making the entire concept of wurm offputting for 2 weeks, espeically during the real life winter months. Navagation in any area you are familiar with is not majorly impacted by the seasonal textures either.

Edited by thelastwaltz

while I think the winter textures really need a redo - I don't think opting out should be it

• Like 1

-1 to being to able to select which parts of wurm you want to take part in

You suggest the option to opt out of winter textures, but you don't say why. So far I only see you (the OP) arguing with others as to why they (the posters) think it's a bad idea.

If an option to 'opt out ' or change a season to one you like is brought in, what's to stop someone then bringing up the following :

a - Bob doesn't like mountains, in fact he lives on flat land, so wants an option to 'opt out' of seeing any mountains anywhere so the land is perfectly flat

b -  John doesn't like the dark, in fact he's so scared of the dark he sleeps with all his house lights on. He wants an option so that it's always light wherever he goes - he wants to 'opt out' of the darkness.

c -  Jim doesn't like travelling, he hates the amount of time it takes. He wants an option to allow instant teteport to anywhere he wishes to go - he wants to 'opt out' of travelling around.

Just joke examples, yes, but the idea behind allowing anyone to completely 'opt out' of a something that is an intrinsic part of the game is just wrong in my opinion.

Edited by Bullbrand

-1 to being to able to select which parts of wurm you want to take part in

You suggest the option to opt out of winter textures, but you don't say why. So far I only see you (the OP) arguing with others as to why they (the posters) think it's a bad idea.

If an option to 'opt out ' or change a season to one you like is brought in, what's to stop someone then bringing up the following :

a - Bob doesn't like mountains, in fact he lives on flat land, so wants an option to 'opt out' of seeing any mountains anywhere so the land is perfectly flat

b -  John doesn't like the dark, in fact he's so scared of the dark he sleeps with all his house lights on. He wants an option so that it's always light wherever he goes - he wants to 'opt out' of the darkness.

c -  Jim doesn't like travelling, he hates the amount of time it takes. He wants an option to allow instant teteport to anywhere he wishes to go - he wants to 'opt out' of travelling around.

Just joke examples, yes, but the idea behind allowing anyone to completely 'opt out' of a something that is an intrinsic part of the game is just wrong in my opinion.

Seasonal texture pack changes used to be something that never had to be endured, then they were endured during the real life winter months, then they were put on an automatic timer to grace us with their prescence continuously throughout the year. Unlike the dark, mountains, and traveling, this feature was not originally part of the game, and unlike the dark, mountains, and traveling, it adds nothing to the gameplay save for "immersion" and to make the game less tolerable to play due to being blinded by white textures on everything, I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to grasp. The only thing that changes are the white textures, crops still grow and the water doesn't freeze. You don't get cold and animals dont go into hibernation, it is not an additional "simulation" of winter, it is an excuse to add the fascade of dynamic change to the game while doing nothing but forcing ugly texture pack changes.

Edited by thelastwaltz

I'll agree that the winter textures need some work, we don't really need to get snow blind when playing a game.  But opting out of winter is not the right way to deal with the textures.