Sign in to follow this  
Komunalac

Drop - On ground - optional

+1. No more drop-down menus. Just move it further from the common choices. I bet no one misclicks emotes when they're trying to dig -- because it's at the bottom of the list. Put drop, maybe even take, below "Emotes"?

you can pick up ANYTHING from the ocean bed no matter how deep, you just have to be ontop of it.

Though it is time consuming, and very frustrating to do... especially in high winds. Or so I have found

I could see a sub-menu for pour, where you can't get back the thing you made a mistake on, but for drop, which you do all day long? That's too much punishment for something that's easy to remedy. Just pick it back up, or drop some grass on it to make a container and pick it up from there. The Animals > Unhitch thing made sense because of how bison run off insanely as soon as they're loose. Sub-menus should be a necessary evil, not added for every single thing. Is there a conscious effort to make this game as tedious as possible? It makes me think of this video:

http://www.cracked.com/video_18218_if-starcraft-was-even-more-complicated.html

Also, sometimes I need to Drop in an emergency, such as when I'm encumbered from carrying a bunch of FSBs and a mob with a troll attacks. Terraforming ALREADY takes forever, now I have a submenu?

Edited by LorraineJ
  • Like 1

I vote for an option in the settings to enable / disable drop option for those that do not keybind everything.

The new drop submenu is very obnoxious.  This is a learning curve thing but I constantly find myself accidently not dropping something then having to go back realizing I have not yet dropped the item I intended to drop.  +1 to optional submenus.

EDIT - And yes I am a forum lurker that finally made an account just to post here because I was so annoyed.

Edited by Toma

Drop is already keybindable, so they just need to make sure it's bound to a key by default, then they don't need to do anything about the sub-menu and can just leave that as is.

I don't think making one thing optional is the way to go, if we're doing that then why not make the entire menu customizable? The order in the menu would still be scrambled as it is now (their anti-bot feature), but you'd be able to determine for yourself what goes in the first menu, in a sub-menu or in a sub-sub-menu, etc. So give players a list of menu commands and allow them to organize those commands in the settings. Then everybody can tweak it to the way they like it.

I don't think making one thing optional is the way to go,

Not all actions are same and as such you can't treat them all in the same way.

I'd rather have more customisability in rclick menus. For example, you can remove notarget, examine, etc. from there. I want the ability to just straight up toggle off drop, pour, that kind of thing. We have keybinds for them anyways

• Like 1

How about a drop into a pile option to go along with it.

• Like 1

Not all actions are same and as such you can't treat them all in the same way.

I don't see why you can't treat them all the same and give the player the ability to determine for himself how all the actions are nested in the menu. They are all the same if you considering each of them as a button at a certain depth in the menu. You need to look at them from a more abstract point of view ;)

Everybody has different preferences, some would like to have the meditation abilities in a sub-menu (no more clicking enchant by accident), while some want the drop ability in a sub-menu (no more dropping items by accident, when you are for example on a boat and pretty much can't see what's below you), while others don't want those in a sub-menu. The only way to satisfy everybody is to make it customizable. I don't think it's that strange, we can after all already customize other parts of the interface, like the key-binds. This would just take it a step further.

Edited by Ecrir

I don't see why you can't treat them all the same and give the player the ability to determine for himself how all the actions are nested in the menu. They are all the same if you considering each of them as a button at a certain depth in the menu. You need to look at them from a more abstract point of view ;)

Everybody has different preferences, some would like to have the meditation abilities in a sub-menu (no more clicking enchant by accident), while some want the drop ability in a sub-menu (no more dropping items by accident, when you are for example on a boat and pretty much can't see what's below you), while others don't want those in a sub-menu. The only way to satisfy everybody is to make it customizable. I don't think it's that strange, we can after all already customize other parts of the interface, like the key-binds. This would just take it a step further.

You basically repeated what I said in my first post but in "wall of unnecessary complicated text" mode :).

Long story short - as long as its optional = all happy. (even if you look from your "abstract point of view  ;)")

+1

While some of the recent menu changes have been welcome this one is just annoy and not really needed. I'm not going to keybind drop because THEN it would be to easy to drop something by accident.  

Drop has a keybind btw. It's a million times easier than using a rclick menu and if you set it to something like shift+t you won't be hitting it accidentally.

Rightclick is a failsafe in itself...

How about instead of a toggle like so many people keep suggesting(you will start to clutter the config file with all those options sooner or later) why not revert it back for now while working on a way for people to customize menu's themselves?

A few years ago someone made a bunch of pictures and gifs of a nice way of doing it which was an option you click while ingame(with the ingame menu that can be easily added) that would show the basic menu's like the inventory or right click menu and so forth and showed of the ability to move what you want around.

Now if we where able to create sub menu's on our own then it would allow people to customize it to their liking then stuff like this wont be an issue ever again as hey you dont like the drop option to be on right click? well just move it into a submenu.

And easiest way to store that info is just in the player profile alongside the other configs seems like something so much better then this obsession that has started recently about adding everything into new sub menu's

• Like 1

Optional is good, But I would prefer to see a check put into the code that makes sure the entire menu is displayed before it allows you to click. This would reduce the rediculous amounts of submenus that we've been getting lately. One old problem is that if you go to drink water and click right away, The lag goes away and you've just hit pour.  So why not add some sort of check that sees whether the entire menu is displayed before allowing you to click. then it would be your fault for not paying attention, Rather than a laggy menu system.

• Like 4

+1 get rid of the drop submenu. Do i want to drop my meditation rug? Come on.

Edited by Morrowen
  • Like 1

Optional is good, But I would prefer to see a check put into the code that makes sure the entire menu is displayed before it allows you to click. This would reduce the rediculous amounts of submenus that we've been getting lately. One old problem is that if you go to drink water and click right away, The lag goes away and you've just hit pour.  So why not add some sort of check that sees whether the entire menu is displayed before allowing you to click. then it would be your fault for not paying attention, Rather than a laggy menu system.

This, a million times this.  We have always had this problem with the menu and the "fix" is to always make another submenu.  It is a poor patch to keep making submenus instead of correcting the real problem.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 1

What I think is silly about this whole drop thing is that on PVE servers, if you drop something, no one but your friends can pick up the dropped item as long as you haven't walked 20 or so tiles away from the item.

Anyone who's accidentally dropped something could pick it back up, anxiety free, because no one (outside of their friends) could have taken the item anyway. If you're doing things that might cause you to drop things while you're on the move, retrace your steps and recover the lost item. If it happens often, perhaps you should start looking into your attentiveness to your game play.

(I've dropped items in the deep ocean before, when using my spyglass while on the move in a boat. I right clicked the item in my inventory and wanted to choose "stop" to stop spying, but instead have mistakenly chosen "drop". So, of course, I moored my boat, jumped out, and swam back to the tile to retrieve my item. Even after having done that a few times in my wurm career, I still oppose this drop submenu and think it was an unnecessary change.)

I'm still annoyed by how Unhitch is in a submenu now. I'm sure that a lot of people had problems with accidentally unhitching animals from carts, but I wasn't one of them so for me that submenu is an annoyance. The same goes for the bashing being in a submenu - It has a timer, so even if you misclick it you'll have time to fix it before the timer is up. At the very least make it so that the submenus are optional. There is already existing functionalty for customizing the menus (it is for example already possible to remove certain actions from them) so this shouldn't take a long time to implement.

The problem here is menu lag, the solution should not be to add extra clicking in the menus. My immediate thought was that what could be done to counteract problems caused by the menu lag would be to make the menu unclickable until all elements have loaded - This is doable in Java and no wheels would have to be invented.

• Like 1

Drop - Sub-menu = pain in the ass.

I click drop and move, then I realize I have still the darn stuff in my inventory. 

• Like 1