Sign in to follow this  
Shadz

Tone down winter (please)

+1, I find the snow a little excessive.

I think it would also be nice to see a little variation in the amount of snow you get depending on where you are, at the very least taking into account how far above water level an area is. Probably wont happen, but just an idea :P

I am going to get a little wordy here, but I am being serious, so bear with me. And don't worry, I'll be more civil this time (though I don't apologize for my last post, I meant every word).

Real snow is bright, but snow blindness is not actually caused by brightness alone, it is caused by reflected ultraviolet light which is just a part of the brightness you are looking at. Computer monitors do not give off ultraviolet light, so snow blindness is not actually possible from Wurm. This also applies to looking at the sun, computers cannot emulate a sun, and really don't want to.

I personally have never gotten a headache playing Wurm during the winter, it is only excessively bright during the transition from a dark area to snow. If you transition a lot during a short span of time (I'm talking several times a minute), I can see how this would become problematic.

However, if you are not transitioning multiple times per minute, and are simply getting a headache from the brightness alone, this may be an actual physical problem on your end. You may be using your computer in too dark an area, staring at a monitor in an otherwise dark room will cause eye strain. Wurm being bright just accelerates this, but it is not Wurm's fault.

If you are not repeatedly transitioning, and your computer is not in a dark room, and you are still getting a headache, you may have actual problems with your eyes as they should be able to adjust. Again, this is not Wurm's fault, and you should probably go to an optometrist.

Eye wear has been suggested in a couple recent topics, and I think snow goggles or shaded lenses is a reasonable suggestion along with monocles or eye patches or whatever else people want to stick over their eyes. Snow goggles could affect only the terrain brightness, so all the menus stay the same, they could also code them to be automatically repositioned (pulled up to the forehead) when entering a cave.

First your whole rant was based off a misconception so meaning every word on you misreading and claiming to not apologize for it because you meant it is kinda a losing topic - as its obvious it was a joke everyone read it as a joke it is your problem not mine I've been a gamer to long to allow attempted flames to even phase me but your aggressive tendency's and inability to read jokes/sarcasm on several other topics you should work on as this seems to be a ongoing thing

also many people maintain 2 characters for priests and workers - priest is normally outside (except mag) and other char mining or working inside so the light dark of switching between them while duel logging is massive head ache of the snow blind to dark

however I don't think people should need to build and maintain glasses just to stop the game being to bright - I have seen dozens if not hundreds of magnificent snow worlds in games and only a few had this problem - most of which toned it down on player requests - and I play in a well lit room do not wear/need glasses in RL and while you may never have had a head ache it is not about you its about the people who are having the issue - and while only a few are talking about it here I've heard many complaints on it from new and old alike - so a simple filter toggle would fix this

Edited by Forgedrake

I've played games at 16 hours a day when I was 12-16 almost every single day, and since then 6+ hours a day, every day. I've not once had a issue with colors or brightness levels until the snow in wurm, which gives me a headache (wether that's from the snow itself, or through me hating it so much, /shrug, the pains real enough lol)

I've had issues with a few games animation wise and blurs getting to me until I got use to them, and my screen is brighter then it should be (I like seeing light over dark) but I don't have a issue with any of the 6 MMO's I play, 5-6 of the games I buy a month to play, or any other game I've had in my past years. Wurm in general doesn't give me a issue, but that snow, without bloom on may I add, is bright, annoying, ugly, and in the end if I play during winter, gives me a headache after a hour play. (Note; in most cases my main character is in the forest foraging/Botanizing/forestry, while two others are doing other things (most cases imping, in rarer cases mining). So I'm not really switching back and forth to it either.

However, to add into it, it may not be completely wurms fault. When I was younger I had issues with being in to much sunlight (or overly bright things) which caused my one eye start freaking out, and I wouldn't be able to look straight with it. But after realizing the reason, and not going out so much, I've not had that problem since, but that "could" be connected, but I'm no expert In that case.

What ever the reason, it does give me a headache eventually, and I don't like having it.

Edited by Druidnature

I think the snow is a very unique aspect of Wurm and, as ugly as it can be at times, I get a little sad when its gone.

Half jokingly and half seriously, let us craft sunglasses or some tinted headgear that lowers brightness of environment while worn.

21 minutes ago, Steveleeb said:

bump

GJ necroing a 2 year old topic. 

-1, with your monitor properly adjusted, it looks fine.

Edited by Budzilla403
  • Like 1

-1  The snow is one of the features I really like about this game!

Is this flood of necrobumps spamming over? Is it safe to get out from my snowbank?

:ph34r:

• Like 3

I'd like to join in on this topic, but I'm not sympathetic to the motion. I actually enjoy winter in Wurm :), and wish it would last longer. I haven't noticed an issue with the snow being too bright B), and haven't adjusted my settings for brightness/darkness issues. Having grown up in an area with actual winters and snow, I find the season in Wurm pretty realistic, except for the lack of ice on the water (which should be added, especially over shallow areas and along coastlines). When it snows, the snow generally does have a tendency to cover everything, and does make it difficult to determine boundary lines on the ground, it's just the way it is. Someone suggested we be given the ability to clean snow from roadways, and I think that would add an extra level of realism, if it's possible to do in Wurm. As far as the snow's brightness is concerned, it is pretty realistic for the snow to be very bright when the sun is out and the sky is cloudless, but that should be the only time or reason it's very bright, the brightness should definitely be muted when there are clouds in the sky (which should also be more often during the winter season). I would even like to see traction effects on snow added. After all, the stuff can be pretty slippery.

• Like 1

Theres this stupid setting.

Its called bloom.

Suggestion: remove bloom to improve winter.

Improve winter. Do not nerf

If winter must be nerfed, remove domain restriction for erupt. Lava and sand my brothers, or snow... your choice.

Hello :)

We really like winter pretty much as it is, its very beautiful.

What we would like to change a little is to be able to tell rock tiles from grass in winter a little better, other than that, its all good :)

Valiance and Kaylie.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Klaa said:

People still play with bloom on?

People play without it?

Ive pretty much never adjusted my gfx settings aside from a high/low setting switch depending on if I've got one or 10 accts running.

Snow in Wurm, while not always the most convenient thing, is fairly decent as is.

I would like improved seasons in general.

Something like evolving conditions based on prevailant weather patterns.

Wet/dry, dirty/clean etc.