Sign in to follow this  
AnarchistRise

Minimum / Maximum Computer Specs

I have been searching for a while now, And am having trouble finding any sort of documentation regarding what the "Minimum Computer Specs" For Wurm would be. 

I was also looking for examples of High end setups which where able to preform very Smoothly, especially ones that are capable of running multiple clients.

Also, if a knowledgeable player or Dev was able to recommend which brand of graphics card is better to use with Wurm, that would be great!

I can run multiple clients at max settings, only getting lag in MASSIVE cities.

Specs:

MOBO: Asus M5A88-V EVO

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Overclocked to 4.4ghz  -  Core Parking Disabled.

COOLER: Seidon 120M CoolerMaster Liquid

Cooling + 4 Case fans: 1 front[in], 2 side[in], 1 top[out]

RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance Gaming Memory 1600Mhz

GPU: Radeon HD7870 Asus Direct CU II

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 64GB

PSU: 600w dont know the make...

CASE: Zalman Z9 Plus

O.S: Windows 7 64-bit

Edited by Nicrolis

One tends to get by with either of the major gfx card gpu manufacturers. Using an onboard gfx integrated with the mobo doesn't work as well, you want a dedicated card.

Wurm uses alot of OpenGL (in contrast with Microsoft's product), which personally Nvidia supports best with their hardware and drivers so far.

I have no problems with my AMD cards (dual 7950s) and wurm. Just get a good up to date graphics card, good amount of desktop ram and solid CPU. You'll be fine. Don't skimp on your Internet either. If your paying for hamsters don't expect greyhounds. I can push 7~ clients all playable. While streaming I can do 5. It only kicks me in the rear when traveling with all accounts logged in. I have to relog all them to clear the memory leakage.

I have a laptop, (working on my desktop) and things run fine for me, had up to 3 clients running with no issues

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.130801-1934)System Model: HP EliteBook 8570w
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA Quadro K2000M 
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I agree with Klaa. In my experience, AMD cards drivers can't handle OpenGL properly most of the time, though Ruger seems fine with it. I'm using old GTS450 and Core Quad Q6600, 4gb of DDR2 ram memory. And I'm easily handling 3 characters at once. I've yet to try to get more running.

Edited by Samool

I can but lay my fairly low specs and experience with it on the table as well.

2.4GHz Triple-Core CPU (AMD Phenom X3 8750)

8GB RAM (2x2GB Corsair, don't remember the model, amd 2x2GB low value RAM I chugged in after getting them for free)

NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti manufactured by ZOTAC

Running on x64 Windows 7 Professional with Java 8

Two 1280x1024 5:4 monitors (Acer V193)

I can run one client on very high settings easily, but when one wants to be more engaged with Wurm, you need to play 2 characters, maybe more. I do run up to 4 clients sometimes, most often 3.

It does not run as smooth with 3-4 clients as I'd like it to, but it's playable. It runs very well with 2 clients.

My two main characters usually run in 1280x720 windows with high settings, though no anti-aliasing or other fancy stuff. I do not put that much value in graphic fidelity, so that's a point of view for you.

My priest, and non-prem alt run in 800x600 windows with much lower settings. I found that having distant terrain enabled on 2 or more clients, seemed to cause considerable stuttering. So I just turn that off on all.

The bottleneck in my setup is definitely the CPU. Standing around and crafting/imping is just fine, using about 50% of the core it's running on, walking around does require considerably more CPU and spikes to 33% (full core), so it does stutter when running 3 or 4 clients.

The GPU works great, and I do underclock it by 50%, cutting the clock speeds for the GPU, shader, and memory clock in half. For a reason unrelated to Wurm though.

I used to have a GTX260 in this PC, but ever since I cleanly re-installed Windows and a new NVidia driver with the GTX550 Ti, the card just heats up in almost any game to its working temperature at 95-99°C, max spec temperature is 110°C. It didn't do that before, if it did not need to "work" that hard, and just sat at most at 85°C or less. And I just don't want it to sit just below 100°C for several hours at a time.

From my CPU usage observation, I do believe that higher CPU speeds is better than more cores, as Wurm does not seem to utilise threading and multi-core CPUs that much for any single instance of Wurm that is running. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

The minimum specs in 2014 are most probably considered to be very low for a desktop PC. So, nothing crazy like a GTX Titan or Quadro are really required for Wurm xD

I don't know about AMD, I ditched them long ago after being severly and repeatedly disappointed, and I will not buy any AMD GPU again, ever.

Edited by Ulviirala
  • Like 1

My fx-4100 (quad core with 2 logical cores) does seem to be utilized on every core. People say "AMD cores never park" but when I used an unpark application i found 1 core parked. I unparked it and instantly i was using all 4 "cores"

Hm yes, it's probably incredibly hard to set minimum, or recommended specs. My Phenom X3 does not support things like core parking, and it does not spread the CPU load over its cores on the hardware level, like the newer ones can to some degree(?).

Nobody knows how to compare CPU and GPU models anymore anyway. But with "nobody" I mean people who do not constantly read up on all that stuff (anymore).

I used to... when I was like 16 through 22 years old, but that's been a while now lol :) I only read up if I want to upgrade or build a new PC.

And all the changes in naming conventions over the years did not make it easier.

I agree  :P Im still waiting on a friend who is trying out the new "CPU+GPU" combo that amd is doing. I heard they work decently for wurm. if i get confirmation id suggest those, as they are pretty cheap.

Edited by Nicrolis

I would set minimum specs on the video card to the nvidia geforce 8400gs. 2.4 gig single core cpu. with one gig of ram. But this also means glsl shaders need to be off, As well as some of the extra sounds. And set everything to minimum settings.

I use an older dual core to play on,  And can run three clients, But I have no reason to do that on one screen. So I use an old single core for my preists, Since they don't move around a lot anyway.

2.67 ghz  i7 overclocked to 3.1ghz

12 gb ram

SSD

Sapphire ATI 290x on 2 monitors

Can run 2 clients without any problem on high settings - can get up to 6 running lower settings but framerate is pretty low as well

Edited by Elen

Can run 2 clients on max* settings (both on dual 1920x1080p screens) and get 30fps+ on both unless in very laggy places. Alternatively, I can run a single client on max* settings and 3-4 others on minimum settings and get 30fps+ from all.

*I say maximum but a small number of things are off (e.g. bloom & texture sizes slightly reduced.)

Specs:
MSI H87-G43 Mobo (midrange mobo & chipset from good brand)
Intel i5-4430 @ 3.00GHz (midrange processor)
8GB Ram @ 1600MHz (shouldn't need more than 8GB for Wurm IMO, also higher RAM clock speeds are worth it)
Nvidia 660Ti GPU, Asus aftermarket upgrades (Asus aftermarket fans & overclocking keep it very cool and well performing)
800w Corsair PSU (Pricey but worth it for component life IMO, not underspecced)
1TB HDD (Wurm barely needs a GB of space so a big HDD isn't worth it.)
Windows 8 64-bit (Running 64-bit Java too, makes a BIG difference to stability)

Additionally:
"A few" good quality, large case fans
Coolermaster case, they're always very well designed for airflow and component mounting
"A very big" good quality CPU heatsink

My PC cost me £800 about a year ago (including OS.) I do a complete OS re-install and HDD wipe once per year to keep it lean. Wurm is easy to run.

In contrast, my old computer was running an intel Core 2 Duo @2GHz with 4gb ram and an Nvidia 8800 GT card, 64bit on Win7. It could run one Wurm client on medium settings with a priest or two on minimum.

min ive ran wurm w/ after 1.0 update was a pentinum dual core e2200, 4gigs of 667mhz ddr2, and a nV 260

~20fps in a crowded, built up village w/ lots of lights, building and dirt walls, ~40 in the middle of the woods w/ no one in local

most important when looking for wurm preformance is a decent cpu, good core 2 duos will work somewhat well w/ 1-2 clients

the ~2 year old athlon x4 750k(~80usd) that i had would get me average of 120fps in the middle of the woods, ~60 in a big village(mid-high settings)

easily ran up to 5 clients on low settings

4gbs of ram is enough for 2 clients fairly comfortably, any more and, along w/ system stuff, and browers and youll start to run high usage (80+%)

8gbs more than enough unless you go crazy with the number of clients you run

gpu isnt particularly important for wurm, so long as it isnt a intel/motherboard intergrated gpu your fine

any card better than a 260 prolly wont get more than 60% usage(thats a pretty generous estimate)

my 550 ti never really went above 50% usage

id probably set the min specs somewhere around-

Core 2 duo e8400/phenom II x2 560

4gigs of ddr2 667

8600 gt/radeon 3650

recommended

athlon x4 750k/pentium g3220

8gigs of ddr3 1066

nV 260/radeon 5570

something like that

• Like 1

Wurm runs sort of "eh" with my older system:

Windows XP

MSI (Never again) motherboard

AMD 64 x2 4200+

2gb of ram

nVidia 8400 (Don't remember what version/manufacturer exactly, it failed in such a spectacular way that it involved a fire extinguisher.)

I can run multiple clients with my newer system fine:

Windows 7

Asus motherboard

AMD FX-6300

8qb of ram

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 (1gb)

Edited by Karthannar

You can Wurm pretty well with a moderate PC unless you PVP... then you'll lag with any system :/

Edited by Brunwulf

Bumping this up with a question. I hope that’s ok.

I currently run a desktop to play Wurm, but want to get a basic laptop so that I can be lazy at times and play in bed or on the couch. Budget is not huge. 

Can anyone advise as to whether a dell e5550 running Windows 10 with intel core i5 (2.70ghz), an intel HD 5500 graphics card, and 4gb of ram will allow one to play Wurm at low to mid level graphics settings and tolerable FPS?

Thank you. 

Edited by belacane

2 hours ago, belacane said:

Bumping this up with a question. I hope that’s ok.

I currently run a desktop to play Wurm, but want to get a basic laptop so that I can be lazy at times and play in bed or on the couch. Budget is not huge. 

Can anyone advise as to whether a dell e5550 running Windows 10 with intel core i5 (2.70ghz), an intel HD 5500 graphics card, and 4gb of ram will allow one to play Wurm at low to mid level graphics settings and tolerable FPS?

Thank you. 

it wont. it does not really matter what cpu you are running, as long as you have atleast 4GB og RAM you are good, however intel HD graphics on any laptop will give you max 5 fps even at lowest settings so it will be almost impossible to play, even crafting statically will be laggy as hell. I would reccomend getting a laptop that has a seperate video card, aka GPU. if you can get sort of similar spec laptop with something like NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 video card, you would have more than descent laptop to play wurm. also they are not much more expensive either. hope that helps.

I play on my 1060gt desktop but my newly aquired laptop has Radeon™ R2 Graphics in a 2.5ghz E-series AMD. Stoneyridge architecture very slow.
it's a GPCPU, yours is 200% faster than mine but with the right settings (nothing horribly low) i easily get 21-50fps.. if i turn off GLSL.

There was a time when the CPU mattered far more than the GPU, thankfully optimisations over the last year or two have seized the power of 3d processors.
Intel integrated graphics, was something i avoided when given the choice... that said i've never personally tried it.
disabling GLSL and making sure to select 4 model loading threads (if yours is quad core) will yield the best results.

Edited by Steveleeb

I don't think 4 gigs of ram on Win 10 is going to be that workable, in my opinion. I mean, it would probably work, but I would think it would be very frustrating and would crash a lot.  I also would recommend a dedicated Radeon or NVidia graphics card if you can afford it. 

For whatever it is worth, I have a $100 secondhand laptop I had picked up for travel, I don't really like playing Wurm on it because it is MUCH less comfortable than my desktop, but it does seem to run the game with what are pretty low specs:

Lenovo E440

Intel Core i3-4000M

Intel HD 4600 graphics

8 GB ram 

Win 7

It seems to run WU at about 14-20 FPS. I don't know how much different WO would be, compared to Wurm Unlimited. That's with a LOT of horses and  tons of trees but very few people. I expect anyplace with lots of people is going to get worse, and that general PVP, an impalong or a dragon hunt would be  impossible. I would probably need to relog a lot if I did any serious travelling.  I guess if it were my only choice, it would be better than nothing, but not a system I would recommend. I just personally find laptops-on-your-lap very awkward for playing Wurm, plus it has a pretty small screen.   But ...  hey, it runs the game.  I have not tried it in WO, just WU. I have no idea how different the WO/WU clients are, these days

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

At the (wu)sklotopolis impalong with GLSL off, im getting 10-25fps with 4gb on the laptop i mentioned (yours is faster).
(low to low to medium settings)
Course this is windows home (less clunk) and i've tweaked the hell out of it.
As mentioned it's 25-50fps elsewhere. Tried it with linux, ran faster.
You do need more than 4gb especially with shared memory systems. I am always aware of what the machine is trying to do and u can tell how much it hungers for more RAM.
still, perfectly playable, might even be tolerable for 12 hour sessions when outputted to a bigger screen.

Brash offers fair advice but if you are technically minded and know how to discipline windows 10 you can squeeze quite a decent experience out of minimal hardware. This is Radeon R2 (dual core AMD E9000) i cannot speak for Intel HD.
hPkYZMc.jpg

the max im getting in this scene is 26fps, the lowest 18.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

So, after seeing Steveleeb's post above, I decided to tune the game settings a bit, and disabling GLSL and lowering various graphics bumped me up to a fairly consistent 30-45 fps on the Intel HD 4600. This was NOT in a "people crowded area" like Steveleeb was testing, which is going to be the real test -- although crowded areas might be more CPU dependent, I dunno.   So yeah, it's possible with newer Intel graphics (which have their own historic issues playing Wurm or other games). I'd never "recommend" intel graphics but if you have little choice, I'd say it's really critical to make sure you have the most modern graphical drivers possible, direct from Intel's download center, and not from the laptop maker or from windows update. A lot of the troubleshooting threads in Wurm tech forum, are people struggling to get intel graphics working decently without glitching, especially with the older intel chipsets.  I still would never recommend 4GB with Win10, especially with onboard (shared memory) graphics but Steve shows what is at least possible if you put your mind to it.  I still don't enjoy playing on laptops, personally  😛  

May not be an issue, but take note of the fact both Steve and I are playing on WU rather than WO. May be different, may not be.  Intel seems to have improved both its graphic chipsets and its drivers in recent years, but it is still at a marked disadvantage compared with NVidia and ATI.

20191228114457_1.jpg

edit: actually I lowered resolution to windows resizeable 640x480, removed FPS cap, then maximized the resizeable window, and FPS was suddenly 50-110 but very erratic  and i consider less pleasant than running at the lower-but-steady 30-45. Personally I find with games like Wurm, I am content running at a rather plebian 20-25fps or so, so I would prefer it running steady but at a lower framerate and even capped framerate,  then bouncing up and down every 5-10 seconds. Also capped framerate helps keep laptops from overheating, which is not only very uncomfortable if you are holding it on a lap, but also will affect game performance plus the hardware lifespan. not to mention chewing through any battery life (I almost always have mine plugged into the wall).   I tend to run my windows very "clean" with very minimal background programs/services, though probably not tweaked as hardcore as Steve. You are probably going to have serious issues trying to run additional programs (chat, discord, google, etc) alongside Wurm, if you run on bare minimum specs, especially 4G ram which I still recommend you up to 8G.  Dell however makes a lot of its profits charging minimal for a barebones setup, then padding the costs for upgrades. So that extra 4G might cost a lot more than it should. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2