Sign in to follow this  
whykillme

Add a Captcha to register a forum account

Just for registering, nothing else.

I think theres like 20 messages per day showing up recently that only contain spam by new accounts. 

• Like 6

More forum mods might help too ;)

To me it looks like they're almost always dealt with near instantly. Sometimes I click their profile to ban them, and they are already banned when their profile loads.

• Like 1

Hi all,

As anti spam features get more advanced, so do the bots that bypass these systems.Adding systems such as captcha fail to hold back the influx of bot accounts and only serve to inconvenience real players.

Rest assured, most of these accounts are detected and removed within 5 minutes, and many more are blocked from the application process behind the scenes.

Regards,

Retrograde

• Like 3

I've been using the "report" option a lot these past few days but sometimes they have already been dealt with. I personally hate Capatcha's and I agree that most of the time these are dealt with pretty quickly

I have an idea.. instead using captcha that makes people frustrate (damn that is q or 9?), how about we put questions that is common in the game? Even hint it you can find the answer in wurmpedia. Something like.. how many planks you need to make a wooden house wall?

• Like 4

@Rosedragon - really good idea! :) This would also encourage newbies to use Wurmpedia.

• Like 1

I have an idea.. instead using captcha that makes people frustrate (damn that is q or 9?), how about we put questions that is common in the game? Even hint it you can find the answer in wurmpedia. Something like.. how many planks you need to make a wooden house wall?

That's a thought Rose, but what about those who wish to create their forum account before they start fully playing in game? They couldn't sign up if that course was taken.

That's a thought Rose, but what about those who wish to create their forum account before they start fully playing in game? They couldn't sign up if that course was taken.

You don't need to play the game at all in order to look it up on the WurmPedia.

I think the best solution is: https://mollom.com/

that is like how gmail filter spam.. except once and awhile, you got says.. games news or something you interested to read marked as spam cause the game in question apparently do aggressive marketing that trigger the filter.

Wouldn't work, this would deter a lot of new people interested in the game away, a whole lot, infact.

Good idea if it could work, because bots wouldn't know, but neither would new players. And most won't know to go look at wurmpedia.

To me it looks like they're almost always dealt with near instantly. Sometimes I click their profile to ban them, and they are already banned when their profile loads.

This.

And bots can easily ignore captchas these days.

And these days too there are some captchas that makes want to poke their makers with a fork, in the eyes, several times.

Edited by Alec

Wouldn't work, this would deter a lot of new people interested in the game away, a whole lot, infact.

Good idea if it could work, because bots wouldn't know, but neither would new players. And most won't know to go look at wurmpedia.

Well, you can always add link to Wurmpedia near the question. Players who don't want/don't know how use Wurmpedia or other sources of knowledge will quit in the first few days anyway (most of them wouldn't even build first shelter, I would say).

Edited by Warlander

I'd much rarer have one of those math captchas. Just a simple addition problem that's been blurred to avoid automatic recognition.

It's a virtual arms race, and nothing can really be done about anything other than amateur rebels. You just end up annoying your playerbase more than you give them security. I think the system in place now is coping well, and unless you're a coder with serious skills to volunteer, what you come up with isn't on the same planet as how a hacker thinks. Anything that can be edited can be hacked. Security measures stop users, not hackers. Welcome to virtual reality. The more complex you make it, the bigger the incentive to overcome it.