Sign in to follow this  
roarkindrake

Forges On Ships

Please allow us to have forges on ships for one reason only.................. Xanadu sailing gets boring after a while and smithing makes it worth sailing anyway if you are going to do any smithing.

• Like 3

But you can improve ^_^

the stamina go down fast.. 0 stamna = no skill gain :(

I understand your frustration of sailing around etc and loosing valuable skill gains... Maybe a new boat could be implamented for improving whilst sailing? "Transporter".

• Like 1

+1 but with 1% chance that your boat takes fire and be destroyed :)

• Like 1

-1 to forges

I'm sorry but fire and boats don't mix. Galley fires were a big risk and they had to take lots of precautions even to have the luxury of hot food, which was by no means guarenteed on-board. Forges get much hotter than a small cook's fire.

+1 to smithing imping on boats

Now if there was a magical container of heating, that might be acceptable for keeping your metal hot for imping. I'm not sure if you'd buy it ready-crafted, like a magical chest of preservation, or if you would craft it using dragon butchering parts.

You can imp weapon-smithing spears on boats with carpentry tools

I would guess that creation is disabled on boats because the game doesn't distinguish between items that are dropped on creation and items that go into inventory. That at the moment, you either switch it all on or switch it all off.

+1 to activities while sailing

I would go for a dragged fishing net - trawling - that would catch fish species not already in-game: mackrel, salmon, anchovies and shrimp

• Like 1

-1 to forges

I'm sorry but fire and boats don't mix. Galley fires were a big risk and they had to take lots of precautions even to have the luxury of hot food, which was by no means guarenteed on-board. Forges get much hotter than a small cook's fire.

+1 to smithing imping on boats

Now if there was a magical container of heating, that might be acceptable for keeping your metal hot for imping. I'm not sure if you'd buy it ready-crafted, like a magical chest of preservation, or if you would craft it using dragon butchering parts.

You can imp weapon-smithing spears on boats with carpentry tools

I would guess that creation is disabled on boats because the game doesn't distinguish between items that are dropped on creation and items that go into inventory. That at the moment, you either switch it all on or switch it all off.

+1 to activities while sailing

I would go for a dragged fishing net - trawling - that would catch fish species not already in-game: mackrel, salmon, anchovies and shrimp

I understand the want for a certain amount of realism ingame and that forges on ships aren't exactly realistic, but note and point dragons exist in wurm. Plus if its just a forge it would be easier to implement than a new item that needs coding and art design. As is it would need to have all items crafted while on a ship show in ship/character inventory (large anvils for example usually drop to the ground) ,and the stamina loss while sailing a boat would need to be took off.

Sailing draging a fishnet after boat, and when u arrive u pick up the fishnet that gives u some fish.

Lets say picking the fish from the net have a 2 minute action timer, so u get a fair fishing skillgain for doing it also.

• Like 1

Trawling would be a good implementation, however assume it might be difficult to code? Also the skill gain etc would need to be worked out correctly. 

I don't like little effort for big gains in Wurm... That's what makes Wurm so good!

Uhm... No. >_<

Fishing just needs to work. For now, I'll just continue with puppets

passengers stamina recovers and drains as normal though doesn't it?

So you could have an alt driving, while you're imping something as a passenger?

Please allow us to have forges on ships for one reason only.................. Xanadu sailing gets boring after a while and smithing makes it worth sailing anyway if you are going to do any smithing.

How about maybe being able to go inside the bigger boats while other toon is sailing and there is a 1x1 or something inside them?

Then you can put whatever you want in them to craft on your way

Edited by necroe
  • Like 1

U can smith while being the captain in the boat. Just need a carpentry tool set and some wooden shields, dunno if this works for weaponsmithing works too, so yes u can smith ;)

I would like to see more traveling merchants, But I don't think that doing Bs while sailing is ever gonna happen.  Maybe make something similar to the copper brazier that you can use on board for smithing.

beds on ships

What actually happens now when you logout(disconnect) while sailing ? Used to be that you'd fall off the boat into the water, and if you were lucky, the commander would spot this and wait for you to reappear and haul you back aboard. Last time it happened to me though, when I logged back in I was in a passenger spot on the ship, safely back in harbour. Do we already have a login point on a moving vehicle coded for and working properly ?

What actually happens now when you logout(disconnect) while sailing ? Used to be that you'd fall off the boat into the water, and if you were lucky, the commander would spot this and wait for you to reappear and haul you back aboard. Last time it happened to me though, when I logged back in I was in a passenger spot on the ship, safely back in harbour. Do we already have a login point on a moving vehicle coded for and working properly ?

Pretty much as long as you dont cross servers you will pop back in the boat at where it docked.

No, that's how it used to work but now it's broken and when you log out in a boat or a cart you are where you logged rather than in the vehicle. I don't know if this is a bug or if it's intended but it totally stinks. 

-1 to forges

Being someone who is into naval things... Forges were a crucial part of ships, for explorers or naval powers like the British Navy.

They wouldn't be as big as our forges, but they indeed had them onboard, for when some of the iron components of the ship broke,

Or they slipped the anchor and had to fashion a new one.

I'd be totally fine with a forge half the size of the current one for ships

Being someone who is into naval things... Forges were a crucial part of ships, for explorers or naval powers like the British Navy.

They wouldn't be as big as our forges, but they indeed had them onboard, for when some of the iron components of the ship broke,

Or they slipped the anchor and had to fashion a new one.

I'd be totally fine with a forge half the size of the current one for ships