Sign in to follow this  
Calypsoi

New Map

Don't want to get in any conflict, but on my Google Maps it shows all bussinesses too. More and more details appear as I zoom in.

rP52dxY.jpg

Anyways, it's just that I don't like neither hovering, or clicking on icons to see names. I prefer the old style of maps - as long as I don't have anything to innovations, it shouldn't make it harder for us. Especially that most map engines provide the option to show us text on map itself, even the one Issle used.

True. Although that text is hardcoded on the tiles. I'm currently editing the leaflet label plugin to simulate that effect. Going good so far, although extra labels make the map heavier. To avoid that, google and others don't show all the info on smaller zoom levels. They hide them and show extra details as you drill in to minimize the visible objects loaded each time you interact with the map.

Edited by Issle

True. Although that text is hardcoded on the tiles. I'm currently editing the leaflet label plugin to simulate that effect. Going good so far, although extra labels make the map heavier. To avoid that, google and others don't show all the info on smaller zoom levels. They hide them and show extra details as you drill in to minimize the visible objects loaded each time you interact with the map.

• Like 1

Yeah it is just a show hide issue on both of our systems. The problem comes with the low resolution map...mr client developer can you get something better so we can zoom deeper that way the labels are not all cluttered up? If we show the labels at tolerable zoom levels they will just be a mess of jumbled text.

I agree that it doesnt need labels, but apparently those of us that feel that way are in a minority. Or at the least a vocal minority.

Also if you did the google earth satellite overlay it would show a whole lot more businesses right on top of those that map is showing. Google only displays businesses that advertise with them, if they showed them all they would be facing the same problem we are.

Edited by Calypsoi

Uploading version with labels, eta 30 mins :P I'm showing them after zoom level 3. I'll admit labels look cool now that I see them too.

Edit: Updated. Feels a bit heavier to me doesn't it ?

Edited by Issle

Uploading version with labels, eta 30 mins :P I'm showing them after zoom level 3. I'll admit labels look cool now that I see them too.

Edit: Updated. Feels a bit heavier to me doesn't it ?

The letters that mark the tiles are not showing anymore the numbers are there but can't see the letter tiles. 

OMG Knee slapping laughter time, that map you HAVE to CLICK it does not even hover!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am laughing so hard at all of you trolling me about hovering now. Eat it!

• Like 2

Much better.

The PDF version handles it fine iirc.

As for labels, the only time I'm looking at one of these maps is if I'm visiting a deed, and most fo the time I won't know the exact place of it, only the general vicinity.

I'm not going to open your map then click or hover over every village in the area to find the one I want when a visible label on everything will give me what I want to know at a glance.

"Google only displays businesses that advertise with them."

And what percentage of businesses do you think don't have a presence on Google? (hint: it's very small)

Seriously, I'd never support your map after your responses like these, no matter how good you make it.  Can we just close this thread?  Any admins will to put an end to this silliness?

Now back to the issue at hand. With the labels see how they overlap when in dense areas, good example is around Loremere. That is the part that I personally do not like. Again I see the point some people have about being able to glance and find where you are faster, I just do not see a way around this issue without adding the labels manually to the map so that you know they do not overlap. At that point you run into the issue of it being more confusing to figure out which marker matches the label.

The two hard zoom levels don't cut it - it needs more in between.

I would also use a deed image with more contrast and perhaps a color scheme that works better with the map background.

I tend to prefer the labels solution, perhaps with a search function eventually, see the umap created for Release at some point. Note: that one doesn't show labels on mouseover but on click, which is bad.

A killing feature for any map would be to show the map coordinates of the square I'm hovering over in a fixed corner. I don't want to scroll to two of the map edges to check those, especially with a map as big as Xanadu.

>>> ANYONE CAN MAKE A MAP! <<<

You'll who are here trying to derail Calypsoi's work need stop tell others what to do.

If you don't like this, then don't use it.

• Like 1

The two hard zoom levels don't cut it - it needs more in between.

I would also use a deed image with more contrast and perhaps a color scheme that works better with the map background.

I tend to prefer the labels solution, perhaps with a search function eventually, see the umap created for Release at some point. Note: that one doesn't show labels on mouseover but on click, which is bad.

A killing feature for any map would be to show the map coordinates of the square I'm hovering over in a fixed corner. I don't want to scroll to two of the map edges to check those, especially with a map as big as Xanadu.

• Like 1

my 3 darkhold deeds are on the wrong side of the highway.  and highway should be up a bit more also.  kinda lined up with the top line of Lormere blue box

plus added a better road map for our area, so folks can see how to get to major deeds

14512827339_5ed43763c7_o.jpg

suggestion to prevent name overlapping. is to have darkhold the middle deed under the deed box while other two above the deed boxes

Amazing how fast a single player can turn a nice community project into a drama fest.

If thats the reputation you want, well then thats the reputation you'll get.

Sad.

Edited by Steeloxide

If you say so, when a single player can produce a map much faster with exactly the same capabilites as the one that was worked on longer, and came out later. Not to mention has the deeds kept up with better. Thank you for trolling have a nice day.

• Like 1

If you say so, when a single player can produce a map much faster with exactly the same capabilites as the one that was worked on longer, and came out later. Not to mention has the deeds kept up with better. Thank you for trolling have a nice day.

My point exactly, Anyone with an opinion is a troll. Right?

Anyways your on my naughty list and probably many others. Have fun with that.

Edited by Steeloxide

You have not given an opinion only insults. Your naughty list is meaningless, as with any troll.

You have not given an opinion only insults. Your naughty list is meaningless, as with any troll.

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən

noun

noun: opinion; plural noun: opinions
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
"I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"

The subject of this thread is you and your map, so yes, I did give my opinion. If you found it insulting maybe that's because you feel bad about it.

I think its great your making a map, and its awesome how fast you were able to put it together - thats not what Im talking about.

Im talking about the manner in witch your conducting yourself that isnt cool.

Is my opinion more clear now? Or am I still just a troll?

Anyways, best of luck with your map!

Edited by Steeloxide

Good ol' Calypsoi, always making friends. 

But in all honesty the only reason he's been so snappy with everyone is because he's been getting prodded at for not 'contacting MD' or doing things the way you want them done. Something he does not need to do if he just felt like making his own map due to the lack of updates on the others (which I had noticed, for some time.)

If you don't like his attitude quit telling him the same things that have been repeated over and over since page 1, comment 1. Yeah, the guy has an attitude, but so would I. Just drop it and let the guy make his map, if you don't want want to use it. Don't. Use MD's.

Edited by HerbalMentat

Yep- you're still a troll. 

Is my opinion more clear now? Or am I still just a troll?