Sign in to follow this  
Calypsoi

New Map

Ok I have started adding locations to my map system since our map has not been updated since last month, the supposed new map has not had new info in over a week, and I have been told that the current map chief quit on a former map they did. So lets do what Wurmians do best and take this up ourselves.

This is the map as it stands currently as I am adding locations from the old map to it: http://www.streamhelper.com/wurmstuff/xanadu/

This map system has the ability to add screenshots for villages that come up when someone clicks on a village, as well as a description for the village. Tags can be added to the rollover to include things like mailbox, sermons, marketplace.

If you guys like this and would like to help I need a couple of trusted map editors to help me get the old locations moved over, and new locations added in. I also need someone good with photoshop to help do the highways/canals/tunnels.

Editing this map is very easy with this system. You just click add new map location, type the name then optional add a description, tags, images, then doubleclick the location on the map and save it. The only photoshop work that needs to be done is with the highways/tunnels/canals.

Look forward to hearing from you.

AFAIK they are working on a new one so why double the work and update the old? Have you even tried contacting MD about what's being worked on?

Edit: also -1 this isn't even close to mobile friendly nor is it scaling properly. For a map as large as xanadu I should be able to zoom in well. You also have no labels just a bunch of monopoly pieces around the map. I shouldn't be clicking around for deed names. That is super annoying.

Edited by Ruger

MD has not touched the map for over half a month, and the so called working on a new one has been over a week. MD also abandoned the last map they started after a few weeks of working on it, so I just smell a repeat, no sense in waiting around on unreliable people, we need to get something sustainable going.

Don't think you understand the level of detail Md was working on when it comes to the deliverance map. He was doing tile by tile. Another community map surfaced and he went back to indy. MD is active daily monday-friday. Maybe contact him direct. Taking it upon yourself after "a week" is a little....

You have no problem trolling people all day in kchat so a simple message should be easy for you to manage.

• Like 1

Like you troll constantly. MD taking it upon themselves is a little.... too then. I can start a map if I want and if you do not like it you can stay out of my thread. I am sorry I hurt your feelings because I am taking the initiative to do something one of your inner circle people has proven unreliable on.

No need to make a "good" map until they give the map dump it will all need changing anyway once they do.  Well that's my opinion on the deal anyway. 

• Like 2

With this map system I can lay the map dump behind the markers. The only thing that will need to be redone is the highways/canals/tunnels

Troll constantly? You must have me confused. I've only trolled xanadu once. Lol

And it has nothing to do with MD being a member of VoTD. Frankly I wouldn't mind him giving up the map. It'd free up his time as a staff member and elder but I'd rather a good map come of it. This right now needs a lot of work and frankly if you could do it so it had proper labels and was mobile friendly then I'm game for it. As it sits right now though this is just a slap together out of being impatient.

Proper labels, like the current one where the labels are sometimes over, sometimes under, sometimes left sometimes right....and in a PDF format, again you are just defending your little inner circle buddy. You need to stay out of my thread.

To be honest, I prefer MD's map. I don't want to have to hover over the markers to see the deed names and the red markers look too bulky for my tastes.

• Like 2

At least it has labels I don't have to hover over nor look like a bunch of monopoly pieces you made in paint.

rather than his little gold stars from kindergarted and labels you have to squint to read zoomed way in on a 50" screen. look just stay out of my thread you troll.

That's called scaling. It's something your map lacks. Also trolling is intentionally trying to derail or be off topic. I'm on topic nor trying to derail.

Also it looks just fine on my 72" that my pc is attached to so you should probably check into glasses. That's now a user error not a map editor error.

Edited by Ruger

SO it takes a 72" screen just to read it zoomed way in, yeah i bet thats real handy on a mobile.

sadly i have to agree, this setup leaves much to be desired. ill leave it at that

i have to say i dont like the "look" of either xanadu map,but this one looks worse if anything.

Because it has been a week since the announcement that the map will get a different system, it is time to take it over? Especially taking it over from someone that hasn't disappeared from the game, which is usually the case when a new map maker is called upon, or the previous, map maker decides to pass on the torch. I see neither scenario here. Let the new system get rolled out before doing anything, or the statement that it won't be rolled out. Also, I would hold off on making any really, really large map changes until we actually get a map dump so a proper Community Map can be created.

Sorry but 2 servers now mama has disapeared from working on maps they started. Xan is looking to be number 3 after no update since the 30th of June. While they may be great at their psuedo job as a lead chat mod, doing maps they have proven unreliable. You old people are just defending yourselves and sticking together, and it is proven time and time again that you are the exact reasons that many paying customers leave the game.

Calypso, have you tried to get in touch with Mama before deciding to take action? He was active yesterday on the forum. 

Lucas is right, try to get in touch with Mamadarkness before taking over the map.

I do not need to get in touch with an unreliable person to start a map of my own. If you do not like it that is your choice, I can make my own map that will actually get updated and go somewhere, that is my choice.

I do not need to get in touch with an unreliable person to start a map of my own. If you do not like it that is your choice, I can make my own map that will actually get updated and go somewhere, that is my choice.

• Like 1

Hopefully you will listen to suggestion from a traveler then, I see some potential in it, but as it stands, it is not usable:

Add names beside deeds. Having to click on it to see the name is difficult to manage at best and some devices can't hover.

Optimize for mobile use. Many of us use phones or pads to look at maps while traveling. 

Scale down initial size, scale up max zoom, add multiple levels of zoom.

Make deed figures smaller. In relation to actual deed size, the representations are far too big. (Looked back at the map and noticed these had changed! Better, but now hard to see against the map base)

Add scroll bars. Click drag is terrible... It is what really turned me off from the pdf maps.

Pluses:

Deed information on click is pretty cool. 

I think it is better representation of Xanadu size in many ways. 

That's about it. Good luck if you continue to pursue this.

Funny about the scrollbars...the original version had them and people complained about that... cant please everyone lol.

The idea for this is to work exactly like google maps. One thing I am working on but will be a good ways off is a search function, where you put in the deed name and it zooms to that deed and puts the hover popup in place. Again this function is just in the idea stages but is something I really want to do for the map.

Edited by Calypsoi