Sign in to follow this  
Youngsoldier

Add black people to the character creation process

The thing is we kinda figured out he's trolling, but being a doctorchese he keeps on trolling ...

• Like 1

Issle.png

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

Edited by Docterchese

I didn't know I played a game to represent rl, nor be incredibly passionate about how it can relate as such

If the game is "nordic" and "european".... then it should be based on that regardless of whatever rl political correctness there is.  It's exactly the same as saying Wurm should not have dinosaurs, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.  It's as simple as that.

I don't have an opinion for the suggestion and leaving it as such

The game is not nordic nor european... Do I really need to list the examples? It is a fantasy game...

Well, technically wurm is a medieval game and since Colombus had not yet sailed to America, black people were not discovered at the medieval ages.

I think you're possibly ignorant enough to be serious, so let me tell you something: "black" people typically originate in Africa.

can I have my skin color aswell please? :D I want pale white.

and about the "women in medieval times" ever heard of shieldmaiden?

also, maybe, just for the sake of knowledge and it's not meant as arguing for any side, theoretically medieval times span over a really LONG time, so it seems reasonable that everyone has a different view on it, aswell as that medieval has lots of different meanings regarding WHERE you look at. Northern countries were longer in a medieval state than others as example, since middle europa was conquered by roman empire at some point, bringing in a new era.

But other countries like china, russia or america also had some form of medieval times, just that they are often less known than european ones.

and btw. issle....the gladiator movie...it's not medieval, it's ancient times and it plays around the area of greek and italy, they are close to the seas to africa, so black people came from there.

is it btw. possible for anyone to actually "discuss" instead of trying to bash each other? Why is it, as example, such a problem to understand that some players don't want black characters "just like that" but that they want some form of implementation for them to explain where they are suddenly coming from? 

If we are NOT basing this on the real world, then there is still the question, why wurm did'nt have any black people for a long time? I want lore, something to integrate it into the world seemlessly, since that is what i think, makes the game more believable and immersion means a great deal. It doesn't matter if wurm was ever meant to be representing northern countries or not, IF something is added, there should be effort taken to not make new things stand out too much.

Of course, after a few years after implementation, that initial explanation wouldn't matter much anymore....

I just think that everything in this world, should have something to back it up. Just imagine we could suddenly make goblins or trolls as game characters, would you like to see them added "just like that"?

and at youngsoldier: why are you so hostile towards people who just try to state their own opinion? Why are you only fine with answers like: "yes! let's add it!" ? What is the point of suggestion threads, if you don't allow people to criticize it? specially after you bumped it so many times...

I think you're possibly ignorant enough to be serious, so let me tell you something: "black" people typically originate in Africa.

I believe I stated my opinion before, but can remember.

However, I don't think it fits in the shem of wurm online.

On the other hand it doesn't hurt me nor is it allot of effort to implement.

Basically a -1+1, I guess.

I am wrong again.

There are merely a handful of countries in the world that allow women to fight on the front lines in the 21st century. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_combat

Did you check the nordic countries in that link? :)

On topic though:

I don't personally miss any skin tones in this game, but it wouldn't hurt me in any way if more skin tones were added.

So a small +1 from me, in support of those it matters to a lot. But only a small +1, since the OPs argument is that this is 2014 while making  suggestion for a medieval set game.

The ultra left wing zealots who think everything is racism specifically designed to upset them almost makes me want to be a republican. Almost.

• Like 2

can I have my skin color aswell please? :D I want pale white.

and about the "women in medieval times" ever heard of shieldmaiden?

also, maybe, just for the sake of knowledge and it's not meant as arguing for any side, theoretically medieval times span over a really LONG time, so it seems reasonable that everyone has a different view on it, aswell as that medieval has lots of different meanings regarding WHERE you look at. Northern countries were longer in a medieval state than others as example, since middle europa was conquered by roman empire at some point, bringing in a new era.

But other countries like china, russia or america also had some form of medieval times, just that they are often less known than european ones.

and btw. issle....the gladiator movie...it's not medieval, it's ancient times and it plays around the area of greek and italy, they are close to the seas to africa, so black people came from there.

is it btw. possible for anyone to actually "discuss" instead of trying to bash each other? Why is it, as example, such a problem to understand that some players don't want black characters "just like that" but that they want some form of implementation for them to explain where they are suddenly coming from? 

If we are NOT basing this on the real world, then there is still the question, why wurm did'nt have any black people for a long time? I want lore, something to integrate it into the world seemlessly, since that is what i think, makes the game more believable and immersion means a great deal. It doesn't matter if wurm was ever meant to be representing northern countries or not, IF something is added, there should be effort taken to not make new things stand out too much.

Of course, after a few years after implementation, that initial explanation wouldn't matter much anymore....

I just think that everything in this world, should have something to back it up. Just imagine we could suddenly make goblins or trolls as game characters, would you like to see them added "just like that"?

and at youngsoldier: why are you so hostile towards people who just try to state their own opinion? Why are you only fine with answers like: "yes! let's add it!" ? What is the point of suggestion threads, if you don't allow people to criticize it? specially after you bumped it so many times...

Im fine with any well thought out post or opinion. However you tastefully ignore the fact there alot more players who simply have stated they dont want black people because of their own rascist feelings, only a couple posts say they dont want them "just like that" but want some lore as to why they should exist, very few posts... Many more simply posting no due to racist feelings.

Your desire for lore is shared by many people however it is in vain I can easily name fifty things added to the game without lore.... So to put the requirement of that to simply add a skin color is pretty restrictive in my mind. I'd like the lore of how we have the high shipbuilding to make a caravel lol...

Where the did the rice come from i wanna know too lol...

The Abbasid Caliphate traded rice into europe in the 900s. Wurm takes place in the 1200s. This makes sense.

The Abbasid Caliphate traded rice into europe in the 900s. Wurm takes place in the 1200s. This makes sense.

And that would explain non-white people in Europe.

Trying to assign a specific time period to Wurm is nonsensical. For instance, it can't be the 1200s because we have spyglasses which wouldn't come about for 3-400 more years (depending on your view of the scholarship). Plate armor as a single cohesive suit (instead of a supplement to maile) doesn't show up until the 1400s.  Potatos aren't imported into the late 1500s if not early 1600s. If you include all these glaring anachronisms, the best bet would be the early 1600s...but then where are the guns?

It's a game, not reality. It's setting is vaguely Medieval European but it includes aspects from multiple cultures and multiple technological periods. It includes all these things because people enjoy them and they add to the experience.

We don't have lightsabres because they are from an entirely different genre with no historical (or even mythical really) reality and doesn't show up in literature until the 20th century. Inclusion of those would be a break of immersion just as much as adding monster trucks. They would also pose a rather harsh change to game balance as they would need to be integrated into the combat and crafting systems. The latter reason is why we don't have cannon or explosives. But a nifty sailing vessel like a caravel (ca. late 1400s but which is mislabeled - it handles nothing like a real one would) fits snuggly into the game despite any anachronism because it's basically just another ship.

In comparison, a dark skin tone has no game balance issues, no change to the mechanisms needed AND has a historical basis in reality. There were far more dark skinned peoples in Europe than there ever were unicorns.

By the way, Caravels are an iberian design. When they were developed, african peoples had been living there for 700+ years during a cultural and technological peak that helped sow the seeds for the renaissance. 

• Like 4

Im fine with any well thought out post or opinion. However you tastefully ignore the fact there alot more players who simply have stated they dont want black people because of their own rascist feelings, only a couple posts say they dont want them "just like that" but want some lore as to why they should exist, very few posts... Many more simply posting no due to racist feelings.

Your desire for lore is shared by many people however it is in vain I can easily name fifty things added to the game without lore.... So to put the requirement of that to simply add a skin color is pretty restrictive in my mind. I'd like the lore of how we have the high shipbuilding to make a caravel lol...

agree, but I guess it is a general problem on the internet or with people, that things said are not really thought through.

and yeah my wish for lore wouldn't be only for a simple skintone, I would prefer seeing everything thats added to some game with atleast one or 2 sentences to integrate it into the world.

They did that, when they changed one of the blacksmithing mechanics "blacksmiths all over the world discovered a new more efficient way for imping tools"

same way they could say: "rumors are going around, that dark skinned people joined the lands of wurm, the origins are unknown"

or they could add them together with a new server :) 

• Like 1

Well yeah I know wurm has no specific time period. but that guy said its europe so I said europe had rice to appease his argument ok ok

• Like 1

-1 im a rasist and if you add black to the game i cna assure you people will complain about me farming cotton fealds withe black alts having names like rat

+1 my girlfriend didn't want to play cause she couldn't make a character even close to her skin color.

• Like 1

14 pages, wow. 

Its a game, with no real history or geography to even link darker colored people to. Not that I am against more options, I would love it.

I'd also like to play a gnome, or minotaur, or a goblin (we have those).

Give me more options!

Or, keep it like it is, its fine.

According to the sparse lore, all of us on these islands are colonists from one place where the two nations of Mol-Rehan and Jenn-Kellon are fighting. so it stands to reason only Caucasian-like people would be found here. 

Now, if Rold would add some natives as NPCs then allow those skin tones, that would make it all better, right?

Edited by Mark