Sign in to follow this  
Youngsoldier

Add black people to the character creation process

Point be simple.. I

If Rolf wishes to put in a dark color skin Great.

If he does not Great.

But the bases of the do or dont is 100% under his concept and lore of the game.

Nothing like fair or unfair or should be or should not be matters.

Thus we rent the game and bow to his creative ideas.

If you would like black skin then Submit that under Suggestions and Ideas with supporters and hope it happens.

Point be simple.. I

If Rolf wishes to put in a dark color skin Great.

If he does not Great.

But the bases of the do or dont is 100% under his concept and lore of the game.

Nothing like fair or unfair or should be or should not be matters.

Thus we rent the game and bow to his creative ideas.

If you would like black skin then Submit that under Suggestions and Ideas with supporters and hope it happens.

First, no one "bows to his creative ideas", we belive his concept is nice, and thus pay for his bread so he can continue to develop it, like with any other game or service purchase.

secondly, this IS the suggestions thread, and it is widely accepted, except for you and maybe two more forumers.

These bad arguments about; we are wurmians and not humans doesnt count.

Or we gonna change Humans demise into Wurmians demise soon?

• Like 2

To answer the lore/historical aspect:

Currently (well, as of 2011, the last census) in Northern Ireland (Where I live)

0.2% of the population is black - Thats like 1 person in all of Xanadu online at any given time.

A figure I am sure much larger than that of a medieval nordic country.

Then again, we are the least ethnically diverse country other than North Korea right now.

But yeah, I don't see a reason why not to add it. It can't be that much work.

You are right man, lets put more no sense restrictions in a supposedly sandbox game, I´m sure the more restriction we have the more sandbox the game turns... 

PD: and is not like the lore argument is old and over used at all.

You are right man, lets put more no sense restrictions in a supposedly sandbox game, I´m sure the more restriction we have the more sandbox the game turns... 

PD: and is not like the lore argument is old and over used at all.

Didn't you read my last line? I said sure, add it.

Was just addressing the people who said about medieval countries in NW Europe not have many black people.

Yes, medieval NW/Nordic Europe where they fought dragons, giant spiders, hell horses, goblins, trolls, and unicorns. Where magic was real and crops don't die in the winter. Yet a black person living there .. impossible!

Stop using 'realism' or 'lore' as excuses to be racist. 

• Like 2

Stop using 'realism' or 'lore' as excuses to be racist. 

Stop using a game to validate your skin color on a pixelated avatar.

• Like 1

The importance of seeing a face that looks like yours when stepping into a fictional game world can't be overstated. When you can choose a likeness you are familiar or comfortable with it tells you  "Hey, you're welcome here. You can be larger-than-life, too." gg...

• Like 1

i do feel that the game could use more customization, however i feel it needs a lot more, not just different skin tones.

i do also feel that there are more important things right now, such as bugs that have been around for like a year and still havent even been addressed.

• Like 1

i do also feel that there are more important things right now, such as bugs that have been around for like a year and still havent even been addressed.

I really doubt that the client/server programmers have something to do with the art guy.

• Like 1

I really doubt that the client/server programmers have something to do with the art guy.

I must say that I would put fixing octobarrels above new skin tones if I had the choice, if they haven't been fixed yet.  Going from the old, nice barrels years ago to the terrible ones we had last year was annoying.  Granted, the resource requirements on the old barrels was significant, but I can't believe there isn't some sort of middle ground where barrels look like barrels, even if they don't look quite so good as they did years ago.

There are possibly other art issues that could be attended to, but additional skin tones should be really easy compared to some other potential things to work on.  There's always a need for an easy job now and then to take a break from the harder stuff.

If you are taking this personally, you're ridiculous.

If you think the world would end if this was added, you're ridiculous. (My leaning, by the way)

If you think Rolf cares what is decided in this thread, you're out of your ridiculous mind.

• Like 1

i really doubt the client/server programmers would fix octobarrels, or make the current graphics better/more consistent in theme.

while they are not bugs, i feel they are more important.

Wurm should play to it's strength of being a medium capable of offering amazing playable experiences as diverse — and imaginative — as ALL of its users.

I read some comments. Laughed at some. Then got bored. +1 from me.

I dont see how adding more skins tones can be a negative thing. Ive played a lot of mmos and they all offer darker skin tones. Its never caused any issues. Those saying it dosent fit the game, we have desserts, scorpions and crocodiles. If I lived in a dessert with a pet crocodile and spent my days outdoors hunting scorpions I'd be pretty dark, just saying.

• Like 2

-1, would ruin PvP.

just kidding +1

Edited by Darthryan

I read some comments. Laughed at some. Then got bored. +1 from me.

I dont see how adding more skins tones can be a negative thing. Ive played a lot of mmos and they all offer darker skin tones. Its never caused any issues. Those saying it dosent fit the game, we have desserts, scorpions and crocodiles. If I lived in a dessert with a pet crocodile and spent my days outdoors hunting scorpions I'd be pretty dark, just saying.

qft

Bump

We can assume the skintones stopped where they did for Wurm to keep a toe or a foot in Viking realism while the the other ventures in to the fantastic, offering the often scarce polytheism, mysticism and mythological and unique creatures. I don't know why work has halted on any new character divergeance for a while, mostly dev time needed on other things but it was a good place to stop for agood rethink later. Now Rolf can try to allot dev time in to how Wurm should proceed in this. Trolling or not, I'm glad you made this thread, it points out that Wurm has choice here. Whether to diversify in to kingdom and PMK specific differences which seems to be what it is doing, equating to a Wurm way of tribalising, even subracing the opposing factions in time. Future growth could have a more real historical take on diversity like I mentioned earlier in the thread, can't really see it happening well but it's possible and could be a great take with a surprisingly good future. The way I'd much prefer Wurm to proceed would be to start focus on other ways of maintaining a society other than the standard build walls, farm field, raise horse game we know and surely love. Gypsy life being the easiest to implement, there have been additions to make this a highly plausible alt lifestyle on Wurm, the biggest drawback being that the servers are more island size than continent, that doesn't really make a travelling lifestyle as romantic. Cave dwellers is one of my favorites, players that have elected to abandon the sky and exist communally in isolated and probably vast cave systems. They'd become grotesque and bug-eyed in time, evade your local outside a 10 meter radius and poach your beef when you won't miss it.

Pirate type outposts are sort of possible but it's hardly an optimised system, yet. As a PMK type it needs some meaty concessions on things to be more than another unrealised far off fantasy or the pirates  are simply a kingdom. Rolf's outlaw idea had a lot of potential when applied to putting rewards on individuals, from rogues to pirates and even privateers. That would open up the bounty hunting buisiness a bit too, can't be all bad.

Dreadpirate KellyT 2G reward for his {Black Heart} to be delivered for [cursing] by [Motala Coven]. Reward open to [all].

Vampires, I can't really see how it would be good ingame in the near future but it does evoke an alternate lifestyle having to exist outside the norm and being reliant on it to survive. On the other hand Werewolves are one of my favorite concepts for Wurm. Seems very easy to implement and would occasionally (like once a month) cause some tension, fear, panic in a good way as one of the server's population shreds up several towns to eat the citizens. 1 per server, massive perks if he can remain that anonymous blacksmith and what a title if you helped kill one. On death or the failure to kill enough citizens someone else gets to be the werewolf.

Could even have player trolls roaming the lands once bridges make the game. Oh yeah I got a bit sidetracked. I love period movies, even dramas but I couldn't watch this offering from Hollywood and it's what I thought of when reading this thread. Still stand by my first post  but can see the want for the skins.

1030265.jpg

Edited by Silures

Have you guys also noticed that 99.999% of all suggestion & ideas never make it into the game?

However im 100% sure a more in depth charachter creation is on Rolf's ToDo Checklist, regardless of this thread or not.

But to be realistic, Wurm Online is a Independent video game, made by a single man, bless him!

It's not like a tripple AAA game company that have 10000's of employees. It's a time issue, nutting else.

Get educated how the structures in wurm work, if you want this change, volounteer to the art development team and use the tools to create the models.

Still it would be better to use your creativity and passion to accomplish something in the real world like Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela amongst others did.

Have you guys also noticed that 99.999% of all suggestion & ideas never make it into the game?

However im 100% sure a more in depth charachter creation is on Rolf's ToDo Checklist, regardless of this thread or not.

But to be realistic, Wurm Online is a Independent video game, made by a single man, bless him!

It's not like a tripple AAA game company that have 10000's of employees. It's a time issue, nutting else.

Get educated how the structures in wurm work, if you want this change, volounteer to the art development team and use the tools to create the models.

Still it would be better to use your creativity and passion to accomplish something in the real world like Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela amongst others did.

Most comprehensive lecture ever to be placed on the forums.

"It'll happen when it happens, only one person, do it yourself, it's just a game," packed into a single argument. I salute you.

• Like 1