Sign in to follow this  
Lovefall

Parental mode

- blocks all public chats
- blocks all incoming PMs except village, alliance and PMs for friends
- blocks all incoming friend requests / village invites
- blocks all trades

I know that for most of these there are in game settings (/kchat and /gchat for public chats, profile settings for PMs, settings for invitations), but my idea is to be able to turn them off and prevent them being turned on without a password.

Now I know there are people that just like to -1 any idea that doesn't suit their needs, but before doing so please remember that this is not something that would affect you in anyway or that will change the game play in any way; is just a client-side setting, just like the offensive words filter - an option which you may easily chose to ignore.

Also, before judging, please remember that we all come from different countries and different cultures; what may be common in some countries and cultures, may be considered extremely offensive in others. Please don't block an option for existing, just because *you* don't find it needed.

Edited by Lovefall
  • Like 3

I think if you're concerned especially about offensive emotes, maybe the child is too young to play wurm, or maybe it's a bit too overprotective

• Like 20

Should block kingdom chat too tbh. lol. Lots of families play this game so +1 from me. 

Also can we change that butcher pile while we're at it? looks nasty.

• Like 4

+1

I can see the viable use for this.  You're young kids can play in your village without the worry of people taking advantage of them while you're offline... so you don't come back to find everything missing :P  aka random noob firends your kid and then uses his cart and takes everyhing in it etc.   Just seems like a good security measure for parents.

You'll let your kid play wurm, where they have the ability to stab puppies, kittens and unicorns.... and you're concerned about fart emotes?

I'm -1 this because any kid young enough to need to be sheltered from such things listed is too young to be gaming. Specifically multiplayer online gaming (and that means consoles too).

• Like 6

if a parent thinks they need to control there son or daughter that much, they shouldn't let them play to begin with.

I was raised on games, from three years old, and joined MMO's when I was still very young, without any parental controls. I saw what adults, teens, or kids acted like on there. And it didn't make me be like them, like a lot of parents normally fear, Instead, it taught me what NOT to be.  in my honest opinion, censoring them from these things is worse then showing them.

• Like 7

You'll let your kid play wurm, where they have the ability to stab puppies, kittens and unicorns.... and you're concerned about fart emotes?

I'm -1 this because any kid young enough to need to be sheltered from such things listed is too young to be gaming. Specifically multiplayer online gaming (and that means consoles too).

Gotta agree on this. Besides Wurm already allows you to filter language. That's pretty much all you should require. Like many people said, if your kid is too young to be exposed to fart noises or spitting sounds (can't really think of any other emote that can be really considered ofensive), he's definetly too young to play this. If he can already read enough to play this and understand the emote texts, the protecting him from them stage is come and gone.

And truly if you don't consider him responsible enough to trade stuff, then most likely he'll be a liability to your neighbors and village.

• Like 2

Wait wait wait... when did we get 18+ emotes?

I don't think someone that young/impressionable should be playing an online game.

Granted chat can get pretty ... when a CM isnt on top of it.

Granted chat can get pretty ... when a CM isnt on top of it.

Which is a good thing, The kid should see it and know it's wrong, if he joins in on it..... Then that's not the games fault, now is it?  :ph34r:

• Like 3

Everyone has different teaching/parenting styles; some people are really concerned about childrens internet lives.

+1 to this idea. How people want to raise there children is up to them, if they want to run full protections, they can. You, me, nor anyone else has to turn on parental mode just as you don't have to leave bad language filter enabled. Just another one those settings.

-1 If your kid is not mature enough to handle the contents of the game it shouldn't be playing the game. Control of what the kid does and doesn't do on the Internet should be solely handled from the home and not accommodated and compensated for by ingame means. This is not something the devs should spend time on.

• Like 16

-1 If your kid is not mature enough to handle the contents of the game it shouldn't be playing the game. Control of what the kid does and doesn't do on the Internet should be solely handled from the home and not accommodated and compensated for by ingame means. This is not something the devs should spend time on.

I couldn't have said this any better myself; 100% this.

Well, it's not about me - I'm way too young myself to have a kid. But recently an in-game friend of mine told me that he, his wife and their kid decided to quit the game because of the offensive language some people get to used (in this case it was about some rude comments in local). That's where my idea of a parental filter to allow parents to protect their kids of such abuses.

And, before judging, please remember that we all come from different countries and different cultures; what may be common in some countries and cultures, may be considered extremely offensive in others. Please don't block an option for existing, just because *you* don't find it needed.

I look at myself; I'm 20 (so no longer a kid) and i'm still extremely offended whenever I hear someone using the f word or other similar words on chat, while I'm sure that there are many other teenagers of my age who have absolutely no problem with that.

You can restrict most of what you have suggested already I know it's not all in a single setting but it still works if you want to not hear the foul-languaged individuals in kchat. The chat filter could probably be a bit better but I don't think it should be a priority right now. Also this is the internet I'm 20 and to me swearing is just a part of everyday language. As far as emoticons its difficult to restrict them and people can always come up with more, to keep up with this would be difficult. The one thing that could be worked on is getting people to say if they don't want bad language and reporting it in kchat, unless it is already filtered.

All that being said it is still a good idea to give parents some feeling of safety.

Edited by Webba

+1 

probably should link it to a parent account aka so their name would look like this so people knew they weren't ignoring them or macroing or so GMs/CMs or other people could know to contact TheMomma account if TheSam is being inappropriate like messing up highways etc:

TheSam son of TheMomma

Edited by violetann

I doubt they will add any of these ideas - however there is many child friendly single player sandboxes I'd recommend over wurm

while I'm not being mean to parents that let their children play this game (yes I know this is gonna sound mean and I apologize) the players that benefit from adding a full on parental mode over the standard chat and in game item is far less then 1% of the population and to spend time building filters - new models for items/animals to scary or adult for children - not to mention just Rolf and team deciding what is appropriate because as you said different cultures have different issues and finding a politically correct thing that every parent agrees on would take ages of time the other 99% of the game could be getting something done with

While I agree parents should keep their kids from all the mayhem that is some servers - I think the time investment for the maybe 20-30 people who will use this outta 3-5k players would be better to just invest a nice safe solo sandbox game they could enjoy without you looking over their shoulders

• Like 1

fix pvp balance first pls

also -1

u can turn on censors. this is the internet get used to bad language 

• Like 1

Some of the subjects I have participated in and viewed on the kchat and gchat are pretty PG13+ and besides, it can be annoying having little ones in the chat messing around. I +1 but -1 blocking trade. That is needed for anybody, even a child.

Too funny :D There's already so many rules to protect little kids and grownup crybabies. Now you want a parental lock that basically takes all the multiplayer out of massive multiplayer online? :P

• Like 1