Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

offensive coins names

I think I said this once already... But yeah, defamation lawsuits, and blue laws that say swearing in pubic is a jailable/finable offence. At least in America, land of the "free". 

Wow lol, that's messed up man...

Wow lol, that's messed up man...

Eh, your not going to have any reprecussions for a "What the bleep..." but a "You're a bleepin bleep bleep, with bleep bleepin bleep, and your moms a bleepin bleep too." You might be facing some issues if your hollering in a crowded place. 

Not unlike the chat rules of Wurm... 

While there is a certain item of clothing which may not be named in this game you certainly should not be able to make defamatory references

I renamed a coin something like "Services Rendered by Aeris"  It's not my fault you all have a dirty mind.   :P

• Like 3

Uhm... 

not being allowed to insult anyone = no free speech

free_speech.png

not aimed at you of course, but explaining the difference between not being able to insult anyone and not having free speech

• Like 22

Just stop the naming of coins seems easy enough. 

Our "rights" on Wurm are just what we're given by the company.  Different people have different sensibilities, and there's no "standard" that everyone will approve of.  Just because a word makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed at all, but it can still be controlled.  I'm glad there's no censorship in private channels, but it probably is a good idea certain things aren't broadcasted publicly.  I've heard of ridiculous support tickets being put in for harassment that I wouldn't say qualify as harassment, but whoever files the ticket seems to be the "victim" when they just can't take what they dish out.  Those minor incidents aside, we're really only limited on what's said for public viewing, the way it should be.  The real question is, does renaming a coin constitute public chat?  I would say no, others would say yes.  We can state our cases all day on the forums, but in the end it's the Wurm staff who makes that decision.

• Like 1

I find it odd that we can name the coins in game - but cant name our dogs, pigs, cows, bulls or bison - where it would be much more useful!

• Like 11

This is why we can't have nice things. A spare few abuse it and the rest of us become punished. I'm not saying that this is a terribly useful function (because it's actually pretty useless), but it's something that's fun to have. Shall signs be disabled too if people start filling up storages with signs saying that [insert name] is a ######?

The ability to rename meals has already been removed, I don't feel that more rename functions need to be taken away. Regardless of however offensive those 3 day lasting meals must've been it would still be nice to be able to name them.

• Like 5

Just give us the ability to attach an item to a support for buggedness or naming misuse. No need to remove the ability to do something useful.

And people who think this is just a freedom of speech/pc issue... it's about the misuse of an in-game medium (item naming) to spread lies/slander/misinformation/abuse. The game should care about how the means of communication in-game are used. The example given is perhaps harmless enough, but illustrates what might be done.

• Like 2

some coins are forever old

it doesn't matter IMO, if you are on the internet you should be able to take being called a word of all things.

its hilarious seeing people cry over something this pointless, even better when its the name of my longhouses

"clay mountains"

"venom swords"

"mooring anchors"

I'm glad there's no censorship in private channels, but it probably is a good idea certain things aren't broadcasted publicly. 

• Like 3

Remove ability to name any item in game.

That will please the sensitive people and keep em happy.

Think im better of playing some solitare and wait LiF to get finished.

Who cares?

People rename things offensively all the time, use offensive sigs on the forum, racist .etc house names and nobody kicks up a fuss, so please don't use someone directing a renamed coin at me as a means to fuel an argument to change items being renamed.

There are plenty of legit reasons for renaming ingame items, shouldn't let a small minority of people that abuse the system force changes for the majority that don't.

Edited by Daolin
  • Like 16

people say nasty things deal with it. heck kids say a lot worse to each other at school when adults aren't there to catch them saying it. its been proven that the more you oppress something the more people want to do it. 

Certain items you do not care about the quality or ability to rename it to use it functional in game.

a 10.32ql gold coin is just as valuable as a 99ql gold coin. if we removed the 'name' and the quality field we could easily trim the database down. i.e. per coin say 4 bytes for removing the float(the quality) and I can't remember how many max charters is for a name but for sake of argument Varchar(30) about X(Chariters)+1byte (so max would be 31 bytes), so at least 5-35 bytes saved, dosen't sound much till you realise how huge the amount of iron coins are. I could be wrong with how much space it uses, since I'm just going off the MySQL web site. but the point is the same. we don't need quality or renaming on coins so it would save a fair amount of database space removing them or possibly just making it so when you put them in your bank they are 'deleted' from the database so no one can see it and it doesn't use up permanent storage. 

• Like 3

Lost in all this is that Daolin also drinks fosters

• Like 3

Lost in all this is that Daolin also drinks fosters

• Like 1

free_speech.png

not aimed at you of course, but explaining the difference between not being able to insult anyone and not having free speech

srsly guys, dont need to remove this stuff. Just keep it in and track who names the coins. Isnt there a database ID to every coin? Make it track "last-renamed-by" ?

• Like 1

hrm, naming coins is fun... punish the kiddoes who abuse it and call it a day. I do get tired of seeing stuff like this, people seem so much more hurt by things now days. IE: My coffee is to hot i'm gonna sue! Mc Donalds made me fat, SUe! -.- I don't know why but this kinda of thing always reminds me of these two crazy things...

Edit: That Toxic movies Rose posted is interesting -.-...

Edit again: Lol at the "Thanks Obama" comment.

Edited by Maximillian

I do get tired of seeing stuff like this, people seem so much more hurt by things now days.

Yeah exactly, in the days of the first MMOs you never, or rarely, saw an attitude like this. People just get so butt-hurt nowadays... while there's just so much worse stuff in life than some random words from some random person on the internet...

I have always thought that this was a particularly horrible 'feature' that just gets abused. For every ad or "WKM!" i might see, I see 4 vulgar insults. 

But people like it.

So how about a config toggle "show coin labels" that turns this crap off.

Sorry if it was suggested, didn't read thread.

• Like 1

Who gives a darn. Rename the coin or don't. They're a nice way to play jokes on people.

I think I said this once already... But yeah, defamation lawsuits, and blue laws that say swearing in pubic is a jailable/finable offence. At least in America, land of the "free". 

I can say whatever I want about you here in America. Go ahead and waste your time taking me to court.

Defamation of character really only works if you're somebody... and I don't know what laws your talking about against "swearing in public"... you must be referring to the middle of the bible belt.

OT: Grow a pair. Names are called throughout your life, it started when you were young and probably wont end until you die. Let's not be able to rename ANYTHING in game though, because I might tag it with something offensive towards someone else.  :rolleyes:

• Like 4