Sign in to follow this  
Tpikol

offensive coins names

While I don't really care either way, since it's just binary transformed into squiggles on my screen, end of the day............ 

Still gotta ask the more horrified ones:

How does running into a nastily renamed coin affect your life?  Name examples, case stories, anecdotes.. y'know... "My nephew got a coin renamed making allusion to cannabis and lady parts.  Ever since that day, whenever a lady dressed in green meets him, he breaks down in tears and starts attacking random passerbys"

Just thinking the whole "outrage" on this thread is well.......... not sure if silly, trolling, overly self-righteous, overly dramatic, or different combinations of the above.  Specially seeing how many governments get away with the most awful evils humanity has to offer without a single molotov being thrown in protest while Miley's hoo-hoo is THE no-no.

• Like 2

My policy is to remove all names of any sort from coins, usually by clicking remove, backspace and enter. With this process I rarely even see the names attached to them. Still, to allow coins to contain names that are obviously insults made to annoy or defame others is not a good game practice; therefore, the easiest remedy is to just remove this anonymous insulting capability. Were it just as simple for the Dev's to spank these naughty children, that would be the better solution.

=Ayes=

Walls of text everywhere \o/ I suggest you all take a can of grow the up, its only a game afterall, focus on something on the game that has relevance...

• Like 1

For the record I don't approve that childish form of trolling but........... 

That said.......... 

Knowing trolls, specially the kiddy ones.............. 

They now have their own 7 page thread which I'm sure is destroying their hearts................................. 

Starve them next time eh.

Meh, it's a coin. You find it's rename offensive, fun fact, you can rename it yourself, either just to remove whatever text offends you or to put your own witty spin on things. Literally takes 2 seconds to remove it, which is much easier than the myriad things in real life that will likely offend you and you will be unable to change.

There's a guy in HotS on chaos with a real offensive name, but you don't see people bitching about that now do you?

• Like 1

Again. Remove all possibilities to name items. Problem solved.

/sarcasm off\

Jeez. So much QQ over probably some "inside" joke.

Lock this thread already :D

Never mind being personally offended, but: those coins travel from Chaos to Freedom. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that Daolin is someone playing on Chaos. I've never been to Chaos, but this certainly doesn't advertise that part of the game community as being mature and respectful while PvP'ing. Instead, the immediate assumption is that namecalling is the order of the day and quite frankly, that reeks of immaturity and a frustrated PvP community.

So why allow people to abuse game system (anonymously) to spew propaganda, when there's a simple fix? And I don't mean removing the ability to rename, I mean making it possible to add items to a /support. Which is the sensible suggestion and thus has been ignored by all the nay-sayers so far.

That said, I'll happily take your propaganda if I can keep the coin. ;)

Just one more thing to give pvp servers a bad name. Not sure why you can rename a coin anyway.

Just one more thing to give pvp servers a bad name. Not sure why you can rename a coin anyway.

You find me offensive? I find you offensive 

For finding me offensive
Hence if I should draw a line on any fences
If so to what extense if
Any, should I go? 'Cause it's getting expensive

• Like 1

I prefer the coins as they are, people can and do be offensive in chat - but you can't just stop people swearing altogether, whether that be on a coin or not.

It doesn't bother me to see offensive coin names, you can always change them when you see them.

Coin naming should stay in Wurm regardless.

YOU can be a part of the solution........ 

Dedicate 10 minutes a day withdrawing and re-depositing coins, rename anything offensive you find.

I'll just keep renaming any and all coins i come across to ACME.

I don't want to see renaming removed. No-one wants to see chat channels removed because people can use them to be abusive, therefore it is illogical to remove a feature because of what people type.

I would like to see all naming/renaming capable of being moderated, since this is what the rules give us to expect of the game.

If you don't think this is something that could offend you, imagine a situation where it wasn't meant in jest, aimed at you, and circulated throughout the Freedom Isles with nothing that could be done by the Devs. If you're that thick skinned that nothing could hurt you, there's a good chance you're hurting others because you have no reference for how things can make them feel, and feel so proud of that fact that you deride them for being 'inferior' to you, and that is in itself bullying. Just saying.

I don't want to play a game that drives out everyone but the thick-skinned macho hardcases. At the same time, I don't want to play a game where everyone is held so strictly to rules of conduct that you can't crack a joke to someone who can take it.

Maturity and responsibility is a lot to ask of any large group of people, especially one with such mixed age-groups and backgrounds. Teenagers especially will be rebellious and test every rule and search for loopholes. I'm not advocating for a fluffy-bunny environment that keeps people wrapped up in cotton wool from the real world. But I would like the moderators to have the ABILITY to trace what is effectively player-made-content if a mechanism is capable to being used to break game rules and could potentially be used to victimise someone with no consequences to the abuser. I'm not talking about silly kids and their pranking, or lads having a laugh; I'm talking about people who have a well developed skillset of subtle abuse behaviours that could use this mechanism in a conflict that has set them off. I'm talking about protecting people who might be considered legitimately vulnerable, not just an idealised idea of innocent kids or people who will complain over anything because they can.

In my experience, a lot of social-conflicts that escalate are centred around people intervening on behalf of someone they feel needs protecting, rather than someone personally taking offense. If these people feel the moderators do not have the tools they need to deal with real abuse when it happens, then they feel perfectly justified in taking things into their own hands, which is NOT what the Devs want to happen.

Make renaming of coins tracable to the author, and make it easy to report. Other than that, leave the mechanism alone.

• Like 5

I should rename all coins i get, then withdraw new ones from token and put those back in too, all day long!!! MOAR WKM COINS!!!

In JKE, we did that, but we renamed them to a name that most of us did get banned for...

In JKE, we did that, but we renamed them to a name that most of us did get banned for...

That explains the Miley coins...... 

Maybe make it so that when a coin is extracted from a bank, it comes out stamped with the deed name or player name from witch it came.

If its really a major problem, then make it so GMs can track who renamed (not sure if they cannot already).

If its really a major problem, then make it so GMs can track who renamed (not sure if they cannot already).

If GMs could even see last owner of the coin, it wouldn't be very reliable as many people just take coins out and put in without even looking, I know I don't look

Exactly... even the last renamer might not be the one persay.

Again no idea if even the Dev-level-of-access tracks such data.

I got a zalifear is a thief coin yesterday. This has to be monitored soon, it is getting a problem.

Some people just have childish behaviour. Often because they are children. If it could be traced and a GM could speak with them like the naughty child they're then great. If that is not possible then just delete the name from it and ignore it. I wouldn't want to see the removal of the naming of coins as it often used by people to promote their deed or trade. I must admit there have been some ones which have obviously been from troubled minds, however there have also been some amusing ones. One that made me smile was "Aeris has a nice ass." A fact that I been neither able to confirm or deny, however I am prepared to see whether or not this is a fact :) 

• Like 2

Before the Dev's forbid offensive coin names I would like to see a standard established for what is "offensive" in character names themselves. Some character names I have seen are absolutely disgusting. As long as players can create characters with filthy names complaining about offensive names on coins is useless.

Edited by geode

I say hats off to Daolin..for when someone resorts to that kind of behavior..it is a good indicator..in pvp world..that Doalin is doing something right..n doing his job.

to insert some humor into an unpleasant discover..i'll note that his accent is suave enough to entice all sexes...maybe they are bitter from being swooned

• Like 1