Sign in to follow this  

I tested with 5 tiles apart and also tested the differences in soul strength, which made little difference. Range also seemed to make not much of a difference but if you want to test it be my guest. The difference in range should affect all spells equally so the dps and damage reduction (if noticeable) would still be the same. Although if you are looking at the difficulty of spells rotting gut only has 10 while vyn and mag have 20,30.

I'm not saying I think you draw wrong conclusions from these tests, I'm just trying to point out that they are not necessarily representative for combat as I believe that due to range difference the cast power will in general be lower.

On top of that, Worm brains only deals more than 20 damage when the cast is (approximately) >93 power , keep in mind that this spell is 60 difficulty. So the scenario you sketch where 5 priests kill someone in 1 rotation is, while possible in theory, extremely rare (It's the equivalent to having your entire horse gear set enchanted with >93 power casts in 1 try (assuming BOTD), I've never even had 3 93+ power casts in a row let alone 5).

I will try running some tests to see if range affects difficulty, it's a pain though because you keep getting 3 to 5 minute long overheat debuffs after 4-6 casts. I will update this post later (1-2 days probably).

I agree with you that removing damage reduction is not an option and would not even come close to balancing things out. Everyone seems to miss the word balance as in close to equal and think that any change will result in there being a massive imbalance, which is not what people want.

Well.. what can I say, we know Rolf, we've seen Wrath of Magranon go from an absolute wrecking ball to being useless except for fancy lighting effects. Can't blame my fellow BLers for being worried that Lib's biggest strength might get balanced by the one responsible for that kind of "balance".

The damages does not stack is a poor excuse because when you get more than a 25 damage wound you cant heal it all the way with cotton/salves nor efficiently. The timer on the heal increases dramatically as a player receives more damage so after 2-3 casts the person might as well /suicide (as seen when Ausumus died) because if there is a 45 second timer on one wound the that player will die to spells before it can be bandaged. The wounds can also not be healed in parallel like white light spells so no mater how many people you have healing one wound it wont go any faster. The only exception to this is fo's cure x spell or lt on a weapon but like I said if you don't have a fo priest its faster to just /suicide. Also usually you don't have a swarm of wild cats next to you to stab a few times and even if you do you still have to take on extra damage to try and heal.

I do not think it's a poor excuse. In fact, I think "there's not always a Fo priest around to heal it" is a poor excuse. As a WL kingdom it's a challenge to find the right amount of priests of each god for a pvp group. Simply going into a boat fight against lib priests (who are, after all, supposed to be the most aggressive type of priest) without a healer is a poor tactical choice ESPECIALLY if your boat captain insists on hanging around within casting range but outside melee for long amounts of time. I recall 2 knarr fights against MR where MR had 2 fo priests on their boat, the first time we circled around getting casts but they outhealed us and managed to kill some of our guys before we decided to retreat into a boatmine. The second time (13BL vs 13 MR, MR had 2 fo's, BL 4 lib's) the fight lasted 21 minutes, where the first death only occured after 10.5 minutes and in melee combat(our casts were being outhealed). When both their Fo priests were finally dead, the battle was more or less decided.

When you're talking about countering healing spells, the absolute last thing you want to do is stack wounds (RT sucks, shocker) due to the way how these healing spells work. Hell, if we're running around in BL enchanted gear and get into a fight with a Fo priest in WL gear, we need to hit him 6 times (assuming no wounds stack, which is never the case) within 10 seconds before can actually say he's not outhealing us. Meanwhile, because he's running around in AosP gear, we have 6 wounds -- 3 scorn casts. Were we to attack the Fo priest with a FA/FB weapon, we would only need to hit him 3 times (= 6 wounds), 3 times in 10 seconds is tough, but a lot closer to being doable at least.

Now lets turn the situation around, our Fo friend has a FB/FA sword, and creates 2 wounds per hit. He only needs to hit us 2 times in 15 seconds (and should he fail to, there's a 10 sec cooldown so he has 25 seconds for his second attempt) before we can say that these hits can't be outhealed by the BL player (and this is assuming he's not overheating from the previous 3 scorn casts hue).

Of course, our BL player also has drain health, but drain health is the only spell that does not always fully heal wounds (nor should it), this spell heals (only on self) some damage every 13 seconds and doesn't come close to outhealing a weapon.

I'm starting to drift away from the topic here, but the point I'm trying to make is that, at least to BL (fighting against Fo), it makes a HUGE difference whether the damage we deal is stacked or not.

Yes, I have read the last 20+ posts saying that this is not a bug, but you guys seem to have not read my reason for putting it in here. I understand what you are saying but I still stand by what I posted (#19) which is the reason why it was put here in the first place.

Hmpf, fair enough, a bit of a misleading/provoking thread title if that's the bug you're talking about imo, especially looking at the topic tags and OP.

I too would like to see a dev respond to this topic and and clarify to us what their opinion on this mess is. And maybe, just maybe, they could consider discussing a change with the player base prior to implementing it.

Edited by Monokles
  • Like 2

I didn't read every post, but to me it doesn't sound like a bug that an internal wound would bypass any armor protection as it's internal.

Well.. what can I say, we know Rolf, we've seen Wrath of Magranon go from an absolute wrecking ball to being useless except for fancy lighting effects. Can't blame my fellow BLers for being worried that Lib's biggest strength might get balanced by the one responsible for that kind of "balance".

This might be the smartest thing I've read so far.

Wow, Monokles's posts are actually impressive. Can he be the BL spokesperson please? At least we can get some intelligent and on-topic discussion going. As far as balancing the BL spells with Fo heals, the only Fo healing spell you can cast on a boat is heal. It's a full heal, but it takes 30 seconds to cast where you are pretty vulnerable and have a gigantic silver or gold beacon sticking out of your side that screams "HIT ME I'M CASTING!!!!!!!" Light of Fo can't be used on the boat (no one needs me to say why, everyone knows this), and you can't cast cure light/medium/serious because you get the "too far away" message after moving a few tiles, just like using cotton.

Also, yes, I do tend to have intelligent conversation when others do the same instead of turning every thread into a tar pit.

1,000th post woo

Edited by MattSquare
  • Like 1

Wow, Monokles's posts are actually impressive. Can he be the BL spokesperson please? At least we can get some intelligent and on-topic discussion going. As far as balancing the BL spells with Fo heals, the only Fo healing spell you can cast on a boat is heal. It's a full heal, but it takes 30 seconds to cast where you are pretty vulnerable and have a gigantic silver or gold beacon sticking out of your side that screams "HIT ME I'M CASTING!!!!!!!" Light of Fo can't be used on the boat (no one needs me to say why, everyone knows this), and you can't cast cure light/medium/serious because you get the "too far away" message after moving a few tiles, just like using cotton.

Also, yes, I do tend to have intelligent conversation when others do the same instead of turning every thread into a tar pit.

1,000th post woo

if we are trying to balance spells why not take the time to do it correctly. balance both in water and on land for all priests