Sign in to follow this  
Audrel

SOE's EQ Landmark Closed Beta First Impressions

The only thing I really carried away from my day spent (that I will never get back I might add) looking at the Beta is my computer dies in a very quick hitting Voxel Lag Blackhole. FPS in most games I can hang 25-60 depending on if I want all the eyecandy or just enough to look nice and play at the same time. Not in Landmark. I hit 10 FPS standing still on the lowest setting. Moving it would drop to 1 if I was luck but usually it just complete stopped until it reloaded a billion vertices. I saw no difference in this lag on High visual settings or Low. It didn't seem to matter if there were "claims" built up or empty land.

Crafting is filling your inventory with stuff, walking to a machine, and pushing a button.
Exploration is tiny islands that all look the same and are mostly already all claimed.
Mining nodes run out very fast and are just scattered on the landscape. You do get to dig a lot of holes though. Also, you need a different tier pick for every tier of ore/gem.

Woodcutting is the same as mining. You need a different axe for each tier of tree.

Now the tiers. You need to do mining to do woodcutting to upgrade your mining to upgrade your woodcutting.

Or, you could just buy everything you need from the cash shop.

While it's beta, and going to be a bug ridden mess, it shouldn't be forgotten that the original goal of Landmark was for players to create stuff to use in EQ Next. It wasn't really meant to be a full game.

EQ Next is the thing to wait for. Landmark is just an opportunity for people to throw money at the company. It was intended for Landmark to just be creation and terraforming, but apparently they're adding combat and stuff to make it somewhat a standalone game for the current players.

Next is probably 2015, so is Black Desert outside Korea. LiF is unknown. Gloria Victis is most likely late 2015, but appears to be free PVP as does Archeage.

We're in a holding pattern for at least another 6 months. =/

That multiple pick and ax thing would be enough to no-buy for me.

That multiple pick and ax thing would be enough to no-buy for me.

Is the Sony Station down for you guys too? I got the Landmark closed beta invite in my email last night, and when I clicked the link to download the client I get "This webpage is not available." Tried it again this morning, same thing. I'd really like to try this out, hopefully I can get better FPS than the op. 

No need to buy through the store,  Infact the game is completely stepped away from p2W.

if you know what your doing, you can go from 0 tier to top in a matter of 4-5 hours. especially if you plan ahead, quicker if you have friends starting with you, and even quicker if you have friends already in the game.

You can create furnaces, lumbermills, alchemy stations, ect for your own area.

And, it was never intended really for this to be a game, though that is what it's turned into a lot of people now, It was mainly just for us to do building designs and things that the devs *could* put into Everquest next, it's also a way for them to do test for Everquest next..... Apparently Next will have the mining, woodcutting, and even building (though zoned I believe) Like Landmark does,  Landmark though has turned into a "sandbox" (somewhat) 

It's only just closed beta now?

I played this a few months ago for a little bit, didn't really tickle my fancy.

Movement controls were quite clunky, the same with building.

I appreciate that you can build overly complex things with the tools they give you, but I think I've got more that I need of that from playing Minecraft a couple of years ago.

These sort of instant-gratification building games don't really pull me anymore.

Ah. So its p2w. No thank you...

Nope, not even close. Infact you can't even win in it.... It's just building, you can buy cosmetic things, and ore/building materials if you want too, or you can mine for five minutes and have 10x what you would buying. xD

They make it Grindy at the beginning, but in later tiers it's laughable easy to get 500k+ of a resource, buying through the store isn't any advantage, except for visual clothes.

And even that isnt really that useful as for the combat being added to landmark here let me tell you this

What the devs have said themselves is that they released landmark as a place to test things next to a place to let people who want to build the buildings that you might see in eq next.

So take landmark as a testing grounds for now and when eq next is actually being released in the distant future landmark will become the building aspect of the game as they intent it to be but for now they will use landmark for testing of everything that they make and release to the public to test.

If you are looking for a fun online game to play dont buy landmark wait until eq next is released if your looking for spending a few hours every few weeks on a program that offers you building and resource gathering in the form of a game and you dont mind spending the money buy it now.

What most people seem to not realize (going off what boombza and so many others on so many forums have to say about landmark) is that what landmark is right now is no where near what it will be they call it an closed/open beta because its fancy but if you read what gets said you can see that its nothing but the early states of an dev build even before pre alpha thats all it is.

Landmark and eq next will become 2 different beasts with eq next being your mmo and landmark being the world editor thats their goal and its no where near it yet.

Also anything you buy now? is really just a waste considering anything and everything that is or will be on the store will be able to be made ingame or found ingame at some stage all the clothing they add now will be available from npcs or quests once they get added right now though buying it is the only way to get it and its mostly there for the fanboys or people with to much money to spare.

Fun read. Gave me something to do when eating dinner.

I think EQ landmark is also a means to test their code and idears, not just give players a means to create content that may or may not be used in EQ next. They may learn something from EQ landmark that changes their plans too. A lot can change between now and if/when EQ next is ever released for variety of reason.

I don't think it's a reach to say it not even be called EQ next? Who knows.

Lots of games are talked up and never come to be or never meet the expectations.

Edited by Lightonfoot