Sign in to follow this  
LaRue

Why did/didn't you move to Xanadu?

I haven't moved for 2 reasons.

1.  I have a nice place on the east coast of Indy and should be able to travel there for trade easily enough.

2.  I like a remote location away from the crowds, and want to wait a while to see where the remote areas are going to be.  I know, there are a lot of remote places right now, but Xanadu is having a massive influx of players so that is going to change a lot for quite some time.  Maybe late this year or early next year I will see how it is going and make a new village there.

Edited by Vroomfondel

I went to Xanadu and have skilled Digging, Woodcutting and Mining.

But there is so few monsters to hunt on Xanadu, so I am heading back to Deli within a month.

Xanadu is big, but if you really look at the map and count the water squares on the grid you can see that more than 50% of the map is water.

There is very little flat terrain, the steppes and deserts are very bumpy.

Too many and too high mountains, it just look weird to look at a grey cone sticking up.

And inside the mountains is just disaster, only 1 type of ore per biom sector, over a waste distance.

The iron veins exist everywhere at least, but they are very far apart also.

Too many tar pits.

Too many and too big clayfields.

The forests are bioms, containing 1 to 2 diffrent types of trees/bushes in a hugh area.

This is just me sharing my experience from Northwest Xanadu, and what I like and enjoy i know others might hate.

I came back to the game after a hiatus. While my deed decayed and was essentially lost, it made my decision to move easier. However, upon migrating to Xandadu, I realized what I love most about this game. It's not about the perpetual skillgrind or the amount of resources I can hog when moving to a new area.

I just love exploring.

The area that I live is not populated at all and there are tons of nooks and crannies to explore. The number of craters, valleys to traverse, dense fir forest to cut down, animals to slaughter, mountains to prospect, and lakes to drink from gives me a sense of wonder about the game again.

There are many people will often complain about lack of roads, market, and animals. But I am unphased by this lackness and continue to focus on the abundance of other parts of the new server.

Edited by deene
  • Like 1

go try it.

I hated it because:

I found the map hell to ride around on to get to one side to the other. It was very much valley enclosed by mountains, so you can't ride from one side to another.. which I love doing... we have these cool carts etc now but were still forced to use a boat to go anywhere. when I go on a hunting trip I like to be able to just ride all around the map and you can't do that with Xanadu because mountains constantly block you. 

I hated how I couldn't have a trader on my deed. if I want some SB or a twig or something else I want to be able to grab it from my trader not have to go all the way to the start deed. I wouldn't of cared if he made the so you can only buy from them and not sell to them, that would have been fine. 

although the map is large which I like, Most of it seams unusable due to insane slopes and far far too many cliffs and mountains everywhere. I do like the many lakes though.  may be one giant mountain and most of the rest of it flat/rolling hills instead of the huge amount. 

This is pretty much how I feel about Xanadu, I haven't explored the whole server but I did spend several days exploring and the terrain seemed unnecessarily harsh in a lot of places. For example, a lot of land but way too many hills/mountains close to the sea making the popular sea based deeds tricky to setup, particularly with so many new players who don't yet have high enough digging.

I love my large island based in SE Celebration and the Alliance we have formed there (even if I do regularly hop over to Serenity!!)

Edited by solmark

Moving around a server that size with such complicated and extreme terrain is just annoying. Add to that the amount of clay that's around, lots of rock, and the desperate need to make roads to allow travel around the retarded mountains, and you just end up with frustration.

It's probably great if you are a hermit or someone who doesn't travel much, but I'm irritated if I can't move around. Trading is going to cost more to have things delivered than the items will cost... 

EDIT: my main has returned home btw. I've got two alts helping my wife build a road, but once she's done with that, she's coming home too.

Edited by Delakar

I moved from Chaos because RL changes meant I no longer have the time or internet connection (I can currently log in for about 2 hours in the early morning when bad weather means I have a day off work before everything freezes for me >.< Thankfully I'm moving again in November) to maintain and fortify my deeds (evidenced by the multiple raids I was hit with).

I chose to head to the new server for a couple of reasons - I'm a hermit, so the size allows me to find a plot far from anyone else and yet has the features I'm looking for. Secondly, it wasn't already largely built up, so I can have an untouched area. The bonus is I've found a spot that has everything I wanted and is entirely off any route anyone else would ever want to take to get anywhere, and I have steep cliffs all around, so no one else will deed next to me. All in all, I'm very happy.

It doesn't sound like we have the same requirements from our gaming though, so I don't believe the above factors will influence your decision a great deal.

I have about 30 animals. If I could put them on a boat and carry them to Xanadu, even making multiple trips, I may consider moving. I'm not wasting 10+ months again for 5-speed horses and bisons.

A large flat seaside area would be nice, but from what I hear Xanadu is all about mountains again, just like Indy and Deli are, so here's another turn off.

Complaining about the lack of roads and tunnels is, quite frankly, stupid. Lets ignore the completely obvious, and move to a wild and unsettled map, and expect the most glorious of highways and roads magically be there! I can but /facepalm.

In agreement.

Although i have a deed on Xan, i've kept my home on Deli. They're very nearby one another.

my beef (gripe) and the reason i'd `never` move..  is the lack of mobs/environment

but travelling... you cannnot expect it to be easy.  That's kinda the point. 

Edited by Steveleeb

I was doubtful of Xanadu before the launch. What's new that was offered here? What was the draw besides "big being better", somehow? Being there for the second test for over an hour didn't allay those doubts. Hard to move around, little orientation, huge expanses of similar terrain. And too few mobs. In the videos of it afterwards I could see some geographical features being showcased that I had never seen before on any server.

So I decided to make an alt to explore it on launch. Just to see... ended up seeing amazing landscapes, and getting the impression that even when all the deeds are placed, it will still feel as if Wurmians are out there in a wilderness that separates the deeds/towns. That, and the beautiful gentle rolling countrysides and shallow, sandy coasts, as well as the amazing high plateaus and mountain valleys are what drove me to drive a deed stake into the ground. Smart move that - I wouldn't have done it if I'd have had to go back to a trader for a settlement form. I felt that this server wasn't just a big marketing fad (obviously as the marketing hasn't happened to that extent :P), but that the devs were actually trying to push their game beyond its current boundaries.

2RfPDgx.jpg

I also felt excited that the P&R cluster got connected, and the community seemed to merge and mingle on this new continent. I was half-convinced that, after an initial phase of excitement, the new continent's population would implode, and on a server that size the loneliness of vanishing communities might be felt even more strongly. At the time, it seemed an odd move to add so much real-estate to a game with a slowly dwindling player-base. The effects of that decision would certainly have a negative impact on upsetting the established communities of the old servers.

I'm certain that the enthusiasm for settling anew on Xanadu will hold up for a while, and the developers' wish to put Xanadu right at the heart of Freedom rather than on its fringes (as has happened with all previously released servers) will work out at the cost of the other servers, for good or for bad. While I loved the smaller, closer community of Release and my alliance there, I felt that I wanted to be part of this. The server's kchat is almost as bad as global, and as with many other things Xanadu imposes a new need for more regional communication channels and contact management. I've met a fair share of new people, have a new alliance as well as active neighbourhood, except that even my closest neighbour lives out of local.

On Release I lived as a socially inclined hermit, with trade and friendship relations to people nearby and further away. Even though I was removed to an area that for the better part of the first year saw very few people, in the end there was a steady list of names in local - not all of whom I had dealings with or met in person. This is the kind of anonymity that comes from living in crowded places, where you're involved with a select crowd within a certain radius, but don't necessarily mind the people around you.

On Xanadu with its regionalism, I have met all people I've seen in local except in the hubs, and often travelled to meet a friendly face or a someone to trade with. I feel that the distance doesn't detract from the dealings I have with people, but makes them even more worthwhile. I like the fact that travel is not simple, but look forward to establish roads and mountain passes to aid in exploration and trade over the continent. I've set up my deed pretty deep in a bay with mainland access (if you disregard the mountainside that's in the way :P).

To be fair, I think most people are just travelling the outer coastline expecting good (flat) places to deed and are disappointed. The mountain ranges divide the flatter land into regional sections that will have more in common, with obstacles to trade between them. It is up to the players to shape the connections between these regions. Compare this to Release: I could travel to most of the server in 15 minutes, and to virtually all of it in under an hour maximum. Most forests you could see the far edge as soon as you travelled a few tiles into them (if they were not divided up by deeds, anyway). Xanadu is a wholly different experience in this regard.

Edit: added image with some Xanadu impressions. :)

Edited by Marshlander
  • Like 2

After taking a break from Wurm for a year I came back and almost everything was gone. The only things left were my boats thanks to those who repaired them and the items my characters logged out with. The same day I came back I had setup a new deed on Celebration. Then a friend told me since I have to rebuild anyway I might as well do it on Xanadu. I disbaned and packed up the Knarr then headed out. This new server is amazing. We setup on one of the many lakes over this week. Moving over to Xanadu allows the people who stick around to build up the economy and infrastructure. With a server this size it's a massive undertaking. I am going to enjoy working with the other players to accomplish these lofty goals.

After taking a break from Wurm for a year I came back and almost everything was gone. The only things left were my boats thanks to those who repaired them and the items my characters logged out with. The same day I came back I had setup a new deed on Celebration. Then a friend told me since I have to rebuild anyway I might as well do it on Xanadu. I disbaned and packed up the Knarr then headed out. This new server is amazing. We setup on one of the many lakes over this week. Moving over to Xanadu allows the people who stick around to build up the economy and infrastructure. With a server this size it's a massive undertaking. I am going to enjoy working with the other players to accomplish these lofty goals.

Hehe, was getting curious why did you found and disband so quickly.

Welcome back to Wurm and enjoy the new adventure !

I did not because I am perfectly fine with my spot/deed on Pristine.

That and the aspiring blacksmith in me doesn't want to give up the two utmost iron veins below my deed :P

You should stay with your deed. Xanadu is horribly flooded with grass and trees. Its deserted. -_-

View hidden Post