Sign in to follow this  
LaRue

Why did/didn't you move to Xanadu?

Or, Convince Me Not to Go to Xanadu

I live on Release, and I have been resisting moving to Xanadu. However, each day I find more reasons to leave, and no more reasons to stay. Before I make a decision, I'd like to hear why other people did or did not make the move.

Here are my own reasons, in order of descending importance:

Reasons to Stay:

• I've invested a lot of time and effort into my deed and other things which cannot go to Xanadu with me.
  • Small, friendly community of people I recognize.
  • Xanadu is insanely huge and traveling by land sucks thanks to the massive walls of mountains everywhere. Sailing for hours sucks too.
  • Personal indignation of the appeal of a shiny new server =/

Reasons to Go:

• I enjoy the animal-related activities in Wurm, and breeding/taming is not a service that can be provided across server boundaries. More business on Xanadu.
  • The future: in two years, what will the smaller servers be like? Empty? Will I end up having to move to Xanadu eventually anyways? If so, I should move sooner rather than later.
  • More active community
  • Greater availability of services and products (eg, 90 weaponsmiths)

Notable Non-Factors:

• The current creature count on Xanadu, while important to my interests, will be fixed. Not a problem. Other issues, such as lag, are also probably temporary.
  • I don't mind having lots of new players around.
Edited by LaRue

Go and try for 4 days, if you dont like it, then sail back home.

I'm headed there now for the dragon slaying. I suspect, though, that a bit of wandering around the server for a few days will do little to address my primary considerations, which are more long-term.

I didn't go pretty much for the same reasons you're still at your place, plus for one I still believe Xanadu is all eye-candy, and too big to be sustainable, sure there's more space, but as you can see all the nasty stuff on Wurm is exacerbated with Xanadu's size, finding creatures spread out through that much area is crap, travel times are immense, Resources are bound to be farther apart (i mean clay, tar, and such, as well as regional ores).

I still see xanadu as a big PR stunt simply there to give a bit of money boost and to divert the attention from the negative image caused by the latest Rolf stunt.

After all the time and effort i've put into my deeds, i'm sure as hell not just gonna disband it all and move to xanadu just because its new and big.

• Like 4

Open land far from other players, free to build a massive new project.

No way or reason to leave my deeds - I just love Cele. And I am sure there will be new players and new deeds on it soonish.

( I am secretly plotting to rulez over Cele )   :ph34r:

Xanadu is overrated  :P

Edited by Syrann

I agree. I own 2 deeds on Release and live on a small island with every resourses there or nearby. I have pigs,horses,dogs,cows and deer. I cant leave. The only problem is recruiting is harder now.Xanadu is maga and lined with huge mountains. WIsh there was a way to sail to the other servers without going though Xanadu

i think except for its size that xanadu is similar to other "new" servers, much hype but in the end it IS kinda starting all over with new plans/projects and I felt a bit scared away by all those lakes, making travel probably a little difficult.

Besides I wanted to stay with my community projects :) and with my old deed that I have since I started wurm, so starting all over on a new server? no thanks. And neighbourhood in indie got nicely quiet because of people moving to Xanadu, so I'm enjoying that ^^

No pvp there. Plus I seen what a nasty clusterform independance is and I can only imagine how bad it will be on a massive scale.lol

Its not a pvp server.

Only reason I even ended up poking around the more interesting terrain was due to me passing through trying to make it to the unique hunts (unfortunately I missed quite a few of them... ah well).

Though I might have stuck around longer if the hunting spawns weren't so low.

go:

- I believe it will have less creature densities then Deli. I hate mobs.

- Large server with lots of areas to explore and I don't need a boat to explore them. Although, there seems to be a disparity of vein types other than iron.

- From a long term perspective having a huge player bases on one server is better. I know this from comparing my experiences with JKH, Indy (before the smaller servers where made) with being on Deli. I don't think Wurm will ever let us teleport, boats suck (slow and a hassle to go from boat to land transport), and if we do get flying it will likely be so nerfed it will suck too. Thus, interacting with other servers and the players on those servers is a hassle.

stay:

- Deli's relative flatness is one of the greatest features ever.

- Deli's smaller size makes it easier to trade with others and the land's relative flatness aids this.

- A good portion of land based knowledge is known. Its quite valuable to me that I can ask where to find trees, ore veins, whatever and get an answer.

The scenery is nice there, and that's about all it has going for it.

Terraforming is a nightmare, travel time is a pain, kchat is worse than gchat has ever been, no hostile mobs.  The only reason I spent any time over there was to help friends setup new deeds.  I've heard a few people who are thinking about returning to their old servers already.

• Like 1

I like the people on my home server, I like the hunting. I'm a breeder with 5s stock I'd have to replace if I moved over. I also have coastal property.

Xanadu just makes Freedom chat GL chat 2.0 I much prefer the smaller community.

• Like 2

The reason I did not move to Xanadu, was because I felt there was a very subtle personality difference between the people who went to the new server and the ones who stayed behind.  

I felt the new server would have more drama and conflict, attract more "loud" people who are highly achievement driven, and who use more "aggressive" interactions with others. These people would find the old servers now too "boring" and limited.  On the new server there would be entire forests deforested and giant structures would be structured, while on the older servers things would slowly return to a naturalistic environment (which we as players can escalate by reforesting unused areas and removing abandoned pavement and stonework.)   Thus, the old servers now suit me to a tee (tea?). In real life, I stay out of cities completely and my preference is for tiny rural towns where you know everyone and no one is ever in a hurry to get someplace. I lived on a beach in Alaska and in a log house in Oregon (with real bears in the yard) , and I would wither and die in Los Angeles or Chicago.

I am quite content to stay behind and have the old worlds "shrink" in size, while the majority rush off for the "exciting opportunities" of a new world.   I saw all of those gorgeous screenshots of the Xanadu landscape, and I hesitated. It was so pretty! Maybe ... Then I visualised what those same places would look like in a month, and for years to come, and I shuddered and opted to stay behind.  I have about 2500 tree sprouts saved up now on Indy, and I intend to plant every one of them. This is going to be such a beautiful place!

You can have your Toyko and Manhattan, I want my Lost Springs

It's just who I am.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

I haven't "officially" moved but i've spent most of my time since it came out on xanadu, mostly because...

1) Exodus is half-dead right now, barely breaking 50 online at primetime.

2) New land, with lots of opportunity to do something cool

I moved because I wanted a large deed to build a huge farm. I also had nothing on the other servers so it was an easy decision. It was really nice to be able to place a deed and not have to worry about other people perimeters.

When I started playing years ago, after arrival on Freedom (Independence) from Golden Valley, I set up a small camp spot close to the starter Village (Samling). Never being one to travel much but rather to start a new deed, I found a small undeeded area on a steep hillside. Over the years since I have always lived upon that deed, expanded it, terraformed it and built up the interior fairly to capacity; thus, there was not much further for me to do to develop the deed and I found myself playing on a few alts with deeds on other servers. Consequently I was just sort of wasting away there with my best character, using others mainly who were less skilled.

Since moving to Xanadu it has been a pleasure to work upon my new deed with my main highly building skilled character. A lot to do there with no rush to complete anything but to see the gradual process unfold as steps are added to the creation process is very enjoyable. Xanadu being a new server the fresh areas there have never been disturbed by others or mined into to disrupt any initial transformation of the areas, which makes creating a new deed according to ones desires unobstructed by these previous changes.

To me the game is all about transforming the lands into something appealing, which having a deed enables in a lasting way. I have no regrets about the deed that I have left behind. That area can slowly slip back into the wilds of Wurm over time, decaying away as a fading memory of the past. My focus is upon the present, since that is where current actions can have an observable and transforming effect. As for the future, there is no stability in that direction, merely a vision of what is hoped to unfold.

To each their own. Possibly it is of interest for the OP the read of others reasonings for either staying where they are living currently or traveling to Xanadu for new experiences there; but, for myself they would have little influence upon my decision to either stay or go. As within life, the path chosen is best left in ones own hands, as well as the consequences for doing so.

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

• Like 3

#1 - Independence wasn't killed by the Xanadu migration, unlike Celebration and Exodus.

#2 - I'm upset at the depreciation of every other server's great works, all for the sake of a server nobody really wanted and a money-grab. (Land Rush)

#3 - Xanadu scares me. It draws parallels to the wurmpocalypse.

• Like 1

I moved to Xanadu

Personal hypothesis having no foundation other than past experiences with pretty much every MMO since Ultima Online went live.

Purely from a business operations/financial side:

Given the size of Xanadu, mediocre existing server populations etc, I am convinced at some point, despite claims to the contrary, that a "motivation" will be presented to coax the "legacy servers" population to move.  Be it "The new bridge/3d mine code cannot be applied to legacy servers" or some  other reason, people  will be compelled to move from other freedom cluster servers to Xanadu.

At that point, a period of time will pass and then "Legacy Server populations are simply too low to financially warrant their continued operation.  All deed holders have 30 days to move belongings from their deed to Xanadu prior to permanent server shutdown".

Could be wrong, but my deed name of The Eventuality speaks towards my betting this will come to pass.  It just makes sense from a business and software/server/infrastructure management perspective.

I've lived in villages throughout my experience with wurm and thought this new server would be a great opportunity to found a place of my own.

I lived on deli, and where I lived I rarely came across people. I wanted to live in a place that had a relatively small, and kind community. The land is so big I was able to find just what I was looking for. Now most of the time I spend my wurm days on a peaceful plot of land conversing and trading with my neighbors (which I never could do before because of the low count of players on deli, specifically in my area ).

There are a lot of valid points as to why you should stay on your server. And I agree with a good amount of them.

But if you do move to Xanadu I'm sure you can find a nice place like your old one :)

And it's always nice to have a change in scenery as well.

I didn't go pretty much for the same reasons you're still at your place, plus for one I still believe Xanadu is all eye-candy, and too big to be sustainable, sure there's more space, but as you can see all the nasty stuff on Wurm is exacerbated with Xanadu's size, finding creatures spread out through that much area is crap, travel times are immense, Resources are bound to be farther apart (i mean clay, tar, and such, as well as regional ores).

I still see xanadu as a big PR stunt simply there to give a bit of money boost and to divert the attention from the negative image caused by the latest Rolf stunt.

After all the time and effort i've put into my deeds, i'm sure as hell not just gonna disband it all and move to xanadu just because its new and big.

I agree that Xanadu is too big, but I don't believe its appeal will wane much compared to the other servers. The great majority of new players start on Xanadu, and there's really no reason that will ever change. And, like it or not, a steady inflow of new players is what keeps a server alive.

"Legacy Server populations are simply too low to financially warrant their continued operation."

[...]

Could be wrong, but my deed name of The Eventuality speaks towards my betting this will come to pass.  It just makes sense from a business and software/server/infrastructure management perspective.

This worries me as well. It won't be today, it won't be tomorrow, or even next year, but there lies a worrying possibility that some sort of merge or migration might happen somewhere down the line. If it will happen, then there's little point in delaying the inevitable, right? Might as well just move now and get a head start.

I agree that Xanadu is too big, but I don't believe its appeal will wane much compared to the other servers. The great majority of new players start on Xanadu, and there's really no reason that will ever change. And, like it or not, a steady inflow of new players is what keeps a server alive.

The reason it will change is the same as why it changed from Inde, to Deli, to Exodus, to Cele, to Pristine, to Release, and now to Xanadu. As soon as the devs feel the need to do a PR boost, and release a new server, that new server will be the new starting area for new players. Not to mention, What new players?  I'd say 1/10 (being generous) new players last longer than a week. Even those eventually go after a couple months, because it doesn't get any better.

This worries me as well. It won't be today, it won't be tomorrow, or even next year, but there lies a worrying possibility that some sort of merge or migration might happen somewhere down the line. If it will happen, then there's little point in delaying the inevitable, right? Might as well just move now and get a head start.

If that was ever an issue, the PvP would have been extinct for a while, even with the exodus to Xanadu, the average pop on PvE is the same as the most populated PvP servers, Chaos at twice the size of all PvE servers except inde has the same pop as most of them. I doubt they'd ever shut down servers unless the pop dwindled to like 50 premium players per. At this point the decline in population is to be expected, but still more than half of the pop of all servers remained at the original servers. Looking at the graphs i'd estimate about 20-30% decline on old servers. Which might in time regress, due to the issues with Xanadu in general.

Given the size of Xanadu, mediocre existing server populations etc, I am convinced at some point, despite claims to the contrary, that a "motivation" will be presented to coax the "legacy servers" population to move.  Be it "The new bridge/3d mine code cannot be applied to legacy servers" or some  other reason, people  will be compelled to move from other freedom cluster servers to Xanadu.

If that was ever the intention, the it would be seriously retarded to launch Xanadu way before bridges or 3D mines are done (as far as 3D mines go, not more than a wish at this point afaik). I mean Xanadu is set on the same architecture as the current servers, if anything, what could happen would be the reverse, that Xanadu's size would make it impractical, or impossible to reseed the underground to create the 3D mines.

Edited by KanePT

I went and stayed, until mobs work properly on the massive xanadu server, I would argue against bring your main toons over, i am very glad to still have my exodus deed/s to go play on and hunt from. i wont even be considering xanadu as a permanent home with mobs the way they currently are.

If that was ever the intention, the it would be seriously retarded to launch Xanadu way before bridges or 3D mines are done (as far as 3D mines go, not more than a wish at this point afaik). I mean Xanadu is set on the same architecture as the current servers, if anything, what could happen would be the reverse, that Xanadu's size would make it impractical, or impossible to reseed the underground to create the 3D mines.

I wasn't clear then.  I was  simply citing an example of a motivating statement that would most likely have no bearing in reality to get people to move, regardless of it being real or not.  The reason I cited was probably false, but also something obviously too "black box" for us as players to disprove either way.

The reason is irrelevant.   It will something that we as players wont' have the ability to disprove and be of sufficient value to a large portion players on the fence to get them to get off the fence.  It doesn't have to be real at all.  

Something akin "uggh...sorry players, due to legacy code optimization issues, only Xanadu will have sub 100ms ping times.  Legacy code on the old servers means the best we can do is 1000ms latency.  We show plenty of undeeded space left on Xanadu, but you are welcome to remain on the older slower servers"

Ya, cynical is my middle name