Sign in to follow this  
Aeris

Stumps

Personally, I think they should add just a bit of woodcutting skill to removing stumps.  If they did that, I think many that leave stump forests behind wouldn't because they want the skill increase.  Shouldn't take that much code change either.

I like this idea a lot.

I think the stumps are graphically a nice touch.  It's like trees actually falling, it's not necessary but it's a nice bit of immersion.

I also wish we could use stumps for something.  Carve them into a statue, or use them as a base for a large flower pot, etc.

Right now, they are a nuisance but I think they're worth salvaging.

Ya know..first  put

(1)  Woa shovel in inventory

(2) Activate shovel.

(3) Find spot where 4 tiles converge with stumps and dig one dirt.

(4)Drop dirt from inventory.

(5)All done and u got maybe some digging skill

(6)Now you have made it so you can plant whatever you like to replace the trees.

(7) RInse and repeat as needed :)

You wood really like to see these removed from the game woodn't you Aeris? Maybe you should branch this out into a separate suggestion thread. But really there's not need to act so cut by this whole issue although I can see plenty of people are stumped by this problem. I personally dont see this being such a big deal and suggest you stop being such a sap and pack your things in a trunk and leaves.

I love puns. When I can put together a post like this, I know my day has not been wasted. 

Edited by Emoo
  • Like 2

cricket_stumps_203_203x152.jpg

Saw the title and thought this was a long-overdue cricket post  :(

Edited by Pragmatist

The stumps are there to inform you what QL of tree you chopped down. If you're low skill or using a low hatchet, you can examine the stump and it will tell you the max QL before you go chopping the tree up.

Fails don't give a tree of your max WC QL, so always examine it after you cut it down so you know whether to choose skiller or high QL hatchet...depending on your purpose in cutting it (Skiller for low, High for QL mats). You receive body ticks/body str ticks for removing the stumps.

Also, stumps in real life tend to last pretty long until someone actually goes in and attempts to get rid of it...and many a person has given up once they realize how big the root ball on a tree actually was. You should be thankful it actually only takes a few seconds of your RL time, as a real tree stump can take over 24 hours to remove.

The stumps are there to inform you what QL of tree you chopped down. If you're low skill or using a low hatchet, you can examine the stump and it will tell you the max QL before you go chopping the tree up.

The felled tree itself will tell you the ql if you examine it.

The stumps weren't added to the game for that reason, either. Someone one day thought it'd be more "realistic" to throw them in the game. They were never suggested by the player base, just something one of the devs thought was a cute idea.

From day one, I looked at them as being unnecessary work added to my plate. 30 seconds to destroy is nuts and the fact that, untouched, they will stay for 3 days or more real time (while sometimes still having collision properties) is even more stupid. Nothing like walking through a field of chestnut or oak stumps (which cover the ENTIRE tile) and bumping into imaginary force fields every tile or so.

Of course I do the little dig, plant flower, pick trick. Less time than destroying the stumps, and far less time than waiting for them to disappear on their own... I just can't understand why the expiration timer on the stumps is so long. There is no reason they still exist 24 RL hours after you have chopped them down.

I thought Wurm players loved useless cosmetic details?

• Like 1

I don't mind stumps at all. It really isn't that much effort to remove them and they do add a bit of realism to the game. I like passing through an area and seeing stumps, thinking to myself, "Oh, someone has just cut down trees here. Human activity."

We want Wurm to be realistic. Sure, playability must be a factor, but if such a thing as a stump that takes just seconds to remove is a challenge, then we have a whole new problem altogether :)

Save the stumps!

PS: As you may have suspected, this message has been brought to you by a follower of Fo. Booyah!

No, we don't want Wurm to be realistic. We want wurm to be enjoyable to play since it's a leizure time activity we actually pay for, but feature after feature that noone's requested get added and instead of removing them they add more. Hello tortoises, if we can even find you.

• Like 1

No, we don't want Wurm to be realistic. We want wurm to be enjoyable to play since it's a leizure time activity we actually pay for, but feature after feature that noone's requested get added and instead of removing them they add more. Hello tortoises, if we can even find you.

You say we like it applys to more than your oppinion ×,×

Some of us like the steps to realism and are not turboOCD about tree leavings... some of even like the stumps. And I for one, anxiously await our shelled and waddling friends. I want a tortoise farm really badly...

Edit: and of all the mechanic and bug related problems Wurm has, your issue is stumps... orly

Edited by GorgonKain

I didn't say that noone wanted realism, he said we want realism so I said that we do not since I do not.

You don't have to understand why I find stumps to be annoying, that is your beef really. I still fail to see why they are a thing when they weren't a popular suggestion before being implemented and they have no function.

It'd be nice if we got both some use from it and faster decay. Few hours, one day at most would do just fine.

Also, how about stripping a stump for a wood (either log or a scrap) or a sprout.

Edited by Samool

The better to eat you with.

LOL!!! I don't know why I found this as funny as I did. I laughed irl.

I like the tree stumps, too. I find that they add a lot of atmosphere to the game.

I'd change one thing though, the model scaling of most of them is way off, I think.

Once you cut a tree, and the animation finishes, the stump becomes HUGE. That looks really dumb. It's as huge as a Wurmian character. Especially pine and cedar stumps.

So... fix the model's scaling maybe? :P

I see 2 problems with stumps.  The first is the error of a phantom tree you can collide with after it has been cut down.  The second is that the stump is useless and can't be retrieved, only destroyed.  The rootbase wood of a tree is called burlwood, quite dense and with so many knots in it that it does not have a linear grain to it, making it quite beautiful when polished.  This is often used for bowls, tabletops, and pipes from the items I've seen.  I'm sure that some of you can come up with more ways such wood is used.  Since they aren't likely to get rid of stumps, let's at least make them useful.

I also agree with Ulviirala, the stump should not gain size when the tree is cut down.  And from what I've seen as I finished chopping a tree, the tree gets bigger just after cutting too.  Seems the group that made the growing tree and the group that made the falling tree need to get together and agree on what size trees should be.

• Like 1