Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Large Crates - Caravel

There is absolutely no way to load large crates into a caravel without using the select window you just can not see them and be close enough to load them. I am sure there are issues with other large boats too.  

Maybe you can make it so you can drag them from your cart/wagon and drop them in the boat window and that will start the load sequence?

Edited by Kegan

Cogs have the same problem.  I tried for over an hour to get my cog into position to actually see the crates while being close enough to load them.  I couldn't do it.  I ended up purchasing a knarr.  While i love the knarr, I hate that my cog didn't work.

My response is in no way meant to diminish the validity of this issue.  Its something that should not require a work-around

With that said,  I haven't seen it in use, but I swear I saw someone had built a ramp on their pier running 3 tiles lengthwise to the pier.  The first two tiles were 20 slope, with the 3rd tile being in essence 40 dirt high above the near water level pier surface.  

I think the concept was to drive the cart/wagon up to the level tile, unload at the edge of the tile nearest the water and have the cargo be at eye level.

Again, not what should have to be done, but desperate times etc etc

• Like 1

You can load them via select window and you can get close enough but I do agree this is a bit of an issue. I heard this is fixed on the new models.

Source: Ive done it. My caravel I packed up Ultimarus into had several crates, looms, forges, etc. I didnt use raised dock platforms but I would imagine this would be the intent. You should raise a dock platform for it.

Edited by Ruger

Raised dock platforms don't work?

Well they should not have to you should just be able to load them even if you don't have a special area. Normally i just use my knarr but my alt had it on another trip and i had to move some stuff with the caravel. 

I'm of a differing view personally. If there's a game mechanic that supports impactful terraforming I support it. I don't consider this a bug report so much as a suggestion personally, but that's fine. No reason we can't have different opinions.

afaik the raised platforms do the trick, which I actually am excited to implement into my docks. However i'll +1 a work around for those wanting a different look

My response is in no way meant to diminish the validity of this issue.  Its something that should not require a work-around

With that said,  I haven't seen it in use, but I swear I saw someone had built a ramp on their pier running 3 tiles lengthwise to the pier.  The first two tiles were 20 slope, with the 3rd tile being in essence 40 dirt high above the near water level pier surface.  

I think the concept was to drive the cart/wagon up to the level tile, unload at the edge of the tile nearest the water and have the cargo be at eye level.

Again, not what should have to be done, but desperate times etc etc

This is exactly what I do for the Corbitas. It is 17 dirts and where the anchor hangs off the front is where you want to place your cargo for loading from the passenger position. Unfortunately, the first passenger position in a cog is the crows nest and that is 5 1/2 stories up. Since you can't reach through a wall, even if it is an arched wall, building a loading tower won't work. 5 1/2 stories would be about 110 dirts up to make a loading platform. A knarr is by far the easiest. You just sink a platform 6 dirts down into the water and sail into your cargo.

The easiest fix to this would be to allow reaching through arched walls or onto a "Deck" roof with no walls to load/unload. I guess writ security would need some love for that to happen though as it would have to check the location of the container for permissions as well as the location of the person loading/unloading to see if they are on a deed or not.

This and not being able to lead horses is the reason why i dont use big boats anymore. While on corbita you can lead it its not that easy and Cogs are just crazy to try to lead them.

i have 1 passanger in my mast, then i board as passanger and have good reach to my 20slope raised docks, quite easy to load them from there :) just need an alt account.

Imo solution to this would be to allow us choose the passanger seat we want to be in.

Edited by silakka
  • Like 1