Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

Milking

Main suggestion:

All female mammals should be milkable. Cows should produce the most milk while other mammals should provide less milk, with cats or rats producing the smallest amount.

Extra bonus optional more-realistic suggestion:

Female mammals should not be able to produce milk until after having given birth once. The amount of milk produced per milking should not be static and should vary slightly per session and decrease as the animal ages, possibly disappearing entirely at venerable.

As an animal ages, it will become less economical to keep it around, making culling them before a natural death for meat and leather an attractive alternative. Culling animals will counter the over-population problem being required to breed to get milk will cause.

As culling will play a greater role: Instead of beating animals to death with a weapon, there should be slaughtering knife you can use on any non-hostile animal that would insta-kill it. The success rate of insta-killing an animal should be based on your butchering and possibly animal husbandry skill, while a successful slaughter will award butchering and possibly animal husbandry experience instead of any fighting skills/subskills. Failing to slaughter an animal properly will just inflict damage against them and make them go hostile (forcing you to fight like normal as you can't slaughter a hostile animal).

I don't think this offers anything to game play unless you want to contribute to 'chores online'. There is nothing wrong with milking as it is now imo.

I keep telling people bison milk is delicious, and should be ingame. Lol at cats milk, but it has historically been used in tinctures and the like. Big +1 all around from me.

I don't think this offers anything to game play unless you want to contribute to 'chores online'.

I assume this is only a response to the Extra bonus optional more-realistic suggestion since the main suggestion adds more opportunity, not more work.

Lol at cats milk, but it has historically been used in tinctures and the like.

The reason cats aren't milked in real life is because it isn't worth the effort, but I think Wurmians should be allowed to decide if it is worth the effort for themselves, not have the game decide it on their behalf. It is the spirit of a sandbox game. Edited by Nmenth

Yes, but I also don't think there needs to be anything other than cow milk, cat milk I don't even know where to start with those thoughts. As I said I think milking is fine as is.

When I was a newbie, my friend and I started our new base where we currently have several cows. However, we didn't have those cows until quite some time after moving out there, as despite many scouting trips, there were none to be found. We did, however, find a massive number of deer.

Cows aren't always available, and while I'm not saying cat milking should practical, I am saying it should be possible. Milking horses, bison, deer, or whatever you manage to find should exist as a possible, even if less ideal, alternative.

Edited by Nmenth

I don't think this offers anything to game play unless you want to contribute to 'chores online'. There is nothing wrong with milking as it is now imo.

100% agreed 

+1 to more types of milk, after all, why not. Cow + Bison milk certainly makes a lot of sense. Goat milk too if we ever get goats. But I wouldn't make every creature milk-able, especially horses. Horses are already great for riding so they've got enough benefits as it is.

-1 to the Age part of the suggestion and to needing to use breeding in order to get milk. Realism is nice and all, but that part of the suggestion just forces people to have more animals. The age part of it doesn't do anything to reduce that effect either, as people will actually need to breed even more animals in order to replace the old ones. I believe we had age restrictions/penalties on animals in the past (mainly in the form of them dying of old age) and it just increased the amount of domestic animals as people bred more of them to counter the age penalties.

Edited by Ecrir

Yes, but I also don't think there needs to be anything other than cow milk, cat milk I don't even know where to start with those thoughts. As I said I think milking is fine as is.

Keybind would be nice. Unless someone happens to know one that works for it :/