Sign in to follow this  
Guest trmprognut

Laptop spec recommendations?

Looking for any current recommendations for laptop specs to play Wurm comfortably.  CPU?  Integrated graphics?  I don't want to buy a $1000 gaming laptop if I don't need to.  I appreciate any help!  Thanks!

You might want to expand upon what your expected play conditions are.

Multiple accounts? High graphics? etc. Just to make sure people make suggestions for what you're looking for.

im not sure how wurm works will intergrated intel gpus now, but i know they used to cause all sorts of trouble so id watch out for that

good core 2 duo and non intel graphics

amd a-6 will work well nuff mabye, ideally a-8/a-10 will be better

ideally core 2 quad/i3 or better if you wanna multitask/have multi clients

any i3/i5/i7 would work absolutly amazing

these will work--

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1J21AZ6504 ---duo core

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313719---quad core

this would be wonderful-(not for general gaming, itll work well for wurm and other very cpu dependent games, but anything gpu dependent wont run well, if at all)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152586

Edited by WhyThatPost

i  played wurm on a sony vaio with intel i5,3gb DDR3 ram and amd radeon 7560m and it handled pretty well, in fact better than my brother's pc running an early version of the i5 and a nvidia 9800 gt with 4 gb ram

but yeah as suggested stay away from integrated graphics,if the laptop does not have a separate graphics card then is not meant for gaming. Intel may brag about they'r integrated graphics and such, and there may be advantages to having the gpu so close to the cpu, but the real problem is that they can't ever fit 2 good versions of both inside the same chip, and not to mention that the heat created by one has an effect on the other.

I'd recommend getting a good i5 with a decent nVidia graphics card in it. If you get an i3 with only integrated graphics, sure it might be 100 euro cheaper, but you'll likely have to upgrade it again soon which works out more expensive.

If you have the money to invest in something middle of the line now, do so. Buying a lower end laptop will only leave you wanting more and still 200-300euro down the hole.

but yeah as suggested stay away from integrated graphics,if the laptop does not have a separate graphics card then is not meant for gaming. Intel may brag about they'r integrated graphics and such, and there may be advantages to having the gpu so close to the cpu, but the real problem is that they can't ever fit 2 good versions of both inside the same chip, and not to mention that the heat created by one has an effect on the other.

amd apus acculy work very well (well, not llano ones) my friend had a a8-6600k(desktop apu) that ran wurm at ~60 fps on good setting

intel intergrated gpus are the ones to stay away from(cept the newish ones that come in the really expensive chips, those can play bf3 at ~30+fps 720p and watch 4k vids/movies, but i think those chips cost a min of like high 200 usd or more)

and heat probs arnt there (again cept for llano)

Edited by WhyThatPost

Thank you WhyThatPost.  I was looking at a AMD A10 with Radeon HD 8650 from HP on Newegg.  Looks like that will work, but I need to look at an i5 and compare a little. 

Thank you WhyThatPost.  I was looking at a AMD A10 with Radeon HD 8650 from HP on Newegg.  Looks like that will work, but I need to look at an i5 and compare a little. 

not a problem

in general intel cpus are plain better, more IPC, less power consumption which means less heat, and better l2/l3 cache

however a a-10 is not in anyway a bad choice, especially if its more than 100$ less 

if the i5 one has a dedicated gpu then that will be better, through probably more expensive, the thing about wurm is, so long as you have a gpu that isnt intel intergrated itll most likely work(ive know a couple people that had like GT 610s in there rig, but had a i5 so still had very good fps), what will have the biggest effect on your FPS will be 1st your CPU then KINDA a little bit, your RAM(dont make the ram a deciding factor so long as its ddr3 and atleast 1066mhz)

for example my brother had a fx-6300 cpu and a ati 7870 gpu and i had a athlon x4 750k cpu and a 550ti gpu and we where getting very similar fps even though his gpu was much much better than mine, because our cpus had similar performance