Sign in to follow this  
poriums

mob spawns

You need to see if you can climb off your high horse without breaking your fool neck.  B)

[...]

The only ppl wrong here are those who are still trying to assert that there is nothing wrong with the spawn rate on Xanadu just because they saw a spider or a pig on the side of a mountain.

If you think I wait for mobs to come to my deed, you are very mistaken[...]

And I don't care how many mobs you have seen[...]

its still the same Wurm with the same problems

I didn't say everything was fine, but I do oppose the blatancy of saying there are no mobs anywhere. But since there is a lack of a flow of official information on the topic, speculating is all we can do. Maybe they even lowered the cap again without telling, who knows?

A pig and a spider, eh? I was not exaggerating when I said "hundreds of mobs". Not at all... and I'm not even wrong saying that most people are just lazy while not accusing someone in particular. Don't be so mad.

Having known Wurm for a long time and sailing past the face of the mountains many a time, you just expect that sight, as Kane said, that's Wurm. If only the code seemed to work that is supposed to make creature not walk on cliffs, but instead seek to move towards flatter land... well, let's just say that settling there might give your spirit templar more bang for your buck than it can handle.

Because if the cap was silently lowered, this is where a lot of them are hanging out now.

Had I only known in what hot furnace I was throwing my wood scrap in here... I would've taken screenshots or something. Because clearly, I seem to have a tendency of not being believed lately...

Edited by Ulviirala

Yeah, like there's a lot of new players on Wurm. By the thousands those.

And if you're sad about new players, then non-agro creatures are the best for them, aren't they. What are you sad about then, them not feeling the frustration of having a hellhound creep up behind them, and kill them, of having their corpse lost and being unable to find it?

I am not going to discuss the amount of new players there are in Wurm, as I have no idea. I just know there are some, and exactly which non-aggro creatures do you suggest I advise them to kill to get the furs for their beds?

And to Ulviirala:

I am sorry if I gave the impression that I didn't think there were any creatures anywhere. I thought that when I posted my map location, and included the range of the get-info ability, that I was being very specific about the area I see no creatures in. I live between 2 mountain ranges - and both have plateaus that with my climbing skill makes it possible to fairly easily climb - I was actually quite impressed to see that the mountains around me do seem to have natural "paths" winding up the mountainside, making it possible to get all the way to the top with very little climbing skill needed. These mountains however have no creatures I can visibly see, or can locate with the get-info ability. There is a bear den on one of them even. But still no bears seen. 

I actually think you are right about the lowered cap though. With no new creatures spawning until the new lowered cap has been reached, there are obviously going to be previously hunted areas that are void of creatures.

I don't get you people, Xanadu is nothing but what they said it would be, a Larger version of the other Wurm servers, making it larger only exacerbates the already existing problems. We all knew that chaos and inde have problem finding mobs even with 2x the cap of other servers to fit its size, of course that if you quadruple inde you'll have quadruple the land for the mobs to spread around, even with a larger cap.

Not sure what strawman you are beating... if you followed the thread, people aren't complaining about the mob cap, but that the server somehow drops further and further below it. The spawn mechanic must somehow not be working correctly, and that is something we couldn't have guessed from previous experience. Perhaps it's an "optimization" that went in to make Xanadu work after the tests showed some lag.

Also, some new mechanics have been introduced with Xanadu that aren't completely without merit - I'm just mentioning the deed stake, which makes deeding a lot easier, and doesn't require you to choose between spending money up-front before finding a place, or finding a place first, then hiking back to some trader, and then back again.

I'm with you that we have some problems showing up at a new scale, and a lot of new problems.... hey, this is what this thread is about!

Same on epic, Affliction once had a nice spawnrate, last week after the update it was back to normal. But in 1-2 days its back to trash amount of mobs again, hunting is a pain in the ass now and for newer players its loads harder to hit 70 FS now what will prolly result in more ppl quitting.

Pls fix.

it's curious how people here claim no official data has been released about, when there are official graphs about the aggro spawn directly feeded by the game system that shows we are now under half the aggro count that should be, all that AFTER the decision by the devs to reduce the mob count to half the other servers because of lag issues (like if this will really fix the problem).

If you want to discuss something, at least try not to be so evidently silly to ignore even these evidences.

Won't be on the hard side of the discussion, but seems to me that Xanadu was released too fast and without enough testing by the devs, that are now trying to "fix" (or at least i hope they're trying) the issues while we pay for play in a broken game.

• Like 1

Won't be on the hard side of the discussion, but seems to me that Xanadu was released too fast and without enough testing by the devs, that are now trying to "fix" (or at least i hope they're trying) the issues while we pay for play in a broken game.

When the tests for Xan where happening I tried multiple times to point out that a large server and many players is only part of what makes Wurm fun. Creatures, buildings, hordes of items are just as important elements.

To be honest I like how mobs aren't constantly in my face. I kinda wish Wurm could find a way to make it so hunting was available but also that mobs would tend to stay away from signs of civilization.

I'm honest too: i like a server where i can take a ride and not be killed just when i put a step out of my deed...but understand me: i take regular trips to 2-3 map tiles for hunting, and in these two weeks i've killed only 4 aggro mobs and a horde of dogs, bisons, bulls and horses, again, covering a surface of about 400 x 200 tiles each time, that have three different dens inside.

Missing Release spider hordes is something that can seem insane, but now i'm at that point!

Mob spawn is not what it should be on other servers either.  On Exo it very briefly returned to normal after sharks   now it is back to low ratio.

Yep, on Exo desert it was almost impossible to fight with only one mob at the same time because of amount of them, now the whole desert have 10, maybe 20 mobs present at the same time, so desert became really empty. I barely see any mobs while traveling, too.

it's curious how people here claim no official data has been released about, when there are official graphs about the aggro spawn directly feeded by the game system that shows we are now under half the aggro count that should be

If that was directed at me, please let me clear up what I meant by the lack of a flow of information. What I mean is, the dev team addressing this issue and the player complaints directly and publicly. Yet I'm not aware of anything on the website's news or the City Hall forum.

The last news seems to be the June 26 update, saying "Increased creature spawn rates and max numbers". And this is a very hazy note that does not state a definite number, or what servers are effected, if not all.

I'm pretty sure that most older players are aware of the graphs, but they're not telling you the reason, you only see an effect. There's a blip on most servers, except Xanadu, that shows a steady decline.

And to Ulviirala:

I am sorry if I gave the impression that I didn't think there were any creatures anywhere.

I must apologise if I made you feel that you were, that was certainly not my intention. I was only generally speaking about loose statements here and there, in another thread or global kingdom ingame. I can certainly relate to an area being relatively quiet. I live in the same spot for 5 years now, mobs and lairs come and go.

I think it's good and absolutely required that the players bring attention to an issue, but it works best if it's formulated objectively, and there are certainly people who participate in this discussion constructively, and gather useful information.

Hint, the OP is not one of them.

Edited by Ulviirala

Think of it this way, people. This whole low mob count business will give rise to three new professions:

1. Newbie bait runner (suggested earlier in this thread by Marshlander). 5c for a hostile brought to the deed.

2. Animal delivery service. Tame an aggressive animal, bring him to deed, leave, tame something else. 10c per creature. Extra for trolls and lava fiends. Rats are free (good way to spread your name).

3. Hostile animal breeder. Capture the few mobs that are out there and breed the crap out of them. Sell the offspring for hunting rights and food.

With a little imagination, this could be the dawn of a new era!

• Like 1

Not really since captives dont generate XP for FS

But the Devs stated they know this is a issue from numerous CA/GM's and that they are fixing it

Guessing they don't want to rush a quick fix since it could flood the servers it they don't know the underlining issues.

Yeah, like there's a lot of new players on Wurm. By the thousands those.

And if you're sad about new players, then non-agro creatures are the best for them, aren't they. What are you sad about then, them not feeling the frustration of having a hellhound creep up behind them, and kill them, of having their corpse lost and being unable to find it?

because u don' like a challange... ?? 'best for them' ?? u mean u get to choose what is best for me based on UR experience??  How about u crawl under a rock shard and allow new players to experience that hell hound death for ourselves. If i just wanted to build a house i'd have rooted out the lego from 1970's rather than pay to build one with major impossed limitations.

And if u open ur eyes for 1/2 second maybe - u'll notice wurm DOES currently does have a fair few new players

I am new to wurm and did not expect mobs to vanish within a week of spending $$,

i do what 99% of people 'spawning' in a new land would do.. look for area to settle with resources u need (1 was mobs, now gone!) and slowli (as our skills and tools allow) build up our settlements. Moving awa from our 'safe' camp in ever growing distances looking for further resources.

WELL i don't have big ships with sockpiles of food etc to go 3-4 hrs round trip hunting trips just to tr make a bed

Well in Deliverance there are a lot of mobs lately or I am the lord of the spiders, this was yersterday making a travel with my large cart:

a3cos3.jpg

because u don' like a challange... ?? 'best for them' ?? u mean u get to choose what is best for me based on UR experience??  How about u crawl under a rock shard and allow new players to experience that hell hound death for ourselves. If i just wanted to build a house i'd have rooted out the lego from 1970's rather than pay to build one with major impossed limitations.

Because i'm not retarded and for a guy with below 20 FS and no decent gear its best if you cah pick your target than having your target pick you

And if u open ur eyes for 1/2 second maybe - u'll notice wurm DOES currently does have a fair few new players

Yeah, where do you see that? By the flood of newbie posters asking for help here? Or Because there's several more accounts created to hold deeds in xanadu by old players?

I am new to wurm and did not expect mobs to vanish within a week of spending $$,

i do what 99% of people 'spawning' in a new land would do.. look for area to settle with resources u need (1 was mobs, now gone!) and slowli (as our skills and tools allow) build up our settlements. Moving awa from our 'safe' camp in ever growing distances looking for further resources.

Mobs didn't vainish, but this isn't your normal MMORPG where critters spawn in a certain coordinate and never deviate much from that spot. Here stuff spawns randomly, on random tiles around a spawner (50+ tiles around it), and they are subservient to a total creature count cap that can't go past X, also if you kill many aggros and don't kill many non-aggro critters (ie Templars) the total cap will remain, but it can happen that the non-aggros take over.

Also i'm pretty sure they fu**ed up again when they added the new sea creatures (sharks anyone?), so probably there's some 2-3 areas of ocean full of seals, turtles and crabs taking up the critter count for the rest.

WELL i don't have big ships with sockpiles of food etc to go 3-4 hrs round trip hunting trips just to tr make a bed

Well, read my initial post, you picked the huge server, don't blame me you have to travel for a long time to find stuff.

TBH, create spawns around my area did fall a bit a few weeks back, after the troll thing (during which i was having 5-10 hardened trolls a day, btw), now its back to its old mix of stuff, travelling 1-2 map tiles to my silver mine i ran into at least 10 scorpions, a croc, couple trolls, several lions and spiders, and that was go to the deed, grab a couple crates full of silver ore from the bsbs, come back. Took me 10-20m tops.

My friend finally found all the mobs on exodus. Got photo bomb.

t1CiJz2.jpg

• Like 1

Xanadu is bugged. I talked to staff about this and they are attempting to fix it - hopefully sooner than later they will manage. The animal cap is, for some reason, dropping far below what it is supposed to be at. In addition, the spawns are ridiculously concentrated in certain spots and there is simply nothing in other areas. I found a steppe with literally 400+ animals on it (mostly horses, I counted my kill logs) - yet you ride 15 minutes in any direction and there wont be anything spare a handful of pigs.

The overall creature count is declining - you cannot argue with a server graph that shows a decrease of over 40k.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 5

/me is silently being grateful for the troll mound nearby the deed  ^_^

Hey. I'm going to talk with Rolf about this when he gets back. Also, most of the programmers should be back here next week, so I'll see what I can find out from them.

• Like 6

TBH, create spawns around my area did fall a bit a few weeks back, after the troll thing (during which i was having 5-10 hardened trolls a day, btw), now its back to its old mix of stuff, travelling 1-2 map tiles to my silver mine i ran into at least 10 scorpions, a croc, couple trolls, several lions and spiders, and that was go to the deed, grab a couple crates full of silver ore from the bsbs, come back. Took me 10-20m tops.

was going to reply

Edited by poriums

Hey. I'm going to talk with Rolf about this when he gets back. Also, most of the programmers should be back here next week, so I'll see what I can find out from them.

That's great news, and confirmation of our issues is especially appreciated. It sometimes feels like we're talking to ourselves, so it's nice to get some validation! =)

Poriums, fishing and foraging (replaced by farming after a time) is the staple at the moment for Xanadu. 

I didn't even think about it until now but where is the food for Xanadu coming from with so little spawns?

Maybe its time to bread animals to feed ourselfs like in IRL.

I start fishing in case its not working. :)

but what I miss is the unting on the endless Pristine steppe :(