Sign in to follow this  
Drayka

Chat contact: less than a full friend

Would like to have the ability to add someone as a contact (or 'aquaintance'), rather than a full friend.

• A contact list would allow you to see if people are online or not, without an event message for every lost-link, disconnect or server crossing.
  • It would allow you to keep in touch with people without giving them access to things that require permissions.
  • As such it would enhance casual and trading relationships without compromising security.
  • Also a big bonus for newbies who love to try to friend anyone who is helpful to them, only to get declined.

Please allow us the ability to network with people without having to worry whether our stuff will still be there when we log back in. Friends should be people we know well and want to give permissions to, not everyone we might want to keep in contact with.

Additionally, I would love to see an option to add a tradesman/contractor/worker to a writ or deed, possibly as an extension of the contact list functionality, that would allow people to work for others without being a villager or a full-friend. Becoming a villager just to do contract work (or alternatively have the employer trust everyone in your village with deed permissions) is a real PAIN and cripples a lot of casual work offers.

Please see also http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/103951-unlootable-corpses/ which concerns the current alliance corpse-looting permissions. (The OP is not mine.)

Edited by Drayka
  • Like 9

i'd feel insulted to be on a 'contact list' only xD

imo best option would be to allow us add anybody as a friend across servers.

If they don't wish to have this option, evereyone could toggle it off.

If you know how to manage roles / citizen options on deed, it's quite easy to work with deliveries + hired workers.

Edited by silakka

If you would feel insulted by an invite to become a contact on first meeting someone, you're free to decline, as with a friend invite.

We have the option to censor bad language in text settings for people who are easily insulted.

I think more people are worried about letting everyone they friend access things (carts wagons boats) that they let their close friends access, and therefore are more insulted by strangers trying to friend them.

Edited by Drayka
  • Like 4

Would like to have the ability to add someone as a contact (or 'aquaintance'), rather than a full friend.

• A contact list would allow you to see if people are online or not, without an event message for every lost-link, disconnect or server crossing.

It would allow you to keep in touch with people without giving them access to things that require permissions.

As such it would enhance casual and trading relationships without compromising security.

Also a big bonus for newbies who love to try to friend anyone who is helpful to them, only to get declined.

Please allow us the ability to network with people without having to worry whether our stuff will still be there when we log back in. Friends should be people we know well and want to give permissions to, not everyone we might want to keep in contact with.

Additionally, I would love to see an option to add a tradesman/contractor/worker to a writ or deed, possibly as an extension of the contact list functionality, that would allow people to work for others without being a villager or a full-friend. Becoming a villager just to do contract work (or alternatively have the employer trust everyone in your village with deed permissions) is a real PAIN and cripples a lot of casual work offers.

Please see also http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/103951-unlootable-corpses/ which concerns the current alliance corpse-looting permissions. (The OP is not mine.)

Oh gods yes, this is sooo needed!!

I need to redo a anchor after i lost my source of led (deeded over) because someone on my friend's list used my rowboat and either forgot to moor it or took the anchor on purpose.

With current settings and permissions we really need degrees of friendship to avoid stuff like this. I mean the game mixes comunication with security too much. We really should have a friends list and a contacts list, one for talking and one for security settings (not respectively).

+1    The  all or nothing system means every few months I delete most on my friends list.  I would really rather have another viable

option.

I would prefer it if a proper permissions system was put in instead of tying it to any form of friends list. Currently there are several different permission systems in place, most of them which are tied to the friends list. The best system so far is the one used on mine doors, and it's also the one used in the least places.

There is an option to let "villagers in" on houses, but it doesn't actually do anything useful. All it does is letting them pass through the door, while what we requested back when the option was put in was an option to not have to add each individual villager to village resource houses - Which we still have to do.

My take on your suggestion would be that instead of making separate friends list for different things we separate the friends list from the permissions completely, and add friends list options as a useful tool to them insted. The permissions for boats, buildings, mine doors etc should first of all use the same formatting in my opinion. Since there are some functionality that can't be translated between for example a house and a mine door they can't look the same, but the formatting could.

The mine door functionality of being able to add names rather than groups should be kept, and the permission system could look something like this:

Manage Permissions

Allow following to Enter locked doors:

[] Citizens

--- Scroll list of village roles to allow---

[] Allies

--- Scroll list of alliance villages to allow---

[] Allow everyone to enter

--- Scroll list of friends list to allow---

[ Empty field for filling in names in ]

Add following to the house writ:

[] Citizens

--- Scroll list of village roles to allow---

[] Allies

[] Allow everyone to enter

Allow following people to Manage permissions:

[] Citizens

--- Scroll list of village roles to allow ---

[] Allies

[] Allow everyone to manage permissions

Allow following people to Embark as captain:

[] Citizens

[] Allies

[] Allow everyone to embark as captain

--- Scroll list of friends list to allow ---

Allow following people to Embark as passenger:

[] Citizens

[] Allies

[] Allow everyone to embark as passenger

Allow following people to Access the hold:

[] Citizens

[] Allies

[] Allow everyone to access the hold

And so on, clear and consistent formatting and adaptable to different situations.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 3

^ I would be happy with this, IF they also add a checkbox to game settings to allow me to turn off friend notifications echo in event tab. I'm rather attached to that part of my idea for contacts. Too many friends means endless green interruptions while what I really want to know is when a specific shortlist of people do something like login or change server. But if you could have by default, notifications off, and specifically allow notifications about certain friends to be echoed in event tab, that would be better.

By the way, you didn't mention how to incorporate private room permissions for inns in your master-plan. :)

• Like 1

By the way, you didn't mention how to incorporate private room permissions for inns in your master-plan. :)

Good point, that should be a thing!

Hmm, okay.

For all locked doors in a building you hold the writ for, right-click on door(wall), select 'make private'. This will generate a doorkey of the same quality as the lock. Private doors can only be walked through if you have the key, or a copy, in inventory. Private doors can be renamed and rename will show up on mouseover. Attaching a new door lock will cancel the private-status which can then be re-selected.

That should give people scope to create hotel-esk room-numbers/names, not get themselves irreversably locked out if they lose the key or don't get the copy back, and not interfere with writ settings.

seems like turning friends contact list into a town management function where you can add friends to different lists - this way they can not see you moving them up and down the lists

Aeris, do you mean typing a name in that is not on your list? That would be much preferable. It would make it so that I can have a "cargo house" and only the person coming to pickup a load can enter it and pick up inside it without me having to be there to A) load it all myself or B) Friend/unfriend then writ manage. I could go to dinner or bed and they can get their stuff and go on their way without both of us trying to at the same place at the same time in a world that has different time zones.

I would also like a division in "friends" where one is a "contact" and one is a "friend." I have far more contacts than friends. It's not that I don't trust some people per se but it is more that I have had limited interaction with them and don't know how much I trust them. RL example is you might let your best friend rummage in your closets without you watching but you wouldn't let Neighbor Joe down the road do it but you still have neighbor Joe in your contact list (phone contacts LOL).

Both what Aeris and silakka said. Better permission managing, and allow us to add friends without having to get to them.

+1, yes please! need more options for contacts in a work for hire kind of world

+100, currently there is no way to organize the friendslist - and a full friend has way more permissions that you cannot individualize (boat access for one)