Hi, so yesterday in CA somebody asked what the best storage for meals and finished food (casserole, stew etc) was and somebody said a magical chest. After looking it up, I still don't feel like the wurmpedia page has enough info about them, so I decided to make a post here and ask everyone what they know about these chests, how they work, how much storage space they have, how fast they decay etc. And maybe somebody with access could add some of this info to the wurmpedia page for others like me in the future :)

I am also interested in for example with the small chest, if you can have it in your inventory and it only weighs 3kg, can you fill it with meals and use it as a sort of snackpack?

If the SMC is in your inventory with meals inside of it the meals will take damage but an smc inside of a cart with the meals in it, the meals wont decay.

If you can get your hands on a STEEL small magic chest (these exsisted due to "rolfcode" for a short period) then you can store your SMC inside a forge without it taking burning damage. 

I dont recall max storage space of them but to maximize space of them get some fountain containers to put into them.

The decay, they take forever to decay.

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 1

Max storage the same as a nonmagic chest the same size
They only take decay if not opened for a period of time. No-one's 100% of how long, somewhere between a fortnight and two months.

• Like 1

Max storage the same as a nonmagic chest the same size

They only take decay if not opened for a period of time. No-one's 100% of how long, somewhere between a fortnight and two months.

I have a large magical chest and it gets used twice a day if not more easily..  it's taken over 4 months but now has 2.5dmg exactly.

Fountain containers? And thanks, nice tip with the cart! :)

Large Magical chests can fit 4x fountain backpacks inside, however each of those can fit several inside them for mass nested storage.

Small Magical chests cannot fit fountain backpacks at all, only the rarer fountain saucepans.. however, again, you can nest these containers inside of each other for more and more space.

Atm my large magic chest has 4 backpack fountains, and inside one of those has 3 more. I have 7 total inside the large magic chest this way.

I have mine named and sorted, one has almost 100 tools maxed in it, another a couple drake sets and many shields and swords. another is sorted with over 800 gems and yet another is simply holding liquid maple syrup lol.

They are very very useful if you can get your hands on them. HOWEVER, make sure you can lift the weight of the container+fountain otherwise your paying for something you cannot pickup from the mailbox or trade.

edit: DO NOT ever drag the fountain out of the backpack, it's been fixed so that it WILL remove the fountain.. and you cannot place it back.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

Fountain containers? And thanks, nice tip with the cart! :)

There used to be a bug that allowed creating fountains inside other containers. Pans being the most popular version. That bug was fixed ages ago but the items created were declared legal and are now sold by players for obscene prices (50+ eur is normal).

Such fountains have the volume of a normal fountain on the inside, while only taking up as much volume as the pan or whatever on the outside. They can also be stacked inside each other.

• Like 1

I have a large magical chest and it gets used twice a day if not more easily..  it's taken over 4 months but now has 2.5dmg exactly.

Had a small one for well over a year and it had 0dmg

Had a small one for well over a year and it had 0dmg

Randomness indeed. Was it ever pickup or spent most it's time on the ground? My large one has never moved. Wogic at play I guess. Edited by Nomadikhan

Randomness indeed. Was it ever pickup or spent most it's time on the ground? My large one has never moved. Wogic at play I guess.

Had fountainpans in it, so it was never able to be picked up